What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.30SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i mean the QOS is getting broken i see -ve traffic and no live bandwidth monitoring on the attached devices as well the priorities are getting reset to low for all wired and wireless and at times the wireless clients getting disconnected from Internet and Local Intranet for streaming and other web activities.

All a mess overall. But Internet works ok for Wired devices but the traffic seems to not using the full bandwidth even though i dont have much activity of internet usage it should give full bandwidth to download but instead it only gives 20-40% of the bandwidth and never goes up even when all the wireless clients are disconnected.

Something strange with your settings. Latest QoS DB, April 2017 (my build, not stock FW):

E1eVP2

My bandwidth is 60/60. The same for upload: displays near to 60Mbps.

Voxel.

True when it works. but when it about to broke or broken it is blank applicationwise or -ve traffice and all falls apart.

True when it works. but when it about to broke or broken it is blank applicationwise or -ve traffice and all falls apart.

I really do not understand you. English is not native language for me and it is very difficult to understand what do you mean. “-ve traffice”: what does it mean? Could you please avoid misprints and specific abbreviations?

Anyway (what I was able to understand): you do not have any problems with default QoS DB embedded into firmware (e.g. stock 1.0.2.20), but you get these problems only when this DB is updated. So maybe something is going wrong with update to your router. Just try my next custom build with latest QoS DB included into firmware: I intend to release such version soon. No updates are expected in nearest time.

FYI: I have about 7-8 wireless clients (laptops, pads, phones) and nobody from my family reports me any problems (disconnections). QoS DB is latest (2017, April).

Voxel.

Hi Voxel.

I did tried your firmware may be i didnt reset at that time but used to revert to old database.

Yes it could be wrong update . Automatically updating the database or manually updating the database is causing the issue.

i mean the negative traffic is below one when it is about to broken or crashing the following traffic is observed.

All this with stock firmware only. I have tried yours but didnt reset so it was still the same.

original

Hi Voxel.

I did tried your firmware may be i didnt reset at that time but used to revert to old database.

Yes it could be wrong update . Automatically updating the database or manually updating the database is causing the issue.

i mean the negative traffic is below one when it is about to broken or crashing the following traffic is observed.

All this with stock firmware only. I have tried yours but didnt reset so it was still the same.

original

Try a tftp reflash.
1. Press the reset button and hold it, then take out the power, then reconnect and when the power light starts to blinks white release the reset button.
2. Then set your IP on a computer to a fixed IP i.e. 192.168.1.2.
3. Next enable tftp protocol in Windows "Programs and Features".
4. Then open command prompt and type "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 name-of-firmware.img"
5. After a minute or so restart the router and it should boot into the reinstalled firmware.

Just curious does this firmware fix the dhcp issue / wired connection issue?
I am wondering the same but don't have a R7800 to try it with. Could you try it and let us know? The R7800 is on sale this week but this issue keeps me reluctant to pick one up again.

Just curious does this firmware fix the dhcp issue / wired connection issue?

Probably I am not aware of this issue. Do you mean something like that:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...reless-R7800-Nighthawk-X4S/m-p/1133648#M38322

In general I did not meet any problems with dhcp. But first I do not use stock FW :) and second I use address reservation for all of my wired client (needed for ports forwarding). But my family did not report me problems with their wireless clients...

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

Yesterday 15 hours back i did upgraded to your 30F without the V4 DB. It worked. the QOS still working fine and i can still connect IDLE client to the router gui without breaking the Streamboost.

More over it will hardly work even in the Stock fw.

The traffic stats usually disconnects the net and would have to reboot the router most of the time. I did noticed a change in the usage consumption and then i found the reset counter was by default set to 1st of every month. In my case it was 5th of every month.

It already moved 100 GB traffic for the last month ie actually current month traffic. I went to change the date as 5th and applied. the router gui did turned out to be disconnected for a while and then after few minutes it was back online with the right amount

The 100GB was added to this month quota including the timer and last month was reset back to 0. i dont say it wont happen in stock but hardly works.

I thing yours still stable firmware for now . If possible can you post the 31F without the V4 DB and share. As the other updates are worth it. I dont want to disturb again the working QOS. It is for me V4 is causing all the problems.

Hi Voxel,

Wondering is there any degrade in USB performance after subsequent firmware updates.

I used to get 28MB-30MB/s over wireless ac with 1 wall behind. on Netgear a6200 usb 2.0 adaptor

I was expecting 35-40MB/s over wireless with netgear a6210 usb 3.0 adaptor. As the usb 2.0 is saturated with 480Mbps and no such devices can reach the rated host speed .

If i believe the 2x2 ac band of 867Mbps with a projected loss of 40-50% one should be getting atleast 433+mbps since Usb 3.0 has a host peak speed of 5gbps .

I am not sure why the speed is slow slow. I tried via below

R7800 connect to one of usb 3.0 port with usb 3.0 sandisk extreme flash 32gb drive.

EA7500 connect to r7800 via wired 1gb line . (desktop is connected via a6210 to ea 7500 wirelessly which is on the top of table diagonally 70 inch apart . still lower than 24MB/s

I heard or seen somewhere the 2x2 can reach a practical max of 55MB/s ie 440 Mbps

Hope i get a solution.

You might try the new v47SF version and see if anything has changed:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-46sf.44387/page-3#post-382887

Hi Voxel,

Wondering is there any degrade in USB performance after subsequent firmware updates.

I used to get 28MB-30MB/s over wireless ac with 1 wall behind. on Netgear a6200 usb 2.0 adaptor

I was expecting 35-40MB/s over wireless with netgear a6210 usb 3.0 adaptor. As the usb 2.0 is saturated with 480Mbps and no such devices can reach the rated host speed .

If i believe the 2x2 ac band of 867Mbps with a projected loss of 40-50% one should be getting atleast 433+mbps since Usb 3.0 has a host peak speed of 5gbps .

R7800 connect to one of usb 3.0 port with usb 3.0 sandisk extreme flash 32gb drive.

EA7500 connect to r7800 via wired 1gb line . (desktop is connected via a6210 to ea 7500 wirelessly which is on the top of table diagonally 70 inch apart . still lower than 24MB/s

I heard or seen somewhere the 2x2 can reach a practical max of 55MB/s ie 440 Mbps

Hope i get a solution.

Hi Voxel,

Hope i get a solution.

Well the Intel 9260ac in my Dell Inspiron 7577 can hit 600+ Mbps through 2 walls and 15ft away, but it’s also an internal card with better antenna placement within the laptop’s screen assembly. With smaller USB cards both antennas are right next to each other and also usually not very big which can have a big impact.

If you want better performance you should replace the WiFi card inside the laptop. Dell for example doesn’t void warranty for that and has no white lists. Asus has no white lists either but HP/Lenovo/Acer do from what I have heard which would require a bios mod.

Yeah with my Realtek mu-mimo card 2x2 i can hit 700Mbps peak avg between 600-700 Mbps

For 2x2 867 mbps link its perfect. But the client is in same room being idle scenario.

Wondering can it be pushed any futher. Will a 3x3 client with 1300Mbps with no walls can it hit above 1gbps mark. But the client is on USB 3.0 . I doubt usb 3.0 is limited to only 100MB/s which is not true. But it is due to the HDD sata interface.

An ssd or flash drive can hit 250-350MB/s on same usb 3.0 port. So why not USB 3.0 Wifi adaptor can hit the close 1gb transfer rate . ie 100+MB/s

Thanks for building this firmware...I am still having issues sharing an external drive in Win10...I do have a Gateway showing now...just not a shared network folder. Any ideas? (it's connected via usb ...stupid ReadyShare)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!