What's new

Bridge Mode - Cannot Access Configuration Page

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aaron_A

Occasional Visitor
I have an ADSL home internet connection (PPPoE), using a D-Link DSL-2888A modem-router (recently set to operate in bridge mode) connected to an ASUS AC5300 wireless router (ASUS-Merlin 384.5 firmware).

Since setting the D-Link modem-router to run in Bridge mode, I have been unable to access its browser firmware settings page, which I was able to previously. Does anyone know how I can regain access to this page?

Thank you very much.

I have an ADSL home internet connection (PPPoE), using a D-Link DSL-2888A modem-router (recently set to operate in bridge mode) connected to an ASUS AC5300 wireless router (ASUS-Merlin 384.5 firmware).

Since setting the D-Link modem-router to run in Bridge mode, I have been unable to access its browser firmware settings page, which I was able to previously. Does anyone know how I can regain access to this page?

Thank you very much.
I have configured several ISP supplied modem routers on bridge mode. I also turn off wireless and DHCP server. If I need to connect, I have to use an Ethernet cable. The ISP modem/router is 192.168.1.1. On my Windows 10 laptop, open up control panel > network and internet > network and sharing center > change adapter settings . Right click on the Ethernet adapter. Select Properties. Select internet protocol ipv4. Select properties. Manually assign static ip. Use something like 192.168.1.5. Use default subnet mask. Use 192.168.1.1 as the gateway.

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I use Mac computers. I tried doing what you mentioned, however I still cannot gain access to the Modem-Router that is in Bridge mode. I'm guessing other people must have this problem too? Is there anything else that I could try?

Do you know the IP address of the bridge? If not are you able to see retrieve it from RT-AC5300 networking page? Also, are you also using HTTPS?

Thanks for your reply. I do not know the IP address of the bridge. I do not know where to access that information within the AC5300 networking page. Do you know whereabouts I can find it?

I am currently using HTTP for the ASUS networking page. Should I use HTTPS instead?

Well there should be a Network Map tab in RT-AC5300 somewhere at the top. Go there and then look under Clients or View List and it should give you a list of all the devices that are connected to RT-AC5300 and their IP addresses. See if your media bridge device is listed there, write down its IP and then try to access it from your Mac. Setting up your HTTPS is a different story...that will be up to you if you want more security at either device-frankly your main router will benefit more from this instead of your bridge (I use it on both router and media bridge). Reason I asked whether you had HTTPS set up is that sometimes finding the router login page when this is ON can present some challenges due to security certificates.

Thanks for your help!
I had a look under "Connected Devices", however it only displays the household computers and smart phones. No sign of any media bridge device. Once I locate the bridged device's browser configuration page, I will set that device and my router to use HTTPS.

Sometimes my router does not detect my bridge when I look there so in order to this I restart my bridge and its IP shows up right away. The other thing to consider is using a static IP instead of a dynamic one. You can choose a set IP address for the bridge and this way it will always be on that address. Good luck!

Thanks Marin. I will look into setting up a static IP for my WAN. Any tips on doing so would be appreciated :)

@Marin You are talking about an Asus "Media Bridge", that is something completely different than the OP is asking about. The OP is asking how to access his D-Link modem-router.

Thanks for your reply. I do not know the IP address of the bridge. I do not know where to access that information within the AC5300 networking page. Do you know whereabouts I can find it?

I am currently using HTTP for the ASUS networking page. Should I use HTTPS instead?
Type "arp -a" in the command prompt. This lists a number of MAC addresses with the associated IP addresses. Sometimes, the IP address of the modem/router is labeled on the device. You can then use that information to match it with the IP address assigned to the modem/router.