What's new

Cannot connect to a remote computer after *it* connects to a VPN.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phrozt

New Around Here
Here's the setup:

- Router: TM AC1900 running as RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware 3.0.0.4.380_4164
- I have win10 desktop (personal) computer and a win10 laptop (work) computer.
- Desktop is hardwired to router
- Laptop is connected via wifi. It's 3 ft away, but all other hard lines are taken.
- Normal use is: I connect from the desktop to the laptop so that I can keep all work on the laptop, and still be able to utilize 2 screens/other connections/etc from the desktop.
- From time to time, for work, I'll need to disconnect from the laptop, connect it to a VPN, and then I will connect back to the laptop from my desktop (which is another reason why I have this configuration).

The offender here is Cisco AnyConnect. I've used this w/multiple clients previously, but w/this latest connection, my desktop can no longer see my laptop (and vice versa) after the laptop is connected to this latest VPN. I've also been able to use loads of other VPN software with no issue.

It does seem that this latest connection does a lot to the IPV4 tables, so that may be one of the issues.

Things I've tried:
- Flushdns
- Connect to the laptop via IP
- Adding my router as a gateway in the IPV4 table, but that didn't work.
- Setting static routes both from laptop -> desktop and desktop -> laptop. I have never done this before, so maybe that could be an issue.
- Checked to make sure "Allow local LAN access when using VPN if configured" is checked in the Cisco settings.

Let me know if I need to share tables/stats/etc to help troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like a split tunnel vs a full tunnel issue. I'm not familiar with the VPN clients or services, but I've seen this type of thing when setting up Ipsec VPNs before.

Here's the setup:

- Router: TM AC1900 running as RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware 3.0.0.4.380_4164
- I have win10 desktop (personal) computer and a win10 laptop (work) computer.
- Desktop is hardwired to router
- Laptop is connected via wifi. It's 3 ft away, but all other hard lines are taken.
- Normal use is: I connect from the desktop to the laptop so that I can keep all work on the laptop, and still be able to utilize 2 screens/other connections/etc from the desktop.
- From time to time, for work, I'll need to disconnect from the laptop, connect it to a VPN, and then I will connect back to the laptop from my desktop (which is another reason why I have this configuration).

The offender here is Cisco AnyConnect. I've used this w/multiple clients previously, but w/this latest connection, my desktop can no longer see my laptop (and vice versa) after the laptop is connected to this latest VPN. I've also been able to use loads of other VPN software with no issue.

It does seem that this latest connection does a lot to the IPV4 tables, so that may be one of the issues.

Things I've tried:
- Flushdns
- Connect to the laptop via IP
- Adding my router as a gateway in the IPV4 table, but that didn't work.
- Setting static routes both from laptop -> desktop and desktop -> laptop. I have never done this before, so maybe that could be an issue.
- Checked to make sure "Allow local LAN access when using VPN if configured" is checked in the Cisco settings.

Let me know if I need to share tables/stats/etc to help troubleshoot this.

Thanks!
Read this guide. At the bottom of the guide I explain how to remote desktop to win 10 pc
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...th-asus-routers-380-66-4-updated-06-06.33638/