What's new

Build 3.0.0.4.220.17 are out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In the last official (.178) if you have a wired connection and have QOS enabled it slows down the wirless clients online gaming. As soon as I disable it, all is well.

CC

Then I don't know - you will have to give it a try.

I'm admiring your constitution, Eric! You must have been working day and night to finish that Sisyphus-like task...

Thanks for not giving up... I appreciate your work very much indeed.

Mostly nights. I have a daytime job (tho when it gets quiet I do tend to VPN back home to do some more tinkering ;) )

Does it matter what firmware we are upgrading from? I have not upgraded my firmware at all so its probably very old.

Yes, it depends on which firmware you were running previously. To summarize it:

RT-N66U:
- Upgrading from a 64KB-enabled firmware (which means Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.220, or Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.3.144.10 and newer): no need to erase.
- Upgrading from a non-64 KB enabled firmware (any version older than these previously mentioned): you must erase your settings.

RT-AC66U:
- No need to erase.

Upgrading from Tomato or DD-WRT will always require you to erase your settings.

On the power adjustment the following is listed:

FCC channel 34~48 max: 50mW for North America.
FCC channel 149~165 max: 1000mW for North America.
ETSI max: 200mW for Europe, South America and APAC.
The real Tx power is automatically adjusted due to regional regulatory.

How does the router determine what region you are in?

On the power adjustment the following is listed:

FCC channel 34~48 max: 50mW for North America.
FCC channel 149~165 max: 1000mW for North America.
ETSI max: 200mW for Europe, South America and APAC.
The real Tx power is automatically adjusted due to regional regulatory.

How does the router determine what region you are in?

It's set in the CFE based on where you purchased it.

- Upgrading from a non-64 KB enabled firmware (any version older than these previously mentioned): you must erase your settings.

Sorry, but I have to ask the next obvious (and probably silly) question. What is the proper way to "erase" the settings? Or more to the point, what is the proper procedure to upgrade from a non-64KB enabled firmware to this one? Is it not as simple as uploading it using the web interface?

Thanks!

Sorry, but I have to ask the next obvious (and probably silly) question. What is the proper way to "erase" the settings? Or more to the point, what is the proper procedure to upgrade from a non-64KB enabled firmware to this one? Is it not as simple as uploading it using the web interface?

Thanks!

The procedure I recommend:

1) Upload the new firmware over the web interface, like any regular upgrade.
2) Once the router is done upgrading and is rebooted, turn it off.
3) Press the WPS button and keep it pressed.
4) Turn the router on
5) Wait 5-10 secs, then release the WPS button
6) Reconfigure everything once it's done booting (router will be back to 192.168.1.1 if you had ever changed it before)

Thank you so much Merlin for your hard work :).

I'll skip this release since I know Asus will include many bugs and I bet your version of their next release will be much, much better, but I still appreciate all your work and support.

On a side note, I know this is probably not the place but I'm not looking for one of those super expensive super complicated NAS.

I have the RT-N66U and I want a 2TB (or around that) external hard drive that I could leave permanently on and hooked to the usb port of the router, reliable enough to have a low failure rate and be able to work at least for a couple of years 24/7... any specific suggestions? (don't want to overpay; looking for as cheap as I can buy something reliable)

Thank you so much Merlin for your hard work :).

I'll skip this release since I know Asus will include many bugs and I bet your version of their next release will be much, much better, but I still appreciate all your work and support.

Build 220 is actually pretty solid so far.

On my end, only two or three minor issues reported so far, which will be fixed this weekend with 220.18.

On a side note, I know this is probably not the place but I'm not looking for one of those super expensive super complicated NAS.

I have the RT-N66U and I want a 2TB (or around that) external hard drive that I could leave permanently on and hooked to the usb port of the router, reliable enough to have a low failure rate and be able to work at least for a couple of years 24/7... any specific suggestions? (don't want to overpay; looking for as cheap as I can buy something reliable)[/SIZE]

As in anything, you get what you pay for. I never had any positive experiences with low-end NAS with my customers. Best to spend a bit more and get something like the entry-level QNAPs. They cost more, but they will last you much longer.

Can that be adjusted? And will it tell you you cannot select a certain power based on a region if you try?

Look on these forums, people have posted the settings you can try to change to switch the location.

6rd?

Anyone had any luck using a 6rd tunnel? I can only get the settings to work with wireless devices as every time I enable 6rd all of my wired devices lose their internet connection until I disable it and reboot the router??

I figured out how to change it, but do not know which country code is the least restrictive.

Europe has more channels, the US has higher power limits. Can't win them all...

I lost my 5G signal. All settings are okay as far as i can see.
But my 5G has disappeared. Anyone else with this problem?
My region setting is GMT+1 (Amsterdam)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!