What's new

comparing two router models manfactured within 6 months of each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Needsleep

New Around Here
I have a choice between keeping a T-Mobile Asus TM-AC1900 wi-fi router, installed July, 2015 for a $100 surrender fee, and buying a new RT-AC1900P from Best Buy for $180. When I look at these they were both manufactured only 6 months apart and they both run AC1900.

I also found this article on your site,
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-rt-ac68p-rt-ac1900-rt-ac1900p.35759/

According to the first table in the article, the only difference is that the TM-AC1900 runs at 800 MHz and the RT-AC1900P runs at 1400 MHz. Can you tell me if buying a new RT-AC1900P is going to be definitely worth $75? I am not flush at the moment, but if you were also going to tell me either purchase was likely to be obsolete within a year, I'd buy a newer model than either of these two represent.

In summary, I'm willing to spend $100 if I can get more than one year out of it. I'm not willing to put in $75 more, without good reason.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

Don't get the T-Mobile it's not worth it. It's firmware hasn't been updated for years and you cannot install the current Asus firmware like you can on the RT-AC68U, et al. Get an RT-AC68U, RT-AC1900P or something similar.

For the money try to find a Asus rt-ac86u. I know you said you had 2 choices, but it might be worth it for about the same money.

The TM-AC1900 is also considered EOL, which means there probably won't be any further firmware update for it. I wouldn't spend a dime on one right now, unless I'd be looking at running something like DD-WRT on it.

Get the AC86U. You can run Merlins firmware and is definitely a step up from the AC68U. Search around, you should be able to find one for around $160 usd.

Thank you all for your input.
I am now the proud new owner of an ASUS RT-AC86U.
I'll install it tomorrow.

The ISP told me any router will work with their system, but it's the modem that has to be compatible, when I asked them about the intended router I wished to buy.
I've been using a Motorola SURFBoard SB-6141 modem, which I installed in 2013. It's a separate box; not part of a router/modem combination. I've been using it with their system successfully to date.
Would you anticipate any issues as I install the much newer router?

Thanks,
Kevin

Just in case your unaware as I was, the default IP address for the 86U is 192.168.50.1 , not the typical 192.168.1.1. Why Asus chose this, no idea. Apparently they have done this before.

Just in case your unaware as I was, the default IP address for the 86U is 192.168.50.1 , not the typical 192.168.1.1. Why Asus chose this, no idea. Apparently they have done this before.

Possibly they envision the router being used at one end of a VPN link between 2 routers.

If one end of the link already has a non-typical IP address range, in most cases it will not overlap with the IP address range at the other end of the link.

So the VPN becomes easier to set up and one source of problems / help desk tickets / dissatisfied users is already eliminated.

Possibly they envision the router being used at one end of a VPN link between 2 routers.

If one end of the link already has a non-typical IP address range, in most cases it will not overlap with the IP address range at the other end of the link.

So the VPN becomes easier to set up and one source of problems / help desk tickets / dissatisfied users is already eliminated.
Well, didn't think of that but if it save them a few bucks that's ok. I left mine as is, no reason to change it.

Thank you all for your input.
I am now the proud new owner of an ASUS RT-AC86U.
I'll install it tomorrow.

The ISP told me any router will work with their system, but it's the modem that has to be compatible, when I asked them about the intended router I wished to buy.
I've been using a Motorola SURFBoard SB-6141 modem, which I installed in 2013. It's a separate box; not part of a router/modem combination. I've been using it with their system successfully to date.
Would you anticipate any issues as I install the much newer router?

Thanks,
Kevin

Your ISP should have a list of cable modems that will work on their system. Check their web site or do a Google search for compatible modems for your ISP.

Sam