What's new

Client Mode (AP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MichaelCM

New Around Here
Hello,

I did buy an Asus RT-AC88U to replace an existing TP-LINK router with OpenWRT/Lede Firmware.

At the moment I am facing the problem, that the Asus firmware seems not to support the operating mode "Access Point in Client Mode". The original TP-Link firmware as well as OpenWRT/Lede have this option.

Is there any way or workaround to get this operating mode running on my Asus RT-AC88U?

Background: I need to create a secured subnet in the current network, that is providing internet access using DHCP. The Asus shall act as one client, hiding and securing the "real" clients behind.

Thanks in advance for any help and answer!

Michael

The closest to that config should be the "bridge mode". Not exactly what you are looking for but give it a try.

@MichaelCM The Asus does not support that type of configuration. You could try "bridge mode" as the previous poster said but that won't give you a separate subnet, it will just make it a part of the upstream subnet.

Thanks for all answers. I know that the "Access Point in Client Mode" is not used so much at all (mainly in networks of hotels / co-working-places by travelers with their travel routers to have their own separated / secured sub-network that can handle all their devices).

I still think it would be good feature that the "Merlin" firmware should support in the future.

If what you want to provide is a secure network with its own subnet behine the primary network then double NAT your second router behind the first. It will not degrade your speed or increase your latency.

It will make some things on your second network more difficult or impossible such as running a VPN server. VPN clients run on the double NATed just fine.

If what you want to provide is a secure network with its own subnet behind the primary network then double NAT your second router behind the first.
That's precisely what he's trying to do. The issue is not the concept but the fact that the Asus doesn't support a wireless WAN connection.

That's precisely what he's trying to do. The issue is not the concept but the fact that the Asus doesn't support a wireless WAN connection.

You are correct that my suggestion won't support a wireless WAN connection using just two AC88s, but I didn't see in his OP that the connection had to be wireless between the two subnets.

Indeed the Asus RT-AC88U shall be connected to a wired network by network cable. This network has its own DHCP server for all its clients . Then my RT-AC88U shall act as an Access Point in client mode that is also a DHCP server - but only for its own subnet (Demilitarized Zone), not the upstream network. As mentioned before, this is not possible with the current firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!