What's new

BUG: RT-AC66 .9135 gui/function issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrSinatra

Occasional Visitor
hi,

sorry if this is already reported. i have seen it in older firmwares as well.

i have the .9135 fw on the RT-AC66 and overall i like it. however there still is a bug which has been there for the past few versions. i use win7 with Chrome browser, but issue exists in IE as well.

when you click "Wireless" on the lefthand side, the first option on the right at the top is "Band" and you are supposed to be able to choose 5ghz or 2.4ghz. mine showed 5ghz, and when clicked, no other options! so 2.4 configs were not available!

i did eventually find a workaround. if you choose "Network Map" on the lefthand side, and then choose the 2.4 tab on the system status column, and then do back to "Wireless" the 2.4 config options now show! however, now the 5ghz can't be seen or clicked at "Band" ...the issue exists on the professional tab as well.

this is very obviously, imo, a bug of the fw UI, and even though i found this workaround, i think it should be fixed as it greatly impacts function, esp for those who are ignorant of the workaround.

i would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this issue? thx.

This is usually caused by a corrupted nvram setting, that was caused by an older firmware version from a year or two ago. Do a factory default reset, and manually reconfigure your router.

is that when you hold the reset button 5 seconds? do you do that after its on and running?

also, i have 30 DHCP reservations, which i will lose doing a reset. can i save them by doing a "save setting" on the administration tab, and then restore them? or will that defeat the purpose of the reset?

is that when you hold the reset button 5 seconds? do you do that after its on and running?

That's correct.

also, i have 30 DHCP reservations, which i will lose doing a reset. can i save them by doing a "save setting" on the administration tab, and then restore them? or will that defeat the purpose of the reset?

You could try using @john9527 's backup/restoration script (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521), but I don't remember if he takes care of fixing the corrupted setting.

You could also try manually fixing the two corrupted nvram setting, however I can't track down the post where I listed the two settings that need to be fixed - it's somewhere on the forums. It was wl0_nmode/wl1_nmode or wl0_gmode/wl1_gmode, I can't remember. See if perhaps you could track it down on the forums.

You could try using @john9527 's backup/restoration script (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=19521), but I don't remember if he takes care of fixing the corrupted setting.

You could also try manually fixing the two corrupted nvram setting, however I can't track down the post where I listed the two settings that need to be fixed - it's somewhere on the forums. It was wl0_nmode/wl1_nmode or wl0_gmode/wl1_gmode, I can't remember. See if perhaps you could track it down on the forums.
@MrSinatra

Here's a post with the nvram commands to fix the 2.4/5 Ghz issue

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/two-issues-with-merlin.21447/#post-155004

Right now my save/restore tool doesn't auto correct this issue (I just made a note to include it in the next release). But you could use the tool, then use the commands above to avoid having to re-enter everything. You really should take the time to do the factory reset to make sure that the internal setting stored in nvram are in sync with the firmware you are using.

i want to thank you both for your informative replies. i am partial to using the reset button, b/c i'm not experienced with running scripts.

it would be nice if the FW allowed a user to backup only the DHCP reservations, and/or other similar settings that could be safely restored after any given FW upgrades. obviously, this creates a lot of extra work for me every time the FW upgrade also needs the reset used.

i would like to also request an improvement to the DHCP reservations that i have seen on other routers. when you are on the 'DHCP Server' tab, i would like the columns for manually assigned IPs to be sortable, esp the IP Address column. also, i would like a 4th column added, that allows the admin to enter his own txt string notes about the given IP reservation. it would have no other impact, its just for the admin's benefit, (helps the brain remember).

thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!