What's new

Cannot Do USB to USB Backup on AC86U Like I Did With N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crobs808

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I just replaced my N66U (running Merlin FW) with the better AC86U (running Asuswrt-Merlin 384.7_2), but I cannot find out how to do USB to USB backup like I had configured with the N66U router. Basically, I have 2x 4TB drives (one named "Primary" and one "Secondary") both hooked up to the Asus router via USB cables.

In the root of the Primary drive we have Pictures, Videos, Music, etc and everyone on the network access that to put their files there. The Secondary drive has one folder called "Backup" which contains a copy of Primary's root structure. On the N66U this would always just stay in sync - anytime someone adds files to Primary, the diff would be copied over to the Secondary.

I have both drives hooked up to the AC86U, but I cannot seem to find how to configure USB to USB backup in the router interface like I did when the drives were hooked up to the N66U. Was this option taken away? Can I not have constant sync between USB devices that are both plugged into the same router anymore?

Thank you for your help!

P.S. - I know I know...the backup drive is in the same location as the main drive, but the goal here is simply to have redundancy in the same location, not offsite backup. So I would appreciate with help doing the same thing I was already doing, and not recommending a completely different idea (e.g. Carbonite or other offsite solutions, as that's not what I need right now).

Last edited:
I have both drives hooked up to the AC86U, but I cannot seem to find how to configure USB to USB backup in the router interface like I did when the drives were hooked up to the N66U. Was this option taken away? Can I not have constant sync between USB devices that are both plugged into the same router anymore?
I don't remember that ever being an option provided by the router. I'm guessing you must have installed some third party software to do that, probably rsync.

Last edited:
I don't remember that ever being an option provided by the router. I'm guessing you must have installed some third party software to do that, probably rsync.

It was a part of N66U Merlin firmware. I didn't install anything. How do I install apps like rsync on my new AC86U router?

It was a part of N66U Merlin firmware. I didn't install anything.
I also had an N66U running Merlin's firmware from April 2014 onward and don't remember seeing anything like that. If you can describe how exactly it worked (was there a menu in the GUI, how often did it sync, how did you define the source and destination directories, etc.?) we might be able to recreate it.