What's new

Crazy idea: Overclocking R9000 need help (annapurna labs alpine cpu)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello would any one happen to know how to overclock via ssh for an annapurna labs alpine based router? I'm using dd-wdr but can't seem to find any way to overlock this or any other atheros router. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
your cpu is an annapurna labs alpine (amazon), not a qca. Just the radios.......

I'd be careful about overclocking, the R9000 get sweltering hot on stock clocks as it is, when doing CPU intensive tasks like PLEX transcoding, from my own experience. The CPU is already pretty powerful on stock clocks compared to most routers anyway, well other than the X86 based ones.

I'd be careful about overclocking, the R9000 get sweltering hot on stock clocks as it is, when doing CPU intensive tasks like PLEX transcoding, from my own experience. The CPU is already pretty powerful on stock clocks compared to most routers anyway, well other than the X86 based ones.

True what firmware do you use? I'm curious to how far I could push this baby

It's on stock, letting family use it actually. I'm using the R7800 instead, at home due its longer 5Ghz range and speed. I don't really need that much CPU power anyway as I have a separate NAS if I really need transcoding and I don't use VPN either.

Last edited:
Hello would any one happen to know how to overclock via ssh for a atheros based router? I'm using dd-wdr but can't seem to find any way to overlock this or any other atheros router. Thanks

IMO proper way is not hardware overclocking, but to force it to utilize full power of its CPU. Special optimized custom FW build :)

Voxel.

You could ask in the DD-WRT forums, Kong, one of the devs has an R9000. Also ask in the LEDE forums (They are the OpenWRT devs). I highly doubt you would get a positive response, they'd probably just say what I told you about how it's not worth it.

Can't say about x86, but the Alpine is pretty stout...

I'm not seeing a good reason for trying to overclock it...

It's more curious to see how far I can push it and if there are any benefits to it. Does anyone know where to find ram and bus speeds for routers?

IMO proper way is not hardware overclocking, but to force it to utilize full power of its CPU. Special optimized custom FW build :)

Voxel.

Voxel is there a way for you to make s specialty optimized custom fw to let me and others overclock and and more power to the antennas for the r9000? I have the cooling to support this via a strong laptop cooler and elevation.

The CPU gets scalding hot with stuff like PLEX transcoding, even with a laptop cooler I doubt it’s worth it. I was a tester for this unit trust me you don’t want to do anything like that. Its cpu is already powerful as it is. Also you no can’t give more power to the antennas. If you want better WiFi performance get an R7800... If CPU isn’t fast enough for you for VPN etc, then you should look at x86 based pFsense units which are way more powerful.

The CPU gets scalding hot, even with a laptop cooler I doubt it’s worth it. I was a tester for this unit trust me you don’t want to do anything like that. Its cpu is already powerful as it is. Also you no can’t give more power to the antennas. If you want better WiFi performance get an R7800...

Odd my unit actually seems to run pretty cool on the latest dd-wrt firmware. I thought on older dd-wrt firmware it gave you the option to increase the Tx power for the antennas

Try PLEX transcoding and you will see what I mean, simple routing wont stress it. Also some of those functions on DD-WRT won’t increase antenna power if the hardware won’t allow it, no matter what number you decide to enter. Also the CPU clock scales based on demand, so yes you can force it to always run at a certain speed or maybe overclock it at a fixed speed but that would be highly unadvisable.

Voxel is there a way for you to make s specialty optimized custom fw to let me and others overclock and and more power to the antennas for the r9000? I have the cooling to support this via a strong laptop cooler and elevation.

What is your goal? Two different things are discussed: overclocking CPU and increase of Tx power.

If you overclock CPU, your Wi-Fi signal will not be higher. Other goal of CPU overclocking? If to speedup e.g. OpenVPN then more elegant method is e.g. to use hardware acceleration of OpenSSL I could implement. And if you even overclock the CPU you will not get faster OpenVPN using stock firmware vs normal clocking with my hardware accelerated OpenSSL. Similar to use for example generic Intel video card with powerful computer vs nVidia video card with more weak computer.

If you just intend to increase Tx power: also questionable. What for? To increase the speed? Sometimes increase of Wi-Fi signal power of only AP leads to speed degradation. Because there is also client’s side with its own power which you did not increase. Also, it is not good for health. Children around us. (And could lead to protests of your neighbors feeling problems in their sexual life :)).

So what for?

Voxel.

Its not only the children but also our pets around us, you want stability from the wifi NOT the most possible radiation.

Sorry, I am against of all this.

Increase of Tx power. Three reasons why I am against of this:

1. Influence to health.
2. Really it will not increase the speed and range, because you have also increase the Tx power of your clients. Otherwise you will get rather speed or/and range degradation. Just client can "hear" your router, but your router does not "hear" your client and repeats again what was already said.
3. It is some kind of law violations (crime). What could be problematic not only for you, but for me too if I provide such possibility.

Moreover, FCC regulations do not allow this, so manufacturers lock down this possibility. Such stuffs are hard-coded in pre-built parts of manufactures drivers, but not in open codes.

Usually increase of Wi-Fi range is performed by use of directional antennas in concrete direction. Or by adding special re-translators (additional access points). You can try to use different country codes with your router, e.g. set US or TW if you are not from these countries but e.g. from Europe. Just to test will it be useful for your clients.

OC: Also I am against of this. AL-514 is already one of the most powerful Cortex-A15. Netgear developers were unable to use all potential of this CPU, because their firmware is optimized for generic ARM-V7a. I.e. they do not use full set if CPU instructions. But my build does that, because is optimized for concrete Cortex-A15. Plus, increase of CPU clocking does not help in such basic stuffs as throughput of usual traffic: e.g. hardware acceleration of NAT is a work for chipset and corresponding drivers but not for CPU. CPU is used for such stuffs as e.g. OpenVPN with its encryption. But for this much more correct approach is hardware acceleration of OpenSSL. E.g. my version of OpenSSL works is in 6 times faster in some encryption operation than stock version. So you would not get such acceleration just overclocking CPU but still using stock firmware.

Plus possible damage of unit...

Voxel.

Last edited:
Sorry, I am against of all this.

Increase of Tx power. Three reasons why I am against of this:

1. Influence to health.
2. Really it will not increase the speed and range, because you have also increase the Tx power of your clients. Otherwise you will get rather speed or/and range degradation. Just client can "hear" your router, but your router does not "hear" your client and repeats again what was already said.
3. It is some kind of law violations (crime). What could be problematic not only for you, but for me too if I provide such possibility.

Moreover, FCC regulations do not allow this, so manufacturers lock down this possibility. Such stuffs are hard-coded in pre-built parts of manufactures drivers, but not in open codes.

Usually increase of Wi-Fi range is performed by use of directional antennas in concrete direction. Or by adding special re-translators (additional access points). You can try to use different country codes with your router, e.g. set US or TW if you are not from these countries but e.g. from Europe. Just to test will it be useful for your clients.

OC: Also I am against of this. AL-514 is already one of the most powerful Cortex-A15. Netgear developers were unable to use all potential of this CPU, because their firmware is optimized for generic ARM-V7a. I.e. they do not use full set if CPU instructions. But my build does that, because is optimized for concrete Cortex-A15. Plus, increase of CPU clocking does not help in such basic stuffs as throughput of usual traffic: e.g. hardware acceleration of NAT is a work for chipset and corresponding drivers but not for CPU. CPU is used for such stuffs as e.g. OpenVPN with its encryption. But for this much more correct approach is hardware acceleration of OpenSSL. E.g. my version of OpenSSL works is in 6 times faster in some encryption operation than stock version. So you would not get such acceleration just overclocking CPU but still using stock firmware.

Plus possible damage of unit...

Voxel.

Where does your build live so I can give it a try? Also didn’t they loosen up the fcc rules on tx power in the US so wouldn’t it be legal to bump up the power, assuming your not by a military site or weather radar (I’m not.) the issue is I live in a large house and I want to have just one router for all traffic because I do not have any Ethernet in the walls.

Also what benefits does your firmware have over dd-wrt?

You can’t increase TX power, the manufacturer would be liable if they allow it to be end user changeable (increase above set limits). Therefore they do a good job to ensure you can’t. Also it would be unfair to your neighbors in the event your signal was interfering, also simply increasing TX power isn’t necessarily always that good, it can also increase noise -> errors.

This is stock based so proprietary drivers are used which means more functioning items, faster WiFi and more stable in general. On top of it Voxel adds updated packages and tweaks stuff like HW acceleration.

Last edited:
Also, note that power management is much different from the days of the WRT54G. Radios no longer simply emit at a fixed output power, that power level is dynamically adjusted based on various factors (such as modulation scheme, the channel used, etc...). Ultimately the driver will control the power based on these requirements, not based on a static value. You might still be able to provide one, but it will simply be ignored by the hardware.

That's another reason why those output power parameters no longer make any sense on a router's webui.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!