What's new

Can't Add aiMesh Node to RT-AC68P running Merlin 386.7_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC68P router as my main router running Merlin 386.7_2. I have a second router (RT-AC66_B1) also running Merlin 386.7_2.

I am trying to add the RT-AC66 as an aiMesh node to the main router. I have configured this router as an aiMesh Node. When I try to add the node to the main router, it can't find the node.

I have tried everything. I tried a LAN connection from the node's WAN port to a LAN port on the main router. That doesn't work. I tried not having a LAN connection. That doesn't work either.

HELP

You don't have to do any configuration on your RT-AC66U B1 router. Reset to default and try to find in RT-AC68P GUI as AiMesh node. If it doesn't work wirelessly (broken in earlier Asuswrt-Merlin versions), use wired setup with fail back to wireless after. You also don't need Asuswrt-Merlin on the node, most folks around found Asuswrt works better. Multiple threads around as well discussing exactly the same issues with fix suggestions. Good luck.

I have an RT-AC68P router as my main router running Merlin 386.7_2. I have a second router (RT-AC66_B1) also running Merlin 386.7_2.

I am trying to add the RT-AC66 as an aiMesh node to the main router. I have configured this router as an aiMesh Node. When I try to add the node to the main router, it can't find the node.

I have tried everything. I tried a LAN connection from the node's WAN port to a LAN port on the main router. That doesn't work. I tried not having a LAN connection. That doesn't work either.

HELP

I recently paired 386.12 AC68U node to 386.12 AC86U router. Wireless did not work at all, so I wired node's WAN to router's LAN. Added the node via the router interface. I had connection to the node's interface using a computer via its LAN port, and also connection to the router using its main interface. You can actually tell the node to start looking for a mesh without resetting it - if you can access node's interface somehow.

I've recently tried to set up a new AC66U_B1 as an Aimesh node in my network (in fact, I tried two different ones).

Would not work no matter what I did:
- wired, wireless, Merlin firmware, old Merlin firmware, Official firmware, older Official firmware, on the Main router (AC86U) and the AC66U_B1 node. WebGUI and App.

- I tried WPS resetting, connecting and searching from the node (two different pathways in the GUI;
1. pressing "Aimesh-node" from the main page, then "Search" in the window that pops up on the right. and then​
2: Clicking "Aimesh" on the right menu and then "+ Add Aimesh") setting it up as an Aimesh router on the AC66U_B1 node​

Couldn't get it to work for the life of me!

It just spun around searching for the Aimesh node until timeout, again and again and ag... Enormously frustrating and a lot of time wasted. I remember searching the forum and finding others also reporting the same issues with AC66U_B1, but no solution.

The only thing I did not try because of limitations in my physical location, was to WPS reset the main AC86U router, because this would mean a LOT of hassle. So you might try this.

I had to resort to getting a hold of an AC68U instead, and it was successfully found & connected right away. So it's clearly an AC66U_B1 specific issue. This leads me to the conclusion that the Aimesh node setup is completely broken on the AC66U_B1.

The weird thing is that I do have an AC66U_B1 that I paired in the same network about a year ago, and it is still working today, which is part of why I don't want to WPS reset the AC86U main router as I cannot afford to loose the working AC66U_B1 node not getting to detect it again. I remember I had to retry a lot of times when I initially set it up tho, using wired connection). That's why I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wouldn't work even with older firmware. I do not know exactly which version I had, but probably the newest 1 year ago. I tried going farther back in the firmware versions than this, but to no avail.

I also tried setting the AC66U_B1 up on an AX88U main router on a different network - but it wouldn't pair there either!

I tried reporting it in the Official firmware Feedback page, but since nothing was detected, I guess there was nothing to report (no log entry).

The only suggestion I have is either
1. Try a very old firmware and see if it gets connected successfully. If it does, your can upgrade the firmware and the pairing settings will stick when you upgrade to the newest firmware.

2. Contact Asus customer service and work things out. Refer them to this post and other forum posts you find with the same problem.

Remember to give us feedback on how it goes!

Last edited:
I've recently tried to set up a new AC66U_B1 as an Aimesh node in my network (in fact, I tried two different ones).

Would not work no matter what I did:
- wired, wireless, Merlin firmware, old Merlin firmware, Official firmware, older Official firmware, on the Main router (AC86U) and the AC66U_B1 node. WebGUI and App.

- I tried WPS resetting, connecting and searching from the node (two different pathways in the GUI;
1. pressing "Aimesh-node" from the main page, then "Search" in the window that pops up on the right. and then​
2: Clicking "Aimesh" on the right menu and then "+ Add Aimesh") setting it up as an Aimesh router on the AC66U_B1 node​

Couldn't get it to work for the life of me!

It just spun around searching for the Aimesh node until timeout, again and again and ag... Enormously frustrating and a lot of time wasted. I remember searching the forum and finding others also reporting the same issues with AC66U_B1, but no solution.

The only thing I did not try because of limitations in my physical location, was to WPS reset the main AC86U router, because this would mean a LOT of hassle. So you might try this.

I had to resort to getting a hold of an AC68U instead, and it was successfully found & connected right away. So it's clearly an AC66U_B1 specific issue. This leads me to the conclusion that the Aimesh node setup is completely broken on the AC66U_B1.

The weird thing is that I do have an AC66U_B1 that I paired in the same network about a year ago, and it is still working today, which is part of why I don't want to WPS reset the AC86U main router as I cannot afford to loose the working AC66U_B1 node not getting to detect it again. I remember I had to retry a lot of times when I initially set it up tho, using wired connection). That's why I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wouldn't work even with older firmware. I do not know exactly which version I had, but probably the newest 1 year ago. I tried going farther back in the firmware versions than this, but to no avail.

I also tried setting the AC66U_B1 up on an AX88U main router on a different network - but it wouldn't pair there either!

I tried reporting it in the Official firmware Feedback page, but since nothing was detected, I guess there was nothing to report (no log entry).

The only suggestion I have is either
1. Try a very old firmware and see if it gets connected successfully. If it does, your can upgrade the firmware and the pairing settings will stick when you upgrade to the newest firmware.

2. Contact Asus customer service and work things out. Refer them to this post and other forum posts you find with the same problem.

Remember to give us feedback on how it goes!
Four times now on ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmwares to connect a AiMesh node (mine were AX6000 & AXE11000) that won't connect via Wireless or Wired backhaul methods to the AiMesh Router (mine were AXE11000 & AXE16000) via it's GUI prompts, I've have to reset the AiMesh node, then via ethernet cable connection to the node via my laptop, go thru the intial setup panels to reflect the node unit is to operate as a Aimesh "node". Then on the AiMesh Router GUI panels search for AiMesh units, then all works to completion and successful AiMesh connection. After that setup, the AiMesh always solid thru power up/downs, firmware updates to nodes and router.

Four times now on ASUSWRT-MERLIN firmwares to connect a AiMesh node (mine were AX6000 & AXE11000) that won't connect via Wireless or Wired backhaul methods to the AiMesh Router (mine were AXE11000 & AXE16000) via it's GUI prompts, I've have to reset the AiMesh node, then via ethernet cable connection to the node via my laptop, go thru the intial setup panels to reflect the node unit is to operate as a Aimesh "node". Then on the AiMesh Router GUI panels search for AiMesh units, then all works to completion and successful AiMesh connection. After that setup, the AiMesh always solid thru power up/downs, firmware updates to nodes and router.
I don't think a reset of the node is unusual - I do it by default when setting up Aimesh nodes.

I did reset the Aimesh node (AC66U_B1), but not the main router (AC86U) because it would mean a total hell with gathering and setting up other Aimesh routers that are installed in other apartments. Went through the exact steps you did by setting up the node in the GUI before I connected it to the main router via ethernet. Still was not able to find it after extensive attempts as described in my post above.

In this case, it's clear to me that this is an AC66U_B1 specific issue, because as I mentioned, I did not have any problem with AC68U (which is pretty similar in terms of hardware - heck, they even use the same merlin .trx file).

I don't think a reset of the node is unusual - I do it by default when setting up Aimesh nodes.

I did reset the Aimesh node (AC66U_B1), but not the main router (AC86U) because it would mean a total hell with gathering and setting up other Aimesh routers that are installed in other apartments. Went through the exact steps you did by setting up the node in the GUI before I connected it to the main router via ethernet. Still was not able to find it after extensive attempts as described in my post above.

In this case, it's clear to me that this is an AC66U_B1 specific issue, because as I mentioned, I did not have any problem with AC68U (which is pretty similar in terms of hardware - heck, they even use the same merlin .trx file).
Reset of Nodes normal, before AiMesh connection. What I felt was unique, had to force the node via the nodes GUI panel to operate as a AiMesh node, before the AiMesh connection would be successful to AiMesh Router.

Reset of Nodes normal, before AiMesh connection. What I felt was unique, had to force the node via the nodes GUI panel to operate as a AiMesh node, before the AiMesh connection would be successful to AiMesh Router.
I actually did the same - telling the node to go find an AiMesh router. So it's push-pull process from both sides. Could work if there are problems ...

I did a little more experimenting today. I loaded the latest stock Asus firmware into the RT-AC66U_B1 router and configured it as an aiMesh node. Connected the WAN port to a LAN port on the RT-AC68P main router running Merlin 386.7_2 and then searched for a new aiMesh node from the main router's GUI. It immediately found the aiMesh node and configured it properly.

It's pretty clear that the problem is that Merlin 386.7_2 does not work properly on an RT-AC66_B1 router configured as an aiMesh node. This Merlin release may work on other router models. I also suspect that previous Merlin releases may work on the RT-AC66_B1 router. I didn't have time to test all the other permutations.

Bottom line, the simple solution is to use Stock Asus firmware on this particular router model if you are planning to use it as an aiMesh node.

Bottom line, the simple solution is to use Stock Asus firmware on this particular router model if you are planning to use it as an aiMesh node.

Actually the simple solution is always use stock firmware on nodes. Merlin is providing no benefit there and some aspects seem to interfere with certain models.

Hi,
It seems I have the same problem as you. I have 2 ZenWifi XT8/RT-AX95Q, one connected to my Internet Box with Ethernet in AP mode.
I try since yesterday to add my second ZenWifi XT8 as an AiMesh node with no success.

@drinkingbird you mean to mix Merlin and stock firmware ? I will try this. Tank you.

Stephane

Hi,
It seems I have the same problem as you. I have 2 ZenWifi XT8/RT-AX95Q, one connected to my Internet Box with Ethernet in AP mode.
I try since yesterday to add my second ZenWifi XT8 as an AiMesh node with no success.

@drinkingbird you mean to mix Merlin and stock firmware ? I will try this. Tank you.

Stephane

Generally the recommendation is run merlin on the main router (if you need those features) and stock on the rest.