What's new

Configuring Dual WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wah00kid

Occasional Visitor
Hello All,

So I am trying to configure my rt-ac3100 (currently on the latest beta firmware) with dual wan set up.

I would like my primary WAN to be Starlink.

I would like my secondary "fallback" WAN to be my DSL ISP.

My Set up is as follows:

Screenshot-2021-03-22-1-33-16-PM.png

Here are what the two configurations look like:

Screenshot-2021-03-22-1-34-02-PM.png

Screenshot-2021-03-22-1-34-20-PM.png

So that is what my configuration looks like. Well it doesn't work. It gets the Starlink at the primary fine but when I pull the cable out of the router I can't get it to fallback to the DSL as the secondary.

I might need to set it all up in the Asus and do a reset on everything Starlink and my DSL modem.

BUT, also.

I am having a problem even when my Starlink is connected as a single WAN which might be having an impact on the Dual Mode.

Starlink seems to want addresses in the 192.168.100.x mode. While my old set up with my DSL ISP is 192.168.0.x so all of my networking drives and such just disappear with the Starlink.

Could this impact this.

All of this dual wan non-sense is in the chance that the Starlink drops service (beta or obstruction) during zoom calls for work so that I fall back to the DSL ISP. I am hopeful that this will be seemless but I am probably wrong about that anyway.

Thanks for anytime you spent reading this or even replying.

!

Last edited:
Hello All,

So I am trying to configure my rt-ac3100 (currently on the latest beta firmware) with dual wan set up.

I would like my primary WAN to be Starlink.

I would like my secondary "fallback" WAN to be my DSL ISP.

My Set up is as follows:

Screenshot-2021-03-22-1-33-16-PM.png

Here are what the two configurations look like:

Screenshot-2021-03-22-1-34-02-PM.png

Screenshot-2021-03-22-1-34-20-PM.png

So that is what my configuration looks like. Well it doesn't work. It gets the Starlink at the primary fine but when I pull the cable out of the router I can't get it to fallback to the DSL as the secondary.

I might need to set it all up in the Asus and do a reset on everything Starlink and my DSL modem.

BUT, also.

I am having a problem even when my Starlink is connected as a single WAN which might be having an impact on the Dual Mode.

Starlink seems to want addresses in the 192.168.100.x mode. While my old set up with my DSL ISP is 192.168.0.x so all of my networking drives and such just disappear with the Starlink.

Could this impact this.

All of this dual wan non-sense is in the chance that the Starlink drops service (beta or obstruction) during zoom calls for work so that I fall back to the DSL ISP. I am hopeful that this will be seemless but I am probably wrong about that anyway.

Thanks for anytime you spent reading this or even replying.

!
I am facing same problem that only physical ethernet cable kicks in router to use secondary WAN and vice versa.

Asus dual WAN fail-over is available in Asuswrt, but not working properly. I've done many experiments with different firmware versions and it's all the same - someone has to physically unplug the cable to trigger WAN switching. I gave up long time ago and in places I need dual WAN I use Cisco RV34x routers. They switch back and forth with no issues and almost transparent.

Same problem here...i cant get dual wan to kick in on my RT-AC68U either...this feature used to work many firmware updates ago but since it was so long ago i cant remember which firmware it worked last time..

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!