What's new

Cloud storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darkje

So all, i have a multi Asus router setup. Ax86u pro and ac86u as node. I have a few SSD's that I would like to have cloud wise acces. So kinda like Google drive. So my family can make "easy" backups of there mobile gear. Aicloud don't work with multi users.

Do you have any valid solution? Like perhaps a addon?

The correct answer is use a NAS and not a router as your "cloud" storage. Major brands (Synology, etc.) typically have a remote access app and "cloud" capability. Or one can roll their own DIY NAS using any number of guides found on the internet. If you are dead set on using the Asus router as a NAS then maybe look into using VPN server options on the router as the way to gain remote access to the router's attached USB drives.

Like perhaps a addon?

The correct answer is use a NAS and not a router as your "cloud" storage. Major brands (Synology, etc.) typically have a remote access app and "cloud" capability. Or one can roll their own DIY NAS using any number of guides found on the internet. If you are dead set on using the Asus router as a NAS then maybe look into using VPN server options on the router as the way to gain remote access to the router's attached USB drives.

I know, i have a Nas and we are not making solid use of this and it uses a good deal of energy. I thought that the new Asus routers have more horsepower it would be possible to setup something like owncloud. Even Aicloud would be fine with multiple logins. I don't care about its speed, or if in some cases it is not available.

I would avoid plugging in drives into home Internet gateway device and allowing access from WAN. More so if some Ai feature is involved with phone App. You should be more concerned about security in this case. As always - it's your choice what to do.

Whatever you feel comfortable with setting up and using.

I have the same question as the OP: I want to share files from my router to WAN, setting up multiple users with different permissions. I'm using ftp for now, and it works great, but security is low and younger generations haven't heard of ftp, so I want to go for something both more secure and easier to use. I checked the entware packages list but haven't found anything. Heard about owncloud, nextcloud and others, but don't have time to experiment with each and see which works best.
So maybe someone has the knowledge or experience to share?

My current router is an AX86U, but will soon upgrade to an AX88U-Pro (need 2.5 Gig ports for both LAN and WAN).

For a NAS, you're better off biting the bullet and running a NAS.
I had a 2 drive Synology and it worked well. Not the cheapest box, but well thought out and great software.

I needed a bit more space, had a machine available, so installed TrueNAS on it and it is worth the effort of rebuilding the Synology's data on the new NAS.

I have the same question as the OP: I want to share files from my router to WAN, setting up multiple users with different permissions.
The router isn't a NAS. If you want or need an NAS its generally best to get or build an NAS. Plenty of NAS options to choose from including DIY building your own from spare/unused computers and hard drives.

FTP is not secure. SFTP is better but really, if you want security look to using the VPN server option on the router so VPN clients can access the router and it's local network securely. One can enable the Samba (SMB) file server on the router to control access to a USB hard drive attached to the router. One can configure users and permissions to that USB drive through the router interface. But again the router isn't an NAS. A true NAS will typically offer better user controls and security and one will likely get better file through put (read/write speed) on a NAS versus trying to use the router's USB port and attached USB drive. While Asus has their AiCloud, not sure how many actually use it or recommend using it.

I don't need a NAS, I want to share files from the drive connected to the router. In an easy way (like for example sending a download link), easier than ftp (so Samba via VPN does definitely not qualify).

I understand some people like to invest into separate tools for every job, I prefer to use the "Swiss army knives" that I already got to their full potential, if they are enough for my needs. In this case, the router should be enough.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!