What's new

Built in VPN's. How much do they slow down the speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TSV

Occasional Visitor
I like the idea of a built in VPN, but I have seen that it slows down your connection. If I have Virgin 1 Gig connection, how much slower would it be using the built in VPN? Is the AXE11000 ET12 going to be faster than the AXE7800?
Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @TSV.

The older ET12 will be faster (2GHz vs 1.7GHz quad-core processor).

But both will take a huge toll on your ISP speeds (about 70% less, depending on the remote server you're connecting to).

What do you like about VPN? Are you connecting to another server you control at a distance? Or...?

Hi, thanks for replying.
I download tv shows etc, some I can only watch with a VPN as I live in the UK. I also download the occasional torrent. I've tried Nord
VPN but it was very slow. I'm hoping the router VPN will be faster, and if not, at least it will be free. I don't think I'll ever need to use my router connection on my phone when I'm away, it's just to mask my ip so my ISP can't see it.

The built-in VPN options on a router won't be faster. Again, it depends on what distant server they are connecting to. They also cannot change the apparent location you're trying to view your shows from.

Do you actually have a 1Gbps ISP (with symmetrical up/down speeds)? No consumer router will get you anywhere close to those speeds, even if the server you're connecting to also has symmetrical 1Gbps service.

I'm hoping the router VPN will be faster

No, the router hardware is slower than any modern PC hardware, also slower than many modern phones. With ET12 you can get about 200-250Mbps on OpenVPN and about 400-500Mbps on WireGuard, where supported and if the server on the other side allows such speeds. Most commercial VPNs don't.

and if not, at least it will be free

You still need VPN account. Free accounts are usually restricted to number of devices, traffic and speed.

I have a 1Gbps symmetrical fiber optic connection. Just for giggles I just ran the following speed test about 20 mins ago from my RT-AX86U router.

No VPN
11-06 13;31;23  2023.jpg

With ExpressVPN running via OpenVPN Client
11-06 13;35;03  2023.jpg

ExpressVPN is selling an Aircove router with ExpressVPN built in. They claim 1,200Mbps with a little astrix admitting that speed was under ideal conditions with the VPN disconnect. I couldn't find any speed claims with the VPN connected.

HTH

ExpressVPN is selling an Aircove router with ExpressVPN built in. They claim 1,200Mbps with a little astrix admitting that speed was under ideal conditions with the VPN disconnect. I couldn't find any speed claims with the VPN connected.

The Aircove Router from ExpressVPN is a GL-Inet GL-AX1800 router - with that device, one can expect around 112Mb/Sec w/OpenVPN

They're decent enough devices, Aircove/Flashrouters is selling them at a 100 percent premium, so just be warned...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!