What's new

Cant access samba usb shared folder

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

luigis3rdcousin

New Around Here
Hey everybody im new here. I got an ASUS RT-AX56U, i am trying to setup samba on a usb 3.0 drive for a quick network shared folder between two computers in the house. I have followed the online instructions, and when i goto network, and type in 192.168.50.1, instead of showing me the usb folder system, it makes me login to my router admin page on thr web browser.... If i go back to network folder, i see my router there, and double click it, same thing, loads up web page to the admin page for the router.
capture1.PNG

Ive tried setting up a password on a folder, it kept coming back saying that it was the incorrect password, with network error 550. Ive tried it without the password and still makes me login to the routers admin page.

Ive also turned on the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and still having the same problems. Ive tried FTP server, and FTP ALMOST WORKED.... I was able to get a folder to show up, and attempt to share a video on there and it crashed 1/4 into it and came up with that 550 error again.

I know very little about networking.
Okay my laptop is an HP elitebook 745 G6 running windows 10 pro.
The usb drive is just a cheap western digital blue usb 3.0 drive. Its been formatted. with RW permissions set to on.
I must be missing something here. Ive followed the known instructions out there for this and it still fails.
HELP

When you go to "Network" you need to click on the "Computer" named "WDUSB".

Alternatively you can enter \\192.168.50.1\ from the Run dialog box.
Untitled.png

Right now it’s working but write speeds is 10mbps. And read speed is 40mbps.
I know my WD drive isn’t great but usually on the computer it writes 40-80 on average and reads over 80-100. Just a limitation of the routers nas speed? Would it make it faster if I got a usb ssd drive?

Your screen shot showed a Sandisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 USB Flash Drive, not a WD disk. Those speeds would be about right for a flash drive. Asus routers make for poorly performing NASes.

Your screen shot showed a Sandisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 USB Flash Drive, not a WD disk. Those speeds would be about right for a flash drive. Asus routers make for poorly performing NASes.
WD blue is a usb drive FYI that’s what’s it’s called. I’ll show you it’s blue too lol

Anyways. I had an m.2 usb 3.0 adapter with a 256gb micron sata m.2 ssd. I format ntfs inside the router. Went to transfer a file and the transfer speed is pegged at 13mbps. Usb 3.0 is set to usb 3.0 in the admin settings. I’m guessing this is just the limitation of the router

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!