What's new

connectivity issue need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

henry8866

Occasional Visitor
I'm using Comcast internet 300Mbps. AC68U with aus-merlin 384.17. About 35 devices online with half of smart plugs/bulbs.

Recently noticed often hiccup during online meeting/kids classes. It just froze for a while (less than 20 seconds) and then back to normal.
wifi speed test close to router, 5G around 300Mbps, while 2.4G only up to 10-20Mbps (even much lower than data cellular provider). both show full bar wifi signal.

what could be the issue and where do I start with troubleshooting?

Thanks.

check for neighbors maybe the channel youre using is too crowded?
we would need to know a little but more about your setup. what are your 2.4 parameters? encryption, bandwidth, channel?

For the 2.4 GHz band it may be like it is here unusable period just to many AP's ect on that band for any kind of stability. Not uncommon in 2020 and it will likely never get any better only worse.

You have to also consider the possibility of other NON wifi devices using the 2.4GHz band. Wifi devices at least are cooperative, meaning they are aware of the potential for interference and careful orchestrate access to the freq so no one station dominates. But other NON wifi devices are not so cooperative. A microwave oven, wireless phone, etc., is likely to grab the 2.4GHz freq all to itself until no longer needed, causing lengthy outages w/ your wifi devices. Yet another reason wifi (esp. 2.4GHz) is so problematic and best avoided whenever possible.

Below is the 2.4GHz parameters I am using. Is it better to set channel to Auto so it can adjust to avoid crowded channels that neighbors are using?

I'd like to use 5GHz as much as possible but most of time it can't reach the other end of the house. Will a mesh router like eero/google wifi make improvement?

1601407158864.png

Below is the 2.4GHz parameters I am using. Is it better to set channel to Auto so it can adjust to avoid crowded channels that neighbors are using?

I'd like to use 5GHz as much as possible but most of time it can't reach the other end of the house. Will a mesh router like eero/google wifi make improvement?

View attachment 26553
Why not invest in another Asus router? Asus mesh works as well as the others unless you want to spend $400 and more!
Your 2.4 GHZ looks good but use the Wireless/Site Survey to see of CH 1 or 6 is better/no overlaps from neighbors.
Edit: If you are using USB set the USB 3 port to USB 2 operation. May help the 2.4 GHZ signal.

Why not invest in another Asus router? Asus mesh works as well as the others unless you want to spend $400 and more!
Your 2.4 GHZ looks good but use the Wireless/Site Survey to see of CH 1 or 6 is better/no overlaps from neighbors.
Edit: If you are using USB set the USB 3 port to USB 2 operation. May help the 2.4 GHZ signal.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not using USB port. I tried channel 1/6/11, got similar or worse (on channel 6) results.

Another Asus could be another option. I did read from this forum a few months ago that Asus mesh may not easy to setup, several posts mentioned failure of connecting, I guess depends on what model? not sure if there are recent improvement in this regard.

It turns out that culprit is my phone! I used another phone to test and the speed is around 100Mbps for 2.4GHz.
Does anyone know what could cause this on my phone? It is iPhone 11 with iOS 14. Used both speedtest.net app and webpage with same cap of 20Mbps.
I don't have Qos settings.

Last edited:
It turns out that culprit is my phone! I used another phone to test and the speed is around 100Mbps for 2.4GHz.
Does anyone know what could cause this on my phone? It is iPhone 11 with iOS 14. Used both speedtest.net app and webpage with same cap of 20Mbps.
I don't have Qos settings.
Apply a reset network settings on your iPhone and connect to your router again. It might solve your iPhone problem.

Regardless the wifi speed test not accurate on my iPhone, I am still experience some wifi frozen issue from various devices.

If invest a new Asus router and create mesh with current AC68U, what model would you recommend? Amazon prime day is soon and hope there is deal :)

Thank you.