What's new

BRICK WALLS- NEED MAXIMUM RANGE FROM ONE ROUTER

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris J

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

My house has brick walls, and it is time to upgrade from my Asus n56U.

My connection is 30MB DOWN and 5 UP. Which router will give me the maximum range? The range is a huge priority.

I am not looking for a mesh network. If you have two or three suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Untitledaq456.jpg
    Untitledaq456.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 71
Hello everyone,

My house has brick walls, and it is time to upgrade from my Asus n56U.

My connection is 30MB DOWN and 5 UP. Which router will give me the maximum range? The range is a huge priority.

I am not looking for a mesh network. If you have two or three suggestions, that would be great!

Thanks a lot!

The RT-AC86U at $114 has excellent range.

Amazon.com: ASUS AC2900 WiFi Gaming Router (RT-AC86U) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, WTFast Game Accelerator, Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Adaptive QoS : Everything Else

Maybe the current builds do not suffer from previous hardware issues. Worth a gamble at $114, if that suits your budget and clients.

Otherwise, read up... plenty of AX router recommendations on the forums like the RT-AX86U or S.

OE

On the other hand you could just get an AP and plug it into the Asus and disable WIFI on the Asus. Depending on where you are located you could swing a WIFI6/AX AP for $150.

I'm a bit confused about the requirements here. If your internet connection is just 30/5, why are you in the market for new WiFi gear at all? Even 802.11n WiFi can go much faster than that. Do you have local-bandwidth needs you didn't mention? Maybe you're just afraid the n56U is about to die?

One reason I'm asking is that the most effective solution for penetrating thick walls is usually to use the 2.4GHz band instead of 5GHz (don't even think about 6GHz). Is there a reason you don't want to do that, perhaps interference from neighbors? If you do upgrade, I'd recommend against acquiring WiFi 5 (AC) gear, as 802.11ac only runs in the 5GHz band. You'd want to jump to WiFi 6 (AX), which expands its improved protocols back into the 2.4GHz band.

Thanks for the great questions, everyone!

My smartphones/tablets, laptops, smart TVs, and a ring door cam are the only devices. Maximum of 10 devices total.

My goal is to have excellent range. Yes, 2.4 would probably be fine, especially because I have a relatively slow connection speed.

I am considering replacing my trusty Asus n56U, not because of any technical problems, but because I am hoping for more extended range. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Also, I would like the ability to run a VPN like NORDVPN or PIA on the router.

Thank you @OzarkEdge , @Tech Junky, @tgl, @Tech9, @L&LD

I am considering replacing my trusty Asus n56U, not because of any technical problems, but because I am hoping for more extended range. Is this a reasonable expectation?

Mmm ... the transmitted-power regulations haven't changed any since 802.11n, AFAIK. You might find another device with slightly better performance, but I wouldn't expect miracles. You'd likely have better results from switching to the 2.4 band (if you didn't try that already), and perhaps playing around with the precise location of the router. Even a foot or two can make remarkable difference.

Another point here: is there a strong reason why you don't want to consider multiple APs (that is, a mesh)? If you've got a device or two (like a door cam) that are just too far from the main AP, putting an intermediate node somewhere nearer that device might fix things.

Also, I would like the ability to run a VPN like NORDVPN or PIA on the router.

Well, if you're in need of features you haven't got, that is a credible reason for upgrading.

Maybe 8x8 QCA platform? IE: AX89X? Should technically give the best performance through walls.

I plan on trying one once its around the $300 mark again.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!