What's new

Connection issues to Talktalk ISP's router set in Bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stagger321

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I had originally looked at buying a DSL-AC88U to replace my ISP's supplied cheapish Huawei HG633, as I wanted Gigabit ports for internal network data speed, decent VPN setting, Good Wifi speeds/range etc, all the stuff the HG633 did not give me.

In the end, on advise here (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/d...ty-question-and-stability-vs-dsl-ac68u.48951/) I have purchased the non modem router RT-AC86U, and want to link it to my HG633 with that set in Bridge modem.
I am getting big fat zero from HG633, so am after advise here. Another user on the Talktalk forums has this working on an ADSL line, but the settings are subtly different on the VDSL menu for the HG633.

The Asus is set thus (I am not sure if PPoE is correct btw):
ASUS RT-AC86U - WAN page
Talktalk router bridge settings are thus:
HG633-Internet settings
HG633- network-interface-page
HG633-Internet-connection-status

Many Thanks

Last edited:
I have TalkTalk Business Fibre and am using a BT Openreach modem, but the HG633 in bridge mode should work as far as I know from my wanderings of the web when setting up. I used the Openreach simply as I knew it would work without any config, I had one spare, and it meant I could put the provided one back in with no config changes should the need arise (my router melts down, some ISP issue that I don't want them to blame on my equipment).

It is PPPoE, these are my settings (nothing special, just put user/password in);
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 14.14.17.png

I followed these instructions to pull my password from my provided router (basically inspect the source of the webpage when viewing it on the router) http://superpowered77.rssing.com/chan-54315824/all_p147.html
Not sure if you'll have blasted that config already though? In theory, if you reset the provided router it will pick up the credentials again automatically via TR069, then you can inspect it and then put it back into bridge mode.

From my research when I set it up, residential and business fibre worked the same, just a different username.

OK, thanks - will try that.
Interestingly, my WAN page (posted above in link) is identical to yours - save the username/passwd)
BY Openreach modem, I assume you mean the Huawei HG612 vdsl2 modem, that someone had pointed me at?

Last edited:
Then again, I am reading negative articles about what you are trying to do. Here is one: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/HG633-and-Asus-router/td-p/2215312

Based on what you want to do, I would recommend purchasing your own modem, assuming that is possible. I found three whose prices range from £66 to £20. I did something similar with my own cable modem and RT-AC86U. It was 90% plug and play as I made minor changes to router configuration to meet my requirements.

That is true ApexRon, but I am working off this : https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5...idge-mode-working-on-HG633/m-p/2256894#M26175
- albeit these instructions are from ADSL, and I am the guy at the bottom of the thread btw.
By 'own router' - you mean the HG612 Openreach router?
I am suggesting you purchase a modem (Netgear, D-Link, whatever is certified by your ISP) not a router as you already have an ASUS router. I base my suggestion on KIS (keep it simple). However, I encourage you to try recommendations using your Huawei HG633.

Just get an Openreach modem as I have stagger321. It will always work as the DSLAM's in the cabinet are provided by BT anyway! I've used my same Openreach modem with BT, Sky and now TalkTalk VDSL fibre connections (all with Asus router behind it).

Loads on eBay for £10-30

If you get a Huawei one (not an ECI one), it's easy to hack to get to the admin interface. Then you just add a custom route on your Asus (running Merlin's F/W of course) and you can reach the modem to check stats anytime from your LAN
Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 15.27.19.png

If you get a Huawei one (not an ECI one), it's easy to hack to get to the admin interface. Then you just add a custom route on your Asus (running Merlin's F/W of course) and you can reach the modem to check stats anytime from your LAN
View attachment 14643
I use a Netgear cable modem which has a GUI maintenance interface whose IP address is on a different 192.168 network than my router. When I want to look at the modem I just put its IP address in the browser, the ASUS doesn't know that IP address so it forwards to ISP gateway but is intercepted by modem. No routes required in ASUS, ASUS firmware.

I use a Netgear cable modem which has a GUI maintenance interface whose IP address is on a different 192.168 network than my router. When I want to look at the modem I just put its IP address in the browser, the ASUS doesn't know that IP address so it forwards to ISP gateway but is intercepted by modem. No routes required in ASUS, ASUS firmware.

The Huawei isn't smart enough to do that. It's just a case running Merlin F/W (which everyone with an Asus should do IMO!), enable the jffs partition and adding these lines to /jffs/scripts/services-start
Code:
ifconfig $(nvram get wan0_ifname):1 10.11.20.254 netmask 255.255.255.0
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING ! -s $(nvram get lan_ipaddr) -d 10.11.20.0/24 -j SNAT --to 10.11.20.254
logger Set routing to BT Openreach Modem

Adjusting the subnet to the one you put the modem on of course!

Its sorted folks - with the HG633 in bridge mode.
As JDM advised - let it sort itself out, and it selects Automatic IP - and voila - it works. I am getting I am getting a decent throughput router, upload & download.

My mistake here was to try and do a manual setup on the Asus before connecting to the HG633 when in bridge mode.

Having issues with VPN Client, but if it continues to work like this, for now I will be very happy for now.

WRT the route adds to the modem, yes, that is something I have to do, along with a ton of other stuff like locking a ton of MAC addys to static IPs.

I may go Merlin at some point, but I'm happy to leave it at this point - if it ain't broken etc.

Many thanks for the help.

VPN client is not working.
Using PIA and after following their ASUSWRT instructions here: PIA ASUSWRT instructions, I still can't get it to work.

Have been using PIA for a couple of years, with client based PIA installs on Windows PCs and RasperryPi. So I am used to using it.
I follow the asuswrt-firmware-openvpn-setup guide to the letter - but no joy, even when I manually add the two DNS servers they mention at the bottom of the instructions.
To try this out I have loaded UK based profiles, and a couple of others. Same issue with all.
It says its connected. but then I lose all internet. Even after a reboot.
(BTW, Those profiles work fine on a windows client).

So I have to login again and disconnect to the 'connected' profile
Is there likely to be some router based firewall thing preventing this working.

TIA.

Lo again.
Question about the IPTV settings for the RT-AC86U.
I have the Talktalk router (in Bridge mode) LAN1 connected to the WAN port on the ASUS, and web stuff working OK.
But my TT Youview box is temperamental when streaming Sky channels.
Talktalk say I have to set a 3rd part router thus for IPTV.
upload_2018-10-8_11-7-41.png

On the Asus's LAN -> IPTV page I have options, but these do not really tie up with the options above (I have the username/password set elsewhere).
It seems I can either select the LAN port for the Youview box, or enable IGMP, but not both at the same time. What should I select on the IPTV page?

Thanks

Just get an Openreach modem as I have stagger321. It will always work as the DSLAM's in the cabinet are provided by BT anyway! I've used my same Openreach modem with BT, Sky and now TalkTalk VDSL fibre connections (all with Asus router behind it).

Loads on eBay for £10-30

Hi I am currently I have a Virgin media uk in modem mode connect to Asus RT-3100. Unfortunately I have to move to another flat where I will use talktalk .Can you confirm I should buy a Huawei HG612 or whatelse? and it will be plug in to my Asus?

What type of configuration I need??

Hi I am currently I have a Virgin media uk in modem mode connect to Asus RT-3100. Unfortunately I have to move to another flat where I will use talktalk .Can you confirm I should buy a Huawei HG612 or whatelse? and it will be plug in to my Asus?

What type of configuration I need??

Yes it will work. No configuration needed on the modem.

Google for how to work out the user/password for the PPP session (if it does one, I’m TT Business so it appears slightly different to a home solution at the authentication level).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it will work. No configuration needed on the modem.

Google for how to work out the user/password for the PPP session (if it does one, I’m TT Business so it appears slightly different to a home solution at the authentication level).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!