What's new

Cannot update firmware via Mac tried multiple browsers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dfranco

New Around Here
I know there are a lot of posts on here covering the "Invalid Firmware Upload To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third-party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware." but after reading those and troubleshooting the only solution is to grab a PC running Windows and it uploads the updated to firmware 386.5_2 no problem via Chrome. I tried Safari, Chrome, and Brave on my MBP running Catalina 10.15.7. I ran into this same issue with the previous firmware update but I'd like to find a solution so I don't have to grab a PC every time I need to update the firmware. I tried clearing the cache, and rebooting the router (RT-AC88U) but still had no success on my Mac via any of the 3 browsers. Does anyone have suggestions or further troubleshooting to find a solution for firmware updating on a Mac?

Trade the Mac for a PC? :)

I know there are a lot of posts on here covering the "Invalid Firmware Upload To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third-party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware." but after reading those and troubleshooting the only solution is to grab a PC running Windows and it uploads the updated to firmware 386.5_2 no problem via Chrome. I tried Safari, Chrome, and Brave on my MBP running Catalina 10.15.7. I ran into this same issue with the previous firmware update but I'd like to find a solution so I don't have to grab a PC every time I need to update the firmware. I tried clearing the cache, and rebooting the router (RT-AC88U) but still had no success on my Mac via any of the 3 browsers. Does anyone have suggestions or further troubleshooting to find a solution for firmware updating on a Mac?
Interesting.
I generally just update over wifi using iPad, works fine.
Been a while, but I’ve used Mac (mini) in the past - all good.
I don’t know what to suggest…..

"Invalid firmware" often comes up when trying to upload the wrong model. Double check that you downloaded the correct router model.

Interesting.
I generally just update over wifi using iPad, works fine.
Been a while, but I’ve used Mac (mini) in the past - all good.
I don’t know what to suggest…..
My wife has a newer MBP with the latest OS so I will attempt it on her laptop when she gets home to see if I can narrow it down to an issue with my laptop specifically. Didn't know you could do it with an iPad but I don't have one. Maybe I'll even give it a go on my iPhone.
"Invalid firmware" often comes up when trying to upload the wrong model. Double check that you downloaded the correct router model.
While I will admit I've been guilty of this in the past (RT-AX88U vs RT-AC88U) but I've triple-checked I've got the correct model firmware. I was coming from 386.4 to 386.5_2 so I even tried updating to 386.5 first, no dice. Also tried just taking the latest firmware from stock ASUSWRT, no dice, same error.
Trade the Mac for a PC? :)
There is no going back lol my 9-year-old MPB has given me fewer issues than my brand new PC I bought last year. Which has massively depreciated and I'm bound to take a total bath on now selling used.

Ok, just uploaded the firmware update on my wife's MBP via Safari, and worked like a charm. So looks like it's my laptop-specific issue which isn't a worry for me cause this thing is about to get repurposed soon. Interesting error but doesn't seem common enough to investigate.