What's new

Can't Login to GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike S

Regular Contributor
I have been running into an intermittent problem on multiple Asus Routers, all running Asus Merlin Ver 384.17. About once every couple of weeks, the router gets into a state where I can no longer log in the the GUI interface. When I try to login, I get the username / password window, but then just a blank screen that eventually times out. Once this happens, I can't even get the logon screen.

While the router is in this state, it seems to still be fully functional. Data is still routed correctly. In addition, I can connect OpenVPN clients to the router's VPN Server. However, I have no way to control the router, unless I have someone at the physical location reboot the router by powering it down.

HELP!!!

I have been running into an intermittent problem on multiple Asus Routers, all running Asus Merlin Ver 384.17. About once every couple of weeks, the router gets into a state where I can no longer log in the the GUI interface. When I try to login, I get the username / password window, but then just a blank screen that eventually times out. Once this happens, I can't even get the logon screen.

While the router is in this state, it seems to still be fully functional. Data is still routed correctly. In addition, I can connect OpenVPN clients to the router's VPN Server. However, I have no way to control the router, unless I have someone at the physical location reboot the router by powering it down.

HELP!!!

If you can SSH through to the Router when this happens ... issue the following command ...
Code:
service restart_httpd

I'm not familiar with SSH. How do I do that?

Go to the Administration Tab under the webui and select the "System" tab from the top selections - scroll down and enable SSH from the LAN only.
Then use Putty to connect to the router using the SSH protocol on port 22.

If you have to do this from a remote location - then I would recommend that you setup the OpenVPN server on each site and VPN through to the Router network to carry out SSH sessions. Do NOT ever open webui or SSH to the internet.

What routers is this happening with?

HELP!!!
I’ve also noticed with 384.17 the WAN configuration page (but no others) doesn’t always load properly (using MS Edge Chromium browser). One or more page refreshes or browser back and then forward fixes it. I’ve not seen an issue with the login page. Maybe be related, however.

I have similar issue. Using AX88U since six months ago always with latest stable Merlin's FW, currently 384.17. It started about few weeks ago. The configuration is as following:

1. AiProtection is OFF
2. AiCloud is OFF
3. Two OpenVPN servers (one TCP and one UDP) with TAP interface running
4. No AiMesh
5. Alexa & IFTTT OFF
6. Media servers OFF
7. Samba ON, FTP & NFS OFF
8. IPv6 OFF
9. Scripts: amtm, unbound Manager, nsrum, ntpMerlin, scMerlin, spdMerlin.

Network: 2 wired PCs (one Windows 10 and one Linux Mint); 3 wired/wireless laptops (Windows 10); 2 Android smartphones; one wired NAS (XigmaNAS OS, based on FreeBSD 12.1); one Ubuntu Server 18.04.4 LTS VM running OpenVPN server and CUPS Print Server as a guest under XigmaNAS (VirtualBox).

The XigmaNAS box is running also Transmission daemon normally managed through Transmission RemoteGUI from one of the Windows 10 laptops.

About two weeks ago I started to have problems with reaching router's WebGUI, transmission control via Transmission RemoteGUI, access to XigmaNAS WebGUI, general problems with Internet access. Restarting the router's http daemon via SSH didn't help. Rebooting the router fixed the problem. Two days ago it happened again and rebooting the router fixed the problem.

I am suspicious that the reason is exhausting the connections managed by the router, but cannot be sure. The Transmission daemon running on XigmaNAS box is using DHT, which results in many unreplied UDP connections and may lead to exhausting the connections, but no prove for that. No any indications in the router's syslog so far.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with SSH. How do I do that?
My router's GUI is not accessible again. I logged into SSH with PUTTY. I successfully entered the username and password. I then got "
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC88U 384.17_0 Sun Apr 26 02:26:32 UTC 2020", but I never got a prompt to enter a command.

Last edited:

HELP!!!

I'm having a similar problem with my AX88U running Merlin 384.17. I can access the GUI interface using my iPhone SE-2020, but I cannot with my PC, which is on Windows 10 2004.

Any ideas?

Additional Note: I can access the GUI using my wife's PC, which has the same version of Windows, too.

Last edited:
I have just started seeing this issue on the latest 384.18 alpha but I have never seen this issue before with 384.17 or earlier and also not seen this with the earlier 384.18 alpha builds.

So I am hoping that re-flashing the latest firmware will fix it (using the dirty upgrade process).

I am also having this issue of logging into the GUI with 384.17 on a RT86U

happens every day or so, and never had it on previous firmwares.

Reboot ( Power off and on ) brings it back but is a bit of a PITA !

Anyone any clues as to why or how to resolve ?

Count me in having the same problem with 384.16 on RT-AC68U. Either no login screen at all or stuck on a blank screen after login.
Restarting the httpd service does not fix it. Only a power cycle does.

I have seen this problem before on 384.15. It usually occurs after several weeks. This time it happened after 60 days of uptime.

I noticed the load average of 4.05 is pretty high.

Last edited:
So this happened to mine when I first installed 384.17. I turned off Statistics under Traffic Analyzer and it's been over a month with no GUI crashes. I think that feature is the culprit, for whatever reason.

So this happened to mine when I first installed 384.17. I turned off Statistics under Traffic Analyzer and it's been over a month with no GUI crashes. I think that feature is the culprit, for whatever reason.

Please come back after two months and let us know if it still worked. I have seen GUI crashes after several days but it could also last as long as 60 days.

Well as I dont have statistics turned on that wont fix it for me !!:)

Hi all - I don't know the cause of the problem but I have found that re-flashing the firmware seems to have resolved this issue for me

Hi all - I don't know the cause of the problem but I have found that re-flashing the firmware seems to have resolved this issue for me
yes , i have reflashed and so far so good ( 2 days), fingers crossed :)

GUI crashed again yesterday so looks like re-flashing did not resolve the issue for me this time. Will see if it is corrected in the next beta.

I think I will do a full/nuclear reset when the 384.18 final is released...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!