What's new

GT-AX6000 can't update firmware and other settings...need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Renovatio

Occasional Visitor
Hi!

Just discovered this amazing forum and I already need your help.

I am going crazy with this router: I noticed that I couldn't rename (in any way) the clients name and after further investigation I noticed that I couldn't run the internal speed test anymore, meaning that you run it but it just shows the last one performed last year, and in the end that the firmware is 3.0.0.4.386_48823-gcd7dcc4 and discovered it's a July 22 firmware. If I press the "check update" firmware button it runs but then confirm this is the last update available but I know it's not. I tried to manually update the firmware, downloading it from the official Asus Router Rog GT-AX6000 page, but it just gave me "unsuccessful" and restarted. I also tried to update it with Merlin firmware but I got the same result.

I tried to update the firmware after:

- Restart it
- Reset it
- Reset via internal tool (factory default deleting the setting)
- Hard reset
- Update from Mac, from Windows 11 Notebook, from Windows 10 PC

Nothing. Always "Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again."

I also tried to connect via recovery mode but the desktop couldn't connect to it and I am doubtful it was really in recovery mode even if I followed the instructions and tried 3 times.

Funny thing: if I check via mobile App on my tablet or phone, it shows that there's a firmware update available and it's the correct one, the last release, but if I run it via app it just stops at 15% with an error and the router reboots.

I don't know what to do anymore and I'm going crazy with this.

I hope someone has a suggestion and can help me to make it work. Thank you!

Last edited:
You might have a faulty router...would you be able to exchange it? Where did you buy it? If after resetting you're still having issues you may want to contact Asus for RMA/exchange.

Last edited:
I had this issue before same router put it in rescue mode use the Asus firmware recovery tool and flash the latest firmware. Let it reboot then do a factory reset and you should be all set

I had this issue before same router put it in rescue mode use the Asus firmware recovery tool and flash the latest firmware. Let it reboot then do a factory reset and you should be all set

This gives me some hope but when I tried it didn't work so I have some questions:
- When setting your IP address some guides by ASUS say to use .10 ending some other .12, I guess it's not relevant right?
- A part setting the IP address and the subnet mask, do I need to input anything else?
- Any proper updated guide to suggest? The ASUS ones are really old. My concern is that following those I can't reach the point where the power light blink slowly, I've got the impression that the router just rebooted

Thanks!

set IP to .10 like Asus suggests with the Normal 255 subnet now on this model I inplugged it from power push the reset button put power back to it and keep holding that reset until the ROG top light starts flashing then it’s in rescue mode

set IP to .10 like Asus suggests with the Normal 255 subnet now on this model I inplugged it from power push the reset button put power back to it and keep holding that reset until the ROG top light starts flashing then it’s in rescue mode

Nope... I tried, spent one hour there and nothing. It just can't go in rescue mode. I am sure I followed your steps and the one by Asus, also tried some other way described in this forum but nothing.

I am surrendering to the idea to buy a new one :-( probably I'll try Tp-Link...

You are extracting the file from the zip archive?
Have seen before where people try to upgrade with the zip then it fails as you need to extract the firmware file.

You are extracting the file from the zip archive?
Have seen before where people try to upgrade with the zip then it fails as you need to extract the firmware file.

Yes, as I stated the problem is the rescue mode and relative connection not the injection of the FW

Most of the newer Asus models do not use 192.168.1.1 for default address so 192.168.1.10 may not work.
Newer models use 192.168.50.1 so maybe try 192.168.50.10

Most of the newer Asus models do not use 192.168.1.1 for default address so 192.168.1.10 may not work.
Newer models use 192.168.50.1 so maybe try 192.168.50.10
That wouldn't prevent the op getting into rescue mode in the first place. Just helping get back on subject ;)

Forget about recovery mode.
Latest firmware is the new 3.0.0.6 branch so updating from 3.0.0.4.386 may not work through the GUI as it is so old.
Might try to update to 3.0.0.4.388 branch then if that succeeds update to 3.0.0.6
See if if last 388 will update through the GUI: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/GT-AX6000/FW_GT_AX6000_300438823285.zip?model=GT-AX6000

I already tried with an old 388 one but didn't worked. I tried with yours now and all I got was unsuccessful update and the router losing all the settings. Interesting that after recreating my wifi networks and user and pass, I tried to upload the config and it just reset again, without getting any old setting :-(

I'm done. I tried everything and lost too much time over this (3 days), I'll just get a new one and after long thinking I'll give another try with ASUS, GT-AX11000 or RT-AXE7800.

I tried to upload the config and it just reset again, without getting any old setting

What router is the backup config from?
If it is another model of router then that will not work.
If from your model it may be corrupted.
If you can reset the router just set it all back up again manually.

What router is the backup config from?
If it is another model of router then that will not work.
If from your model it may be corrupted.
If you can reset the router just set it all back up again manually.

Yea Kev is obviously from the same router :)

GT-AX11000 or RT-AXE7800.

GT-AX11000 is older hardware router, RT-AXE7800 is not a high-end model, much weaker CPU, weak 2x2 6E radio, unpopular and with no Asuswrt-Merlin support. Better look at GT-AX11000 Pro model.

GT-AX11000 is older hardware router, RT-AXE7800 is not a high-end model, much weaker CPU, weak 2x2 6E radio, unpopular and with no Asuswrt-Merlin support. Better look at GT-AX11000 Pro model.
yes, sorry I meant the Pro version, looks good (a part the design ahah)just the price is still high and I’d like a not gaming version this time but looks like there’s not.

Non gaming version of GT-AX6000 is RT-AX88U Pro.

BTW the RT-AX88U looks a valid alternative

RT-AX88U Pro. The same hardware router as GT-AX6000, minor differences. It's also newer model, released later.

RT-AX88U Pro. The same hardware router as GT-AX6000, minor differences. It's also newer model, released later.
In the end I opted for this model, the features are in line with my needs, the price was already ok and Amazon had also a small discount on it so I decided to buy it. I hope that the problems with my current routers are more a single case of something wrong with it than a real issue with Asus general quality.

Thanks everyone for the help! Maybe one day someone would find a solution to fix it and I can still try to resell it…

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!