What's new

Creating Secure Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

uMinded

New Around Here
I am by no means a networking guru, I can set up a home network no problem but I need advice on proper security.

I have recently been working out of town and as a result I am collaborating on projects from hotel rooms, open wifi and anywhere I can get a little bit of internets which has some of the people I work with a bit concerned about their security.

At my home I have an encrypted ZFS file server that currently has NFS, SAMBA and FTP servers running. My main workstation in the house is where I compile all my code. When I am out of town I ssh into my workstation which has the ZFS mounted via NFS and I use screen/emacs to compile. When I am working on something large I mount the FTP on my latptop so I can use Eclipse to code but still use ssh to issue make commands. I also use XRDP/VNC to use my workstation remotely for some random things.

I am wondering if this is a great idea and if an encrypted VPN would be a better option but I have never set up a VPN.

I drew the two ideas out in case my description was lacking. Can someone lend me some advice please?

Note: All machines are Linux, ZFS NAS device is BSD.

Attachments

• Network #1.jpg
    Network #1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 497
  • Network #2.jpg
    Network #2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 302