What's new

XD6 - Access Point with Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mop

New Around Here
Hi,

I moved into an apartment and found that a single Wi-Fi does not cover the whole area very well. I have a Ubiquiti router & and switch so I bought a pair of ASUS XD6 units. My plan was to have both routers on the same 192.168.10.0/24 network as a mesh Wi-Fi. Not something I have done before, but I assumed it would work.

I configured one, I think it was as a router so that I could set an IP for my LAN (192.168.10.0/24), and got it on the wired network. Problem is that I am unable to set a default route through the UI. I can do it on the br (bridge?) interface via SSH, and I can ping out, but this does not allow me to get out using the Web UI.

Choosing other initial setup options such as AP do not get me on the network. I know I can switch to an AP configuration, but stepping back a little is this the way to go about it? I would be quite happy to put the time in to manage this completely from the command line, but I would be starting from scratch with BusyBox.

Any suggestions?

Hi,

I moved into an apartment and found that a single Wi-Fi does not cover the whole area very well. I have a Ubiquiti router & and switch so I bought a pair of ASUS XD6 units. My plan was to have both routers on the same 192.168.10.0/24 network as a mesh Wi-Fi. Not something I have done before, but I assumed it would work.

I configured one, I think it was as a router so that I could set an IP for my LAN (192.168.10.0/24), and got it on the wired network. Problem is that I am unable to set a default route through the UI. I can do it on the br (bridge?) interface via SSH, and I can ping out, but this does not allow me to get out using the Web UI.

Choosing other initial setup options such as AP do not get me on the network. I know I can switch to an AP configuration, but stepping back a little is this the way to go about it? I would be quite happy to put the time in to manage this completely from the command line, but I would be starting from scratch with BusyBox.

Any suggestions?

Given your existing non-AiMesh router, you can wire your XD6 AiMesh in AP Mode to your router, AP WAN to router LAN:

ISP <> existing router <wire> XD6 in AP Mode <wire or wireless> XD6 node

Let your existing router DHCP server assign IP addresses.

OE

Last edited:
What your suggesting is pretty much what I have been trying to do with the exception that all wires are going to the switch, and I was assuming in that case backhaul configuration wouldn't matter. It's just with that first unit not playing ball, in AP mode with a wire straight to my PC, it wasn't even handing out IPs.....

I tried the second router and that worked as expected in AP mode with DHCP. Not sure why the first one wouldn't show up (with either fixed IP or DHCP) so I reset it and it automatically joined for a mesh network, so all good. Now that it is set up, routers are updated, it seems like a very nice piece of kit.

I have a Ubiquiti router & and switch so I bought a pair of ASUS XD6 units

You had to buy 2x Ubiquiti U6 Lite APs instead. Asus XD6 doesn't support VLANs. This is limiting your configuration options. Strange decision.