Can't Login to GUI

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

pusb87

Regular Contributor
Here's some more interesting info: The last syslog entry for my RT-AC88U was on the evening of July 6. The router was configured to automatically reboot each evening at 3AM. There were no syslog entries that this occurred on the morning of July 7.

This afternoon (July 8) the router was still functioning properly, except that I couldn't successfully login to the GUI. I did manage to successfully connect and disconnect OpenVPN connections to the OpenVPN server on this router from another Asus Merlin router, and was able to send traffic over the OpenVPN connection. Again, there was no record of these OpenVPN connections in the syslog of the router.

Finally, this evening, I logged onto the router using SSH and issued a REBOOT command. At that point the router hung for hours, until I finally power cycled the router, at which point it successfully rebooted. I subsequently upgraded the firmware to 384.18. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will help, but I am not particularly optimistic.

If anyone is interested in looking at my syslog file, I have saved a copy. Most of this is greek to me.

This problem really needs to get escalated and fixed. I am using these routers to connect multiple remote offices and I can't handle these types of reliability issues. What is really strange is that some of the routers in my network are having this sporadic issue, while others are solid as a rock.
try reflashing, that appears to have fixed it for me now

John Wentworth

Occasional Visitor
I too am experiencing this issue for months over multiple Merlin builds on my 68u. Mine adds in the nice variable of the entire router crashing serveral hours after the webui crashes. Once the webui crashes, I also have no more syslogs written. I think that this shows that it's more than just the httpd service that's crashing. I recently even factory reset my router, upgraded to 384.18 and then factory reset again. I didn't use a backup config, but configured the router by hand. And after a little over a week the webui crashes again, though the router itself kept working for over a day without the router itself stopping. I eventually did a power cycle and enabled ssh, hoping I could diagnose the problem with ssh.

I do not have a complex setup. Wireless router mode, aiprotect on, samba server, guest network, adaptive QOS,a few port forwards, traffic monitoring to USB thumb drive, ddns.
For awhile I was use a VPN client but I have since stopped using it. And I recently added a openvpn server which continues to work after the webui crashes.

Last edited:

jdmc

New Around Here
OH MY GOD I can't believe I just found this thread. This EXACT problem has happened to me TWICE over the past two weeks, running plain-vanilla Merlin 384.18 on my RT-AC68P. I literally wasted two full days of my life dealing with this BS. I run no scripts, I do nothing fancy, I never SSH in or anything, no VPN, etc. Just run the router as a router and AP. As far as I can recall, this NEVER happened to me before I installed 384.18 about three weeks ago. What a freaking nightmare.

After the first UI crash, I installed FreshTomato for the first time and tried that for a few days. It worked OK, but the interface didn't thrill me, so I did a factory reset and went back to Merlin 384.18. Welp, sure enough, within a few days it happened all over again. This time I broke down and installed the latest stock ASUS firmware. It's OK, but having used Merlin for years, I really miss what's not there.

I am not willing to waste whole days putzing around in wracked frustration with this nonsense again. This itsh needs to get FIXED.

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I had the same problem again today on my RT-AC88U running 384.18. The router still seemed to run fine, but the GUI was non-functional. I logged in with SSH and tried to reboot the router with a REBOOT command, but the router hung and never successfully rebooted. After power cycling the router, everything started working again. This is happening every two weeks or so. I'm getting ready to ditch the Merlin software.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture

FBI Surveillance Van #2

Occasional Visitor
I think I figured it out.

I'm in Windows 10 Pro version 2004.

I went to "Settings" then "Network & Internet" then at the bottom of the "Status" page I clicked "Network Reset." Then when the "Network Reset" page open, I clicked "Reset Now." In the notes above the "Reset Now" button it says that your PC will be restarted, but mine did not automatically do that, so I restarted it manually. I then waited while my PC reconnected to my WiFi network (I did nothing with the PC during this time), and then once it was reconnected, I opened my browser and typed "router.asus.com" and the router's GUI appeared.

I use a VPN, so I always have to disable it in order to connect to the router's GUI.

Before I did that "Network Reset" thing, I tried releasing and renewing the ip address, but that did not work reliably.

The next thing I'm going to do is log back into my VPN, and then disconnect from it. Then I'll be able to see if that changes my ip address back to the one that won't let me connect to the router GUI. If so, then I guess I'll need to perform the "Network Reset" whenever I want to access the router GUI.

I just connected to my VPN and then disconnected from it, and then I was still able to access the router's GUI.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

FBI Surveillance Van #2

Occasional Visitor
What about excluding your router IP's from that VPN?
I didn't think of that. Great idea! Thanks!

I have NordVPN, and I'm not sure how to exclude my router IP's from it...

Research time!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I think I figured it out.

I'm in Windows 10 Pro version 2004.

I went to "Settings" then "Network & Internet" then at the bottom of the "Status" page I clicked "Network Reset." Then when the "Network Reset" page open, I clicked "Reset Now." In the notes above the "Reset Now" button it says that your PC will be restarted, but mine did not automatically do that, so I restarted it manually. I then waited while my PC reconnected to my WiFi network (I did nothing with the PC during this time), and then once it was reconnected, I opened my browser and typed "router.asus.com" and the router's GUI appeared.

I use a VPN, so I always have to disable it in order to connect to the router's GUI.

Before I did that "Network Reset" thing, I tried releasing and renewing the ip address, but that did not work reliably.

The next thing I'm going to do is log back into my VPN, and then disconnect from it. Then I'll be able to see if that changes my ip address back to the one that won't let me connect to the router GUI. If so, then I guess I'll need to perform the "Network Reset" whenever I want to access the router GUI.

I just connected to my VPN and then disconnected from it, and then I was still able to access the router's GUI.

Hope this helps!
You may be having a different problem than the rest of us. When the GUI disappears on my routers, a lot of other stuff seems to also quit working behind the scenes. While the routers typically still seem to operate, the syslog no longer updates. Who knows what else is also screwed up.

EventPhotoMan

Very Senior Member
After you reboot it it should be back.

I turned on remote access, and the last time I could not get in via 192.168.1.x I just used my ASUS Url.
It works.

Mike S

Regular Contributor
After you reboot it it should be back.

I turned on remote access, and the last time I could not get in via 192.168.1.x I just used my ASUS Url.
It works.
There are also other problems that seem to be related to the GUI going away. I have configured my routers to automatically reboot at 3AM every morning. More than once the automatic reboot has failed and I have to manually power cycle the router to get it back up and running. Each time this happens, when I look at the syslog file, the log quit updating during the day before the nightly reboot. This is the same thing that happens when the GUI becomes inaccessible. This needs to get fixed!!!!

barutchiev

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I keep thinking that these problems are related to hardware. I have an RT-AC66U B1. I've never had a problem with a fading GUI. I have been using it with Merlin for about 2 years now. Through 2 firmware I do a nuclear reset and setup from scratch manually
I use AiProtection,VPN server,
Diversion+Entware+Skynet+ scribe +uiScribe
Now i use Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18. Very stable firmware for me.