What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.30SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Voxel.

I got the replacement. its working fine. But i was wondering why HT160 mode is in disabled state.

How do i enable it. It is greyed out. is that a bugy firmware. I upgraded to latest 1.0.2.28.

Is it gray in Advanced Wireless Settings HT160?
images

R7800-V1.0.1.30 is the lates STOCK FW

Yes it is grey. No 1.0.2.28 is the latest firmware.

2w50ocx.png

As per the log of change note. This was disabled by default.

But it was fixed on the initial release.

1. Fixed the issue where the Wireless HT160 is disabled by default.
28kkje0.png

Yes 1.0.2.28 is the latest FW, sorry need my glasses again:cool:
Try Voxels latest R7800-V1.0.2.30SF it works in there.

original
Now i got it for it to functon DFS channels are required for bonding. For now if the region is set to US it works

original

And remember that Wide 80MHz & 160MHz channels improve throughput only when full channel bandwidth is free from interfering transmissions.
There is only 2 CH to choose

Did you create you own authorized_keys file? this can be done with Puttygen
you need to do this and add it to the stick also.

DIR of stick should have
Autorun--folder
authorized_keys=-- file you need to create and add
and other files that were in tared

after done left the same error. and router queries login...

I would leave 160Mhz off, since the early days its caused issues with Intel 7260ac chips and I believe they still mention that in firmware notes. In addition other than the about to be released 2x2 Intel 9260 (9560 for OEM) I don't see where you would use 160Mhz channels. Wouldn't make sense connecting to another R7800 either as it switches to 2 streams in 160 MHz mode anyway rather than 4 in 80 MHz mode. Basically unless you have a 2x2 160 MHz WiFi card I don't think it's useful.

Last edited:
yes i agree. may be recent smartphone should be capable of 160mhz with 2x2 streams even apple can do that and samsung. Not sure.

is there any PCI-e card that can consume.

I saw the edimax have a usb card which it support 2x2 with MU-MIMO but no where mentioned 160mhz

How about bridging or using the x4 7300 in extended mode. Will the link gives 1gb/s speed closed to LAN speed 80% atleast. I know it depends on 5ghz signal strength. say 10 meters from router in between wall.

There are no 160Mhz clients I know of, definitely no Apple products, my iPhone 7+ doesn't even support MU-MIMO let alone 160 MHz. Not sure the Galaxy S8 supports it. Also I believe range is less in 160Mhz assuming I interpreted the FCC test data correctly.

As for bridging you would still hit a max link rate of 1733 on 5Ghz with 80 or 160 MHz as the latter can only use two streams. I'm guessing actual throughput would probably be like 800-900 Mbps assuming line of sight and a short distance.

Last edited:
after done left the same error. and router queries login...

this is taken from the openwrt wiki: (removed openwrt ref to avoid confusion) original info
Start putty.exe and do the following:
  • Session: In "Host Name" enter the router's DNS name or IP address, e.g. for access from the LAN enter , then also adopt the "Port" statement here. The protocol ("connection type") is always "SSH".
  • Connection → Data: In the box "Login details" enter the "Auto-login username" which is root.
  • Connection → SSH → Auth: In the box "Authentication Parameters" under "Private key file for Authentication" state the path to your private key file for this connection (e.g. the Private-Key.ppk file you created before). Best is to click "Browse…" and select the file via the file dialog.
  • Session: Load- save or delete a stored session, enter Session in Saved Sessions and click the Save button
  • (optional) Connection → SSH → Tunnels: Here you can define tunnels, which offer you the possibility to access services on your router and LAN with exposing them to the internet. The connection will be done through your SSH connection, hence tunnel. Example to access the router's WebIF: Define a "Local" tunnel with the source port 80 and the destination localhost:80; don't forget to "Add" it. This will allow you to access the router's WebIF in your browser via localhost:80. Note that the destination is always resolved on the other side of the tunnel.

So the x4 7300 would give 1gb/s like wired connection feel even the rated 50% less throughput is achieve it will be 800+Mbps.

Thats good. If required we can connect to switch and extend it .

One more query .

Say if x4 is connected and all the spatial streams are active. for it to achieve 1733 Mbps. Asuming the data transfer is happening internally connected hdd of files size 100GB from connected storage on the router. Say it is achieving 80MB/s or 750Mbps

Though the fact non of the rated speed is achieved.

If 3 more wireless clients of 2x2 of 2 devices and 3x3 of 1 devices also doing some Internet activity of 1gbs Internet.

Can any of the router handle say 150-200MB/s Internal and Internet traffic.

Hey guys, maybe someone here can help me.
I'm currently running this version of the firmware and i keep getting random restarts on a nearly daily basis and have no clue why this is happening. Log File only states that firmware is initialized after the reboot so i can't check what happened before the reboot.

Any of you guys has any idea what i can do to fix those random restarts ?

Hey guys, maybe someone here can help me.
I'm currently running this version of the firmware and i keep getting random restarts on a nearly daily basis and have no clue why this is happening. Log File only states that firmware is initialized after the reboot so i can't check what happened before the reboot.

Any of you guys has any idea what i can do to fix those random restarts ?

Have you done a "reset to factory defaults" for the router since you flashed the firmware? That's the first thing that I'd try, is a reset the router to factory defaults, then manually re-enter your configuration settings. That will most likely take a few minutes, but if you haven't done it might fix this sort of problem.

To do this, you can either use the recessed reset button on the back of the router, hold that until the power light starts flashing, or hold it for about 8-10 seconds before releasing it...you can use a paper clip or toothpick or something to press the button. Or you can use the "reset to factory defaults" setting in the admin web GUI. You could also use telnet, but the previous two reset methods are easier to do.

Have you done a "reset to factory defaults" since you flashed the firmware? That's the first thing that I'd try, is a reset to factory defaults, then manually re-enter your configuration settings. That will most likely take a few minutes, but if you haven't done it might fix this sort of problem.
unfortunately i did a factory reset twice. It actually looked like the problem was gone after the second try. But that was just because the restarts happened when nobody was home. I'm checking the logs every day since about a week now and there is a restart happening nearly every day at some point. I also checked if the router gets hot or something but its just a little warm to the touch and it's placed out in the open with no direct sunlight.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!