What's new

Cant access DDNS name inside LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ontwowheels

Occasional Visitor
I thought this was called NAT loopback, maybe not.

Currently using the Asus DDNS service to access to IP cams from the internet, works fine. Port forwarding at all setup correctly. When I am connected to my network instead of the internet I can not access ddns-name.asuscomm.com. I have to access the cams with 192.168.x.x and not the ddns-name....so this breaks the apps I currently have configured on my devices.

Can this be fixed? Haven't had this issues with previous routers.

Running 378.50 on RT-AC68U (Former TM-AC1900)

THANKS

I solved my problem with this using hosts.postconf by adding a line like

echo "192.168.1.1 ddns-name.asuscomm.com ddns-name" >> /etc/hosts

If dhcp points your clients back to the router for DNS resolution than when on your LAN you will get the local address.

I think you can do this through the GUI as well if you set the device name in the LAN tab and the domain name in the DHCP tab.

If dhcp points your clients back to the router for DNS resolution than when on your LAN you will get the local address.

I think you can do this through the GUI as well if you set the device name in the LAN tab and the domain name in the DHCP tab.

Not sure what you mean with the GUI option....

And thanks for the help!!

Not sure what you mean with the GUI option....

Simply that you can achieve the same effect using the web interface without needing to mess with SSH and the config files, if you're not comfortable with that. Doing that did something else I didn't like but it was awhile ago and I don't remember exactly what. It wasn't that it didn't work just something that annoyed me and was easy to fix in the scripts.

I made the entry into the /etc/hosts file, saved it..didn't work. Rebooted the router and my entry is gone....sigh

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!