Can't Login to GUI

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
This unfortunately seems to be happening to me as well on the AC3100... after a few days, the GUI becomes unresponsive. The first time in, it does ask for a username/password, but then after it times out, and after many retries, it's just a spinning browser. All other functions seem to be working OK, however I do have to agree that it does not seem to reboot automatically on its schedule at times. Good ol' manual reboot fixes it for a short while. This problem was getting so bad, that I just decided to set it to reboot every other day at 3am... sometimes it does, other times it doesn't... and usually when it doesn't, I can't get back into the GUI either. :( I'm going to give that ssh command a try, and see if that works for me (service restart_httpd).

Mike S

Regular Contributor
This unfortunately seems to be happening to me as well on the AC3100... after a few days, the GUI becomes unresponsive. The first time in, it does ask for a username/password, but then after it times out, and after many retries, it's just a spinning browser. All other functions seem to be working OK, however I do have to agree that it does not seem to reboot automatically on its schedule at times. Good ol' manual reboot fixes it for a short while. This problem was getting so bad, that I just decided to set it to reboot every other day at 3am... sometimes it does, other times it doesn't... and usually when it doesn't, I can't get back into the GUI either. :( I'm going to give that ssh command a try, and see if that works for me (service restart_httpd).
My experience is when the router locks up SSH doesn’t work either. The only solution is to power cycle the router, which is hard to do when you are not on site.

Mike S

Regular Contributor
Hello. I keep thinking that these problems are related to hardware. I have an RT-AC66U B1. I've never had a problem with a fading GUI. I have been using it with Merlin for about 2 years now. Through 2 firmware I do a nuclear reset and setup from scratch manually
I use AiProtection,VPN server,
Diversion+Entware+Skynet+ scribe +uiScribe
Now i use Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18. Very stable firmware for me.
It would be nice if there was a hardware diagnostic available for Asus routers.

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
My experience is when the router locks up SSH doesn’t work either. The only solution is to power cycle the router, which is hard to do when you are not on site.
My GUI stopped working today, so I logged into SSH -- which did seem to be working just fine -- but, after executing "service restart_httpd", I have not been able to get the GUI to reload. :( After running the command, it did say "done", and it restarted... but nothing is loading at all now. :(

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
So this is kind of interesting... or it could be a fluke? I just rebooted my router manually... things came back up normally, and CPU starting to calm down. I went under Firewall -> Skynet tab... the page was blank, and wouldn't load. After hitting back, and not getting anything, I tried to reload the main GUI. Getting the same results. It's completely non-responsive again. Could it have something to do with 3rd party pages that are integrating into the main GUI? I am also using ConnMon, which is used on occasion.

Mike S

Regular Contributor
My GUI stopped working today, so I logged into SSH -- which did seem to be working just fine -- but, after executing "service restart_httpd", I have not been able to get the GUI to reload. :( After running the command, it did say "done", and it restarted... but nothing is loading at all now. :(
This is similar to what I have observed. If I am lucky enough to be able to login to SSH, and issue a REBOOT command, at least half the time the router does not reboot successfully, and I have to do a power cycle to get it back up.

John Wentworth

Occasional Visitor
I've had to leave this firmware due to this bug which I've experienced for more than 6 months on various builds. I flashed back to stock, moved the routing functions to an OPNsense box and I'm using the router as a Wireless AP only. It's a shame, I've enjoyed using this firmware for many years.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Ok, last weekend I installed two new security cameras in the attic.

they are connected via Ethernet cable to a bridge, 192.168.1.15.

the bridge is connected wirelessly to an access point 192.168.1.11

everthing works well, just can get into the GUI of 192.168.1.15

I have an extra RT-AC86U so I might swap it out, and see what happens.

192.168.1.16, is another access point teathered to the bridge. I can pull the gui

So recap...

192.168.1.10 router gateway
192.168.1.11 access point
192.168.1.12 access point
192.168.1.13 access point
192.168.1.14 access point
192.168.1.15 is bridge to 192.168.1.11
192.168.1.16 access point teathered to 192.168.1.15

Attachments

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
Not sure if this is a fluke (yet), but I've been running almost an entire week without the GUI becoming non-functional. Here's what I did: (1) Disabled the scheduled reboot (2) Disabled all the TrendMicro AI Protection components. I wasn't able to find where you can say no to the EULA, and disables everything out of the box, but I'm assuming you would see that after doing a reset? So far, these 2 changes have brought much better stability on this front.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Continuing with my network issues. I'm connected behind a bridge and I cannot reach google.

picture004.jpg

But when I use the GIU of the bridge an ping google, all is well.

picture003.jpg

Anyone have any suggestion as to where the connectivity issue might be?

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
Continuing with my network issues. I'm connected behind a bridge and I cannot reach google.
Anyone have any suggestion as to where the connectivity issue might be?
Not sure if this has anything to do with this thread? This thread is strictly about the GUI becoming non-functional and unable to be logged into... ie. not being able to reach a site? Would suggest posting this in a different thread, or starting a new one?

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
Not sure if this has anything to do with this thread? This thread is strictly about the GUI becoming non-functional and unable to be logged into... ie. not being able to reach a site? Would suggest posting this in a different thread, or starting a new one?
Oh, sport about that. I thought I had my previous threes on the bridge.

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
Not sure if this is a fluke (yet), but I've been running almost an entire week without the GUI becoming non-functional. Here's what I did: (1) Disabled the scheduled reboot (2) Disabled all the TrendMicro AI Protection components. I wasn't able to find where you can say no to the EULA, and disables everything out of the box, but I'm assuming you would see that after doing a reset? So far, these 2 changes have brought much better stability on this front.
Well I spoke too soon... again back to the dreaded unable-to-pull-up-the-GUI-page after a good 1.5 weeks. ;( I'm going to have to let the true bug hunters go after this one...

Mike S

Regular Contributor
Had another instance of one of my routers (ver 384.18) have the GUI disappear today (10/22/20). Same symptoms as before. Router seemed to be working, except for the inability to access the GUI or SSH. Had to power cycle router to get access to the GUI. Last syslog entry was on 10/14/22). This really needs to get fixed.

redpants

Regular Contributor
I have had the same problem for 10 months. Running RT-AC86U_384.14_0 for 10 months. Wonder if updating to the latest firmware solves the problem?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Updating from that firmware and doing a full reset (required, including formatting the JFFS partition on the next reboot) would solve many problems. Known and unknown. :)

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I have had the same problem for 10 months. Running RT-AC86U_384.14_0 for 10 months. Wonder if updating to the latest firmware solves the problem?
A better question would be whether going back to an older software release would solve the problem.

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
A better question would be whether going back to an older software release would solve the problem.
I have seen this unresponsive GUI issue also on older firmware versions on the RT-AC68U. I have not seen it (yet) on the RT-AX88U. This might be router-specific.

tejesh83

Occasional Visitor
TLDR: Still chasing the root cause and fix, but for my router it appears to be a memory leak causing the GUI and SSH to fail.

Gory details:

This started on only one of my ac86u routers recently about a month ago, but unfortunately, I made quite a few changes to the router and network setup at that time, so I'm not yet sure what specific change(s) are causing it. The good news, I have a near identical ac86u setup without the issue, so it should help troubleshoot. Also, prior to this, the router was rock solid with months and months of uptime, so it's very likely a firmware or config update I made at the time that's causing this.

A suggestion, in case you haven't already, turn up what's getting logged in syslog for clues:
Advanced Settings > System Log > Log only messages more urgent than > debug or all
I had mine set to debug.

In my case, the troublesome router seems to last about a week or 2 before starting to glitch. Yesterday for example, the GUI was unreachable, and I was able to initiate an ssh connection, but the shell prompt wouldn't load. Devices behind the router however were still able to connect to the internet, however though those forced behind the router's client vpn connection did have some intermittent connectivity issues. It's a remote device, so I had someone physically power toggle the device, and the GUI and SSH came back up. The good news, this time I was able to recover enough logs to confirm my suspicion, that at least for my device, it seems to be caused by a memory leak. I had numerous kernel panics in the logs and a few specific out of memory errors being reported. Note, I had seen intermittment kernel panics in the log before, but this was the first time the logs captured the specific out of memory errors, so it does seem when this issue happens it doesn't always get logged. e.g. OOM error:

Code:
kernel: pidof triggered out of memory codition (oom killer not called): gfp_mask=0x201da, order=0, oom_score_adj=0
Leading up to this, I had noticed that the router was consuming more memory since I made changes a month ago. Everytime I logged into the router, I also saw the memory usage climbing and getting close to 100%. As a precaution, I turned on swap on my usb stick. But after a week, same issue, the router crashed, and this time it took my usb drive with it (or at least I thought). With the drive no longer being detected by the router, I figured it was a good test to see if the custom scripts I had running were causing the issue. But, sure enough a week later the router crashed again. The good news, when power cycling the router this time, the usb stick came magically back to life.

So here's what I'm trying now:
  1. Turned off the VPN server feature.
  2. Turned off the Traffic Analyzer statistics feature.
  3. Under Administration/Privacy, I withdrew consent. This turned off DDNS and QOS, and possibly other features I may have accidentally turned on.
  4. I then turned only QOS back on.
  5. I formatted the JFFS partition and copied back only my vpn settings that got lost in the wipe.
  6. I formatted the USB Drive (using amtm)
  7. I then reinstalled x3mrouting and flexqos scripts since I ruled them out as the culprit.
A lot of changes, but its probably my last resort before driving to the remote location (2 hours) and doing a full factory reset and nvram wipe on the router. At this point, the router with the issue and without are configured with the same features enabled, so fingers crossed it does the trick.

I did log into the router to check mem usage this morning, and unfortunately it has already climbed a couple points, but hopefully it stabalizes. Also since I've turned off a few features, there's a bit more memory headroom, so I suspect if there still is a memory leak, it will take a bit longer than the week or 2 it was taking prior to crash this time around.

I'll keep you guys posted, but it may be a few weeks before I have any news to report. Happy chasing!