Can't Login to GUI

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
I'll keep you guys posted, but it may be a few weeks before I have any news to report. Happy chasing!
I can't speak for those not running a VPN Client, but I really think OpenVPN has something to do with it. After a reboot, the VPN traffic is speedy and getting good rates... after a week or so, it drastically slows down and am only pulling about 5Mbps up and down... the CPU seems to be pegged at almost 100% trying to sustain this traffic. At this point, the GUI is extremely sluggish to the point where it's timing out in the browser. This, I believe, leads to the GUI just becoming completely non-responsive, and am just catching a glimpse as to what happens prior. Took some screenshots of my router running 6 days and 12hrs. Very light traffic... CPU is pegged. I'm not familiar with ways to troubleshoot this, but running the TOP command shows the VPN client hogging the most for the very little traffic it is handling.

1603809141102.png


1603808984244.png
 

tejesh83

Occasional Visitor
I can't speak for those not running a VPN Client, but I really think OpenVPN has something to do with it. After a reboot, the VPN traffic is speedy and getting good rates... after a week or so, it drastically slows down and am only pulling about 5Mbps up and down... the CPU seems to be pegged at almost 100% trying to sustain this traffic. At this point, the GUI is extremely sluggish to the point where it's timing out in the browser. This, I believe, leads to the GUI just becoming completely non-responsive, and am just catching a glimpse as to what happens prior. Took some screenshots of my router running 6 days and 12hrs. Very light traffic... CPU is pegged. I'm not familiar with ways to troubleshoot this, but running the TOP command shows the VPN client hogging the most for the very little traffic it is handling.

View attachment 27199

View attachment 27198
Have you tried turning up the verbosity under vpn settings and seeing what pops up in syslog for clues?

I've run a vpn client 24/7 and have never pegged the cpu with my setup even at full bandwidth upto 200Mbps. I've even run that setup for months on end without reboot and no issues in the past.

Update on my scenario, the memory usage continued to climb everyday, hitting 81% this morning (up 11% over the last few days), but cache/buffer usage was flat. If I let the trend continue, I'll prob be out of memory in 5 days. Comparing processes running and used memory over time, nothing has climmbed, so it seems the leak is occurring in the kernel? In my syslog, I did see the kernel report a few more dcd crashes. So I suspect this has something to do with it, and per other forum post those seem to be tied to trend micro and qos with no solution :(.

I've tweaked my qos settings, hoping it might resolve the crashes. I was using adaptive with fq_codel, so will try sfq since I believe that's what the stock firmware uses instead to see if it helps. My mem usage is hovering around 70% after making the change and rebooting, so let's see what happens in a few days.
 

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
Have you tried turning up the verbosity under vpn settings and seeing what pops up in syslog for clues?
That's a great idea... I've moved it up from 3 to 5... 6 was just too much unnecessary chatter... but nothing to report as of yet. I have also disabled regular cache flushes based on some other threads that were saying that perhaps the httpd service is unable to read or losing cached settings when things get flushed (under tools->other settings)
 

Viktor Jaep

Regular Contributor
So here's a quick update... I just recently acquired a brand new RT-AC86U, and loaded Merlin 384.19 on it from scratch, reconfigured everything from scratch, and only have absolute minimal functionality running. I can't get past about 4-5 days before I'm greeted with the blank GUI. For the first time, this command worked, and let me gain access of the UI:

Code:
service restart_httpd
 

tejesh83

Occasional Visitor
I had no luck here either with different qos settings. Using sfq bought a few more days, but eventually it too succumbed to the mem leak plauging my router. The syslog continued to be littered with dcd crashes that have been reported by many ac86u users, as well as some random qos errors, so the trend micro services seem the likely culprit. It seems plausible since prior to turning on qos (the only trend micro feature I have enabled), I've gone months without issues or rebooting the device.

I gave up chasing a fix. Because the ac86u reboot scheduler is a bit finicky on my router and randomly hangs off instead of turning back on, I picked up an ip power switch (ezoutlet3) to power cycle the plug/router if the internet connection goes down and set the router to reboot a couple times a week as a workaround. Been a couple weeks and all seems stable so far.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top