What's new

[Bug] GT-AX6000 - swappiness=0 causing issues when swap is needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wow - 300 mb! My swap starts at about 90% memory usage and allocates about 4mb initially and grows to about 20+- mb over time. On the prior version of Merlin GT-AX6000_386.7_2,
Swapping would start at about 20 mb and the highest I saw was 55 mb.

Maybe a hardware difference, but I wish mine would swap more because the webpage locks up sometimes when I go into logs -especially skynet.
Yeah, this is more of an experiment than anything else as I don't want to do a cold reboot. As of today the used swap seems to be growing by ~50MB daily, most likely caused by nightly blocking list updates.

I'm waiting for the new Merlin build to give my router the reboot it really needs, and do at least one of: setting up reboot scheduler / reduce the frequency of blocking list updates.

So, missed the entire point of this thread then.

Since this popped back up to the top of the stack of unread threads - as @RMerlin mentions - the BSP is tuned to a specific set of parameters with regards to memory usage.

Taking things out of that range...

1) Swap File - you'll have to define that and where it lives
2) Adjust swappiness accordingly - 10 is a decent value, don't swap unless you really, really need to as next step is the OOM killer to destroy your tasks...

Fresh setup with Adguard Home

Adguard is a memory pig - it will consume and lock down every free bit of ram/swap you can allocate...

Nifty software, nifty idea - but it needs work upstream - not an AsusWRT problem...

Still trying to find a way to reduce adguards memory footprint

Your blocklists are too large. AGH is working fine with default ads blocklists plus phishing/malware from the list.

I ended up almost having to reset - Adguard home still took up an absurd AMT of memory but I refused to reboot. The swap usage stabilized at 300MB and it ran fine for couple of days...but last night AGH completely died on me and brought down Dnsmasq too.

Reboot / killing process didn't work as AGH would restart, work for less than a min while taking all the remaining memory, then stop responding again. It was so bad that when I tried to uninstall from the AGH installer script, the script got stuck right before loading up the menu. I had to comment out the parameter printing + menu part and call the uninstall function first thing to bring my router back.

It might be that skynet, installed after AGH, was interfering. I reinstalled both and all look normal now (~200MB free mem as opposed to ~30). I still run a large blocking list. Will see what happens (only difference is I am running edge build. Not that it makes much difference - I guess it's just that my AXE11000 is cursed)

Last edited: