1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Broken power button

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by jvrobert, Nov 6, 2013.

1. dlandiss

dlandiss Senior Member

The other end of the cord works too. It is really such a small challenge to reach it since I need it only every few months.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

I unplug my routers when needed, even the ones with a switch.

4. C. Hyde

C. Hyde New Around Here

(yeah, unplugging is fine as long as you can unplug both from the outlet side AND from the device side, which is suspect is true for almost all routers...)

ANYWAY, add another victim to the button issue... my router is an RT-AC66R, and I was at my computer and actually HEARD a little "ping" and then saw my internet access icon immediately go off. Sure enough, button had popped out and would not stay when I tried to press it in.

I initially used duct tape to fix, but as many here have stated, it only last about 6 hours. I am now using one of those thick rubber bands that come on clusters of broccoli at the grocery store... took off the feet and one antenna to apply it.

If this stops after a short time, I will try to add in the toothpick idea... will only try to take the router apart per the fix shown here as a last resort. Probably easy, but you never know what can go wrong...

I am thinking there must be some device akin to a binder clip or a clamp with a screw in the middle such that you can clamp it on the back and then tighten the screw to push the button. Like a C clamp, except using a strong spring to clamp and with the screw instead going through the middle of the 'C' to tighten onto something else...

5. videobruce

videobruce Occasional Visitor

I can't believe you guys are using 'band-aid' fixes (at best). Toothpicks, screws, glue, sheesh. :rolleyes:
    Why not just open it up and either jump the contacts on the solder side, or better yet replace the switch. You may even be able to substitute a 'toggle switch' to replace that posh button w/o soldering a switch to the board.

asus-rt-ac66u pwr switch top.jpg asus-rt-ac66u pwr switch PCB.jpg

6. videobruce

The other deal that gets me is I find it hard to believe that micro miniature 1.3mm OD right angle coaxial plug (a disaster on both points) isn't a huge problem. I have never seen a 'barrel' plug that small. There is plenty of room for at least one that is 3.3mm OD & above. That is still less common to match the goofy 'Laptop voltage' (19.5v) that was chosen. :rolleyes:

It's way too thin, and it blocks the power switch (unless these don't have a right angle plug).

7. dlandiss

dlandiss Senior Member

Beware of that approach. Some have reported that there is also a pair of shorting contacts in the switch that close when it is "off."

8. videobruce

Good point. Best to just remove the switch, it looks like there are only 5 solder points. Of course a DMM would be a starting requirement. ;)

9. wouterv

wouterv Very Senior Member

I still suggest the safe and easy approach (no glue, no toothpick, no duct tape, no soldering, no new parts):
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/broken-power-button.13601/page-4#post-228266

I agree that the power socket and plug of the RT-N66U/RT-AC66U are very tiny and not well located, due to careful treatment it still survived on my RT-N66U.
    Since some time the blue LED's are degrading.
    For now the RT-N66U serves fine as Media Bridge, connected to the RT-AC68U.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  10. Keenan

Keenan Regular Contributor

I popped the cover on the case, pulled the spring out of the switch, pushed it down until it set, and put the cover back on. While I haven't used the router for a few months now as I installed an AC86U, it worked perfectly fine for the few months after the fix. I just used the power cord to turn it on and off.

11. hank81

hank81 Regular Contributor

LEDs on my RT-AC68 are also very degraded. After 4 years the ones that are 24h lighted on are only visible in dark. I had to switch on the stealth mode to prevent them from failing off completely.

Sent from my XT1635-02 via Tapatalk

12. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Or you could remove the accumulated layer of dust ;)

hank81 likes this.
  13. Widmark

Widmark Occasional Visitor

I joined the club on my RT-AC66U. What a weird way to lose internet!

Opened it up after removing screws, pulled the spring, and 10 minutes later back in business. I’ve had this router a long time and ASUS is still supporting updates... have had Linksys, D-Link...and ASUS is still the best at this price point and I will buy another one when ready. Hopefully they spent a few more cents for better switches on newer models though.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!