What's new

Can't Forward Port 80

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Capt.Dreamer

New Around Here
Hi there!

I have an Asus rt-ac68p running the latest Merlin Firmware. I have the interface set to HTTPS only and not accessible from WAN. I am forwarding port 80 to port 80 on an internal web server. However, it simply will not connect. If I use port 81 everything works but I would really not prefer to do this.

What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there!

I have an Asus rt-ac68p running the latest Merlin Firmware. I have the interface set to HTTPS only and not accessible from WAN. I am forwarding port 80 to port 80 on an internal web server. However, it simply will not connect. If I use port 81 everything works but I would really not prefer to do this.

What am I doing wrong?

Is your ISP blocking the port?

How would i check that?

You could use an online nmap scanner, or maybe a port-forwarding confirmation service like Transmission includes.

If you have both port 80 & 81 open, yet these online services say 80 is closed, your ISP is most likely blocking access.

Just a guess... but if you want to confirm, you would probably need to get a friend to run a packet sniffer while attempting to connect to port 80, because I think that the ICMP(?) "port closed" response would originate from a host/IP that is not your own.

I have the interface set to HTTPS only and not accessible from WAN. I am forwarding port 80 to port 80 on an internal web server. However, it simply will not connect. If I use port 81 everything works but I would really not prefer to do this.

HTTPS is not port 80 from a browser perspective... try port 443

Sorry for the confusion sfx2000, I meant the routers web interface. It's set to https so tha it doesn't interfere with port 80.

Sorry for the confusion sfx2000, I meant the routers web interface. It's set to https so tha it doesn't interfere with port 80.

Hey, if you message me your IP I will do the packet sniffer thing I mentioned.

Well I connected the modem directly to a computer, turned the firewall in Windows off and checked if port 80 with canyouseeme.com. Seems that my ISP might be blocking that port. Ok, follow up question: I need to have my domain, example.org access my web server on a different port.

Well I connected the modem directly to a computer, turned the firewall in Windows off and checked if port 80 with canyouseeme.com.
That would only yield a positive result if your PC were running a web server on port 80. Is that the same computer that is running the web server?

P.S. It might be worth moving this thread into the ASUS/Merlin forum rather than the generic "Router" one as your question might be specific to ASUS products.

Last edited:
True I hadn't thought of that but ended up calling my ISP and they confirmed that port being blocked. Anyone have a good guide on setting up URL forwarding?