What's new

can't access Windows shares via VPN - HALP!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

timmy2

Occasional Visitor
I've configured my RT-AC66U (fw: 3.0.0.4.376_1123) for VPN per the various published docs. (VPN Server on, PPTP, Samba on) One disparity in the docs is they refer to a setting “Enable VPN+DHCP Connection” in WAN | Advanced Settings that doesn't exist in my firmware. Another disparity is that the docs refer to selecting "Both" for "Broadcast Support" under VPN Server, whereas the closest sounding setting in my firmware is "Two-way" (which I selected). Regardless of those hiccups, I am able to connect to my network from a Windows 7 Pro PC at a distant site. Two indications tell me this: the W7P PC reports a successful VPN connection, and I am able to open local GUI's (e.g., a Vera Z-Wave controller on my LAN).

BUT... and here's the reason for my post, I cannot see any computers on my LAN from the remote W7 Pro PC. The network browser there shows only local PCs on its LAN. I cannot get any response regardless of whether I use the UNC path name (\\mycomputer) or the IP address of my computer (\\192.168blahblah). I know that file sharing is configured properly on my PC (the one I want to share) and I know it's configured properly on the remote Windows 7 Pro PC.

BTW, at the distant W7P PC, after connecting to the VPN the default Network Type was "Public", which I changed to "Work" because I figured that might be preventing file sharing. So if that PC were here, connected to my LAN, it would work.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!