Can't Login to GUI

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
I am also having this issue of logging into the GUI with 384.17 on a RT86U

happens every day or so, and never had it on previous firmwares.

Reboot ( Power off and on ) brings it back but is a bit of a PITA !

Anyone any clues as to why or how to resolve ?
I have not heard anything yet. Today I have some extra time, I’m going to reflash the firmware. Funny how it occurs on one access point for me, but the other four access points are fine.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
I have not heard anything yet. Today I have some extra time, I’m going to reflash the firmware. Funny how it occurs on one access point for me, but the other four access points are fine.
If flashing the firmware doesn’t correct my problem, I am going to physically switch around the access points, that would tell me it has something to do with something else

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
Count me in having the same problem with 384.16 on RT-AC68U. Either no login screen at all or stuck on a blank screen after login.
Restarting the httpd service does not fix it. Only a power cycle does.

I have seen this problem before on 384.15. It usually occurs after several weeks. This time it happened after 60 days of uptime.

I noticed the load average of 4.05 is pretty high.

Last edited:

Yo_2T

Occasional Visitor
So this happened to mine when I first installed 384.17. I turned off Statistics under Traffic Analyzer and it's been over a month with no GUI crashes. I think that feature is the culprit, for whatever reason.

Kanji-San

Regular Contributor
So this happened to mine when I first installed 384.17. I turned off Statistics under Traffic Analyzer and it's been over a month with no GUI crashes. I think that feature is the culprit, for whatever reason.
Please come back after two months and let us know if it still worked. I have seen GUI crashes after several days but it could also last as long as 60 days.

pusb87

Regular Contributor
Well as I dont have statistics turned on that wont fix it for me !!:)

jata

Regular Contributor
Hi all - I don't know the cause of the problem but I have found that re-flashing the firmware seems to have resolved this issue for me

pusb87

Regular Contributor
Hi all - I don't know the cause of the problem but I have found that re-flashing the firmware seems to have resolved this issue for me
yes , i have reflashed and so far so good ( 2 days), fingers crossed :)

jata

Regular Contributor
GUI crashed again yesterday so looks like re-flashing did not resolve the issue for me this time. Will see if it is corrected in the next beta.

I think I will do a full/nuclear reset when the 384.18 final is released...

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
GUI crashed again yesterday so looks like re-flashing did not resolve the issue for me this time. Will see if it is corrected in the next beta.

I think I will do a full/nuclear reset when the 384.18 final is released...
Just out of curiosity, what mode is your router in, and is it behind a bridge?

jata

Regular Contributor
Just out of curiosity, what mode is your router in, and is it behind a bridge?
normal wireless router mode.

http service stopped working again today so it seems to be quite frequent on beta 1 - however I am not sure if it is an issue specific to the beta.

It's tricky to work out what is happening as there is nothing in the log to indicate that the http service is crashed. If it happens again, I will run 'top' from the terminal to see if the httpd process is running...

Mike S

Regular Contributor
Any more updates on this? Just happened to me again my RT-AC88U running 384.17. This really needs to get fixed.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
@Mike S, have you tried the latest RMerlin firmware for your router? Many fixes since that old one you're running.

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I did a little more testing. After entering my username and password on the RT-AC88U login screen, I ended up with a blank screen. The dashboard never downloaded.

While the screen was blank, I logged into the router via SSH and entered "service restart_httpd". As soon as I did this, my web browser once again showed the router login screen. I logged in again, and got another blank screen. I could do this repeatedly.

I'm not a guru on this stuff, so I don't know what this means. Maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable can give us a hint on how to further troubleshoot this.

john9527

Part of the Furniture
Maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable can give us a hint on how to further troubleshoot this.
Since it's recreateable, when you get the login screen turn on the browser console with F12....then enter your credentials and see if the console posts any error.

Mike S

Regular Contributor
Since it's recreateable, when you get the login screen turn on the browser console with F12....then enter your credentials and see if the console posts any error.
After I click on the Logon button, the screen goes blank. The browser shows "Waiting for .......". The browser console is empty. Nothing seems to be getting received from the router.

Wycleff

Occasional Visitor
I had this strange behavior with Wifi-Devices and the Protected Management Frames Setting. Had to disable it on an older Asus-Device.

With the AX-58U im currently experimenting with "Capable".

Mike S

Regular Contributor
Here's some more interesting info: The last syslog entry for my RT-AC88U was on the evening of July 6. The router was configured to automatically reboot each evening at 3AM. There were no syslog entries that this occurred on the morning of July 7.

This afternoon (July 8) the router was still functioning properly, except that I couldn't successfully login to the GUI. I did manage to successfully connect and disconnect OpenVPN connections to the OpenVPN server on this router from another Asus Merlin router, and was able to send traffic over the OpenVPN connection. Again, there was no record of these OpenVPN connections in the syslog of the router.

Finally, this evening, I logged onto the router using SSH and issued a REBOOT command. At that point the router hung for hours, until I finally power cycled the router, at which point it successfully rebooted. I subsequently upgraded the firmware to 384.18. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will help, but I am not particularly optimistic.

If anyone is interested in looking at my syslog file, I have saved a copy. Most of this is greek to me.

This problem really needs to get escalated and fixed. I am using these routers to connect multiple remote offices and I can't handle these types of reliability issues. What is really strange is that some of the routers in my network are having this sporadic issue, while others are solid as a rock.

snakebite3

I had this problem too. FW 384.17 and 384.18 on 68u.
The router time outs with Webui, SSH and asus router app.
I just factory reset it. I doubt it will fix the problem.