What's new

Cisco Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Wireless-N Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks you for your quick benchmark:) This thing came out just in time so I can return my E3000.

I just bought a E4200 of Ebay, cause beleive it or not, but it might not be in Canada until June!! and both Bestbuy or Cisco don't ship international...

So went with ebay, no warrenty but oh well.

Hope dd-wrt come out on this thing quickly :)

Jeez, guys. Cool your jets. It's just a router! :)

You know you love us and our never ending hunger for knowledge you feed!

Since I have you on the line, a few more hints on what you have found and how it stacks up against the WNDR3700 would make it easier to sleep tonight.

Thanks...Scott

Jeez, guys. Cool your jets. It's just a router! :)

Yes, but we must have the best to be able to enjoy absolutely flawless lan/wan experience. WNDR3700 has been a failure after what seemed was a successful release, it was degrading with every firmware release.

Thank you for the review! It reaffirms my decision to jump the gun and bought the router before your review comes out. My Linksys WRT54GL has served me well for the past 4 years and I'm looking for the E4200 to do the same, although with a lot more devices connected (iPods, iPads, media playesr, Blu-Ray players etc.) for the next few years.

Although I've been enjoying it for a few days, still nice to read mostly positive review. Thank you!

Excellent Review but wrong on IPV6 support!

Tim,

The test is simple, do this with the WNDR3700 1.0.4.68 or lower firmware and the E4200.

Goto this site: http://test-ipv6.com/

You will see the WNDR 3700 will score 0/10 on the IPV6 side, the E4200 will score 7/10 and a PASS. As a comparison the firmware that was pulled by Netgear did support IPV6 and would give the 7/10 pass. Even though you see no option in the firmware it is supported. This is an important fact for everyone to know.

I welcome anyone to test this.

Please FIX the review, the E4200 DOES SUPPORT IPV6.

Charlie C

I did this test ...could be wrong?

Tim,

The test is simple, do this with the WNDR3700 1.0.4.68 or lower firmware and the E4200.

Goto this site: http://test-ipv6.com/

You will see the WNDR 3700 will score 0/10 on the IPV6 side, the E4200 will score 7/10 and a PASS. As a comparison the firmware that was pulled by Netgear did support IPV6 and would give the 7/10 pass. Even though you see no option in the firmware it is supported. This is an important fact for everyone to know.

I welcome anyone to test this.

Please FIX the review, the E4200 DOES SUPPORT IPV6.

Charlie C

I did this test

Your IPv4 address on the public internet appears to be 76.108.136.4

Your IPv6 address on the public internet appears to be 2002:4c6c:8804:0:c01b:f147:bfc3:afa0
Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4

World IPv6 day is June 8th, 2011. No problems are anticipated for you with this browser, at this location. [more info]

Congratulations! You appear to have both IPv4 and IPv6 internet working. If a publisher publishes to IPv6, your browser will connect using IPv6. Note: Your browser appears to prefer IPv4 over IPv6 when given the choice. This may in the future affect the accuracy of sites who guess at your location.

You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no access to the IPv6 internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]

Your readiness scores
7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
7/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

untested feature

I'm guessing that IPV6 is not officially supported on this router, even though the code is in the firmware, is that the feature has not been fully tested. Time-to-market may have demanded that the feature support be delayed until full testing is done. I'm sure IPV6 will be supported on the next firmware upgrade.

I'm guessing that IPV6 is not officially supported on this router, even though the code is in the firmware, is that the feature has not been fully tested. Time-to-market may have demanded that the feature support be delayed until full testing is done. I'm sure IPV6 will be supported on the next firmware upgrade.

What's the big deal about IPV6 really? As long as router has stable firmware and good range/throughput I am sold.

Ipv6

In Tims review he clearly states and even has it as a CON that IPV6 is NOT supported, I just would like him to set the record straight in his great review and acknolodge that IPV6 is indeed supported. I have tested it, gone to many IPV6 only sites and it works perfectly, much faster the the WNDR3700 when it had IPV6 in the .92,.98 and .100 firmware (all of which I tested)

Charlie C

Thanks for the review :) Very nice reading.

Performance is very nice, removal of of all the wireless tweaking is disapointing.

And lack of Scheduling / Access Point mode is a shame..

Hopefully new firmware will improve that.

Thanks

DD-WRT support?

Does anyone expect DD-WRT support for this router?

I only ask, because I had much better luck with DD-WRT or Tomato with my WRT-54GL.

Or to put it another way has anyone had to reboot it after its been on for long periods of time?

very stable for me

I've had the E4200 for close to 6 days now. It's been very stable, no reboot so far.

same here 6 day and counting... although, to be fair, I never had to reboot wndr3700 either. Yes, it's missing some features that wndr3700 has, but I never really used them and they mostly worked half-butt anyway like traffic counter.

By your test, the E4200 appears to have IPv6 6to4 enabled by default. That is different from fully supporting IPv6 as other vendors have done.

There are no settings in the router for IPv6 and IPv6 is not spec'd by Cisco as supported.

Lack of IPv6 is still a con, but I will modify the review to cite your report. I am not able to verify it because my DSL modem is actually a router with no bridging capability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!