What's new

buy DS-508 or TS-509

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spikehome

Regular Contributor
Hi,

i use now a synology ds106 but want a fast raid5 nas.
And not sure witch to choose, the synology ds-508 or the qnap ts-509??
Want use the box for keeping data/backup.
Also to rsync other (internet placed) boxes to backup.

Any good suggestion to choose for one of them?

Or better wait for the new thecus 7700 or readynas pro??
________
IT200

Last edited:
Readynas pro is available now. See link below. Price is high, but performance is unmatched by other NAS appliances. if this is too much go for the Synology DS508 or 408.

http://www.eaegis.com/items/data-storage/nas/sata/netgear-readynas-pro-business-edition/list.htm

Hi,

i use now a synology ds106 but want a fast raid5 nas.
And not sure witch to choose, the synology ds-508 or the qnap ts-509??
Want use the box for keeping data/backup.
Also to rsync other (internet placed) boxes to backup.

Any good suggestion to choose for one of them?

Or better wait for the new thecus 7700 or readynas pro??

Last edited:
We've been working with a few of the TS509 units. With the latest firmware loaded, you'll have no complaints with them.

Rsync is working very well in testing. For multi-user access the dual LAN in load balancing mode is now working well, and the eSATA port has quite a few options for automated backup, (once you connect an eSATA drive), scheduled backup, or just plugging in a drive for extending storage space.

Wake on Lan and scheduled start/shutdown is a nice feature which is also working well with the latest code.

Hope that helps.

I prefer Synology only because they seem to be more responsive to support issues. The Synology boxes also seem to have fewer long term lingering issues. Obviously, your mileage may vary. Qnap is no slouch, I just prefer Synology over them (at least here in the US).

Or, you can wait a couple weeks and look into the Readynas Pro. it should be available worldwide very soon.

Prices are here (Holland) not yet available, but a synology ds508 cost here 859 euro and a qnap ts509 cost 799 euro both without disks.

And why u prefer the ds508?

We've been working with a few of the TS509 units. With the latest firmware loaded, you'll have no complaints with them.

Rsync is working very well in testing. For multi-user access the dual LAN in load balancing mode is now working well, and the eSATA port has quite a few options for automated backup, (once you connect an eSATA drive), scheduled backup, or just plugging in a drive for extending storage space.

Wake on Lan and scheduled start/shutdown is a nice feature which is also working well with the latest code.

Hope that helps.

The scheduled start/shutdown is a nice options that the qnap has, but also the wol feature i like.

Both options that the synology not have (huh shutdown is possible).

tnx for your information about rsync.
________
halfbaked

Last edited:
I prefer Synology only because they seem to be more responsive to support issues. The Synology boxes also seem to have fewer long term lingering issues. Obviously, your mileage may vary. Qnap is no slouch, I just prefer Synology over them (at least here in the US).

Or, you can wait a couple weeks and look into the Readynas Pro. it should be available worldwide very soon.
Tnx, my current ds106 works 2 years already very fine, only it's a slow nas and want raid 5 more secure for my data and more speed when transferring data..

Tnx for answering
________
easy vape

Last edited:
Last edited:
the nv+ is about 2 years old, so its of the older generation and can not compete with most modern 4 bay nases performance wise (naturally).

the featureset is up to par though since the firmware is continually getting updated.

nothing i have seen so far can compete with the readynas pro though. it blows away pretty much everything i have seen.

maybe the thecus n7700 will come close.. but then again, that one only got 1 gige port. im waiting for reviews of both the pro and the n7700 here on smallnetbuilder.

oh by the way..

teracopy-from-ramdisk-to-nas-2gbfile.jpg

thats a copy of a 2gb file from a ramdisk to my pro (had to use a 2gb file because i only got 4gb of ram).

why a ramdisk you ask? simple.. my wd raptor was too slow to keep up with the pro :)

nice speed.
I think the pro is a bit over my budget fortunaly.

that means the run stay's at the synology ds508 and the qnap ts509.
Compared some speeds between them.
And so far i can see is the processor from the ds-508 to slow.
With raid 5 read and wite speed with larger files the transfer getting to slow.
(why the nasses don't have a seperated raid processor :()
________
Yamaha DT125

Last edited:
The NAS units wouldn't benefit a great deal from hardware RAID anyway...other than for RAID5 writes. In some recent testing here a 3 drive RAID 0 array tested in at about 150MB/s (writes) using the motherboard's Nvidia RAID controller vs the Adaptec 3405 PCIe controller (4 drive RAID 0) at about 200MB/s writes. Had the Nvidia embedded test used a 4 drive array instead of three, the numbers would likely been similar.

Now if your NAS has one LAN connection, then 100 MB/s or so seems to be the gigabit limit and will be as good as it gets. For RAID 0 writes over the LAN (Vista SP1 workstation, Adaptec 3405 RAID 0 array, 4 drives, 2.5GHz core2duo), we're getting about 87MB/s measured using a 5.3GB file set copy. If that machine was using RAID 5 instead of RAID 0, we'd likely max out at ~50MB/s. Looking at various reviews, it would seem that going from RAID 0 to RAID 5 typically halves the write performance of the hardware cards due to the parity calculations/writes. Intel ICH7 (onboard) RAID5 writes were about 25MB/s and the Nvidia (680SLI) RAID5 writes were a dismal 10MB/s or so....so 50MB/s from the 3405 is not as bad as it sounds.

The TS509 already performs at ~50MB/s write, and ~85MB/s read in our tests. Update it to 4GB of memory and files under 3.5GB or so will write to it's RAM at just over 100MB/s. This may sound terribly confusing, but essentially I'm saying that for a Gigabit NAS unit like the TS509, (and similar units) hardware RAID beyond what they're using right now would likely not make a huge difference given wire speed limitations for typical use.

Now if you're copying 500GB files to the NAS, and you want two workstations to be able to do this at 100MB/s all day...forget NAS units and just build a workstation with a RAID controller, 8 drives, and dual gigabit LAN.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!