What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.31SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well, time to organize hotline for support :) So many posts after my weekend's absence…

bodean, RogerSC, pege63, deweyii: Many thanks for your support.

johnathonm:

I agree with RogerSC. Symptoms like your CTF is disabled. Somehow. I would suggest to do hard reset 30/30/30 and to format overlay partition. See hints from Even Miles here:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/forum/return-stock-wireless-stops-functioning

Regarding SSH keys, maybe this instruction from eliz82 would be helpful:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/comment/40168#comment-40168

if still problems, contact me in P.M. I can create keys for you if you wish.

mr.fabe:

WebGUI look is clarified, right?

Regardig HT160: I am sorry, I do not have such clients to check myself. In general the behavior should be the same as in stock. Maybe guys who has such devices can add some feedbacks.

ulaganath:

Regarding pyload (and use of other Entware-3x programs) you should report your problems to Entware team (zyxmon). There is zyxmon forum:

http://forums.zyxmon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5399

Report in English is OK there. I myself do not use pyload, so rather this should be reported to Entware guys.

You problem with QoS looks for me as a hardware problem of your router. I do not have such problems and cannot even reproduce. qdiscman works in my router already 4 days, no any crash. You had such problems even with stock FW, so maybe it has sense to report your problems with your concrete router to NETGEAR support.

If somebody else uses QoS with my FW, could you please check is it OK/not?

eliz82:

I do not remember exact stock FW number. But it should not be so troublesome for you. You can use either symlinks in /opt (== internal flash) to Entware, such as

Code:
/opt/bin ---> /mnt/sda1/entware/bin
/opt/lib ---> /mnt/sda1/entware/lib
. . .

Etc. See /autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh script in archive, it creates such links:

http://ownweb.eu/Downloads/Entware/entware-cortex-15-3x-initial.tar.gz

Or (hidden feature of my FW): you can disable ReadyCLOUD using nvram command from console

Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram commit

This should disable any future cloud installation. But you have to clean your /opt manually after setting above and reboot. Hint: remove your flash drive before cleaning /opt and removing /opt directory from flash (check /overlay directory too). Otherwise you can erase your Entware installation as I did once….

BTW, were you succeed with MariaDB? Zyxmon did not get any feedbacks.

Well, did not I miss something else? :)

Voxel.

Last edited:
I don't think when I will try MariaDB soon, I'm running low with my free time. I don't want to screw with my blog site unless I know I have enough time to backup before and time to repair if I mess with something.

p.s. I never installed ipk packages from local machine. can I do it something like that ?
Code:
opkg remove mysql-server (to uninstall mysql)
opkg install /tmp/mariadb-server_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk (to install mariadb from local machine)
this will install dependencies like "libmariadb_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk" automatic ? so i need to put them in the same directory?

I
Well, time to organize hotline for support :) So many posts after my weekend's absence…

johnathonm:

I agree with RogerSC. Symptoms like your CTF is disabled. Somehow. I would suggest to do hard reset 30/30/30 and to format overlay partition. See hints from Even Miles here:

mr.fabe:

Regardig HT160: I am sorry, I do not have such clients to check myself. In general the behavior should be the same as in stock. Maybe guys who has such devices can add some feedbacks.

ulaganath:

Regarding pyload (and use of other Entware-3x programs) you should report your problems to Entware team (zyxmon). There is zyxmon forum:

Report in English is OK there. I myself do not use pyload, so rather this should be reported to Entware guys.

You problem with QoS looks for me as a hardware problem of your router. I do not have such problems and cannot even reproduce. qdiscman works in my router already 4 days, no any crash. You had such problems even with stock FW, so maybe it has sense to report your problems with your concrete router to NETGEAR support.

eliz82:

I do not remember exact stock FW number. But it should not be so troublesome for you. You can use either symlinks in /opt (== internal flash) to Entware, such as

Code:
. . .

Etc. See /autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh script in archive, it creates such links:

Or (hidden feature of my FW): you can disable ReadyCLOUD using nvram command from console

Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram commit

This should disable any future cloud installation. But you have to clean your /opt manually after setting above and reboot. Hint: remove your flash drive before cleaning /opt and removing /opt directory from flash (check /overlay directory too). Otherwise you can erase your Entware installation as I did once….

Voxel.

I agree i had issues with Stock firmware but only after the QOS update of v4.0 database. I am now at the v2.0 database and never have any single issue on net disconnection or slowness or crash of QOS. as i even tried the same restart option with your firmware when the QOS is working. But when it is crashesd i cant restart it without rebooting the router.

How the QOS DB upgrade can crash the process or kill it. But even after QOS crash the Internet and router GUI is still working fine. I dont know if the Priority works as intended or saved. As it reset the priority on the whole.

I have to come back to stock for stable QOS. But i still have doubt is that migrating from stock to your without resetting causing the issues.
Also one of the most important reason i have to come back to stock is that once i get the QOS crash on Attached devices while rebooting the WAN LED either disappears or Orange/amber with no access to router and no Internet.

It is one the wiered experience with stock to your firmware migration. I have to reboot it twice or thrice sometime i have to pull the plug from the router for the successfull reboot.

Once booted it is fine for a while till the QOS is crashed. which makes me to reboot again which is tough as i need access to router in hand for successfull boot. WHich is not normal and it was not an issues with stock 2.28 with v2.0 db.

johnathonm:

mr.fabe:

ulaganath:

eliz82:

Code:
. . .

Code:
nvram set nocloud=1
nvram commit

Voxel.

@Voxel and @ulaganath :

I had problems with my QoS when I first flashed the Voxel FW (never used the stock FW, flashed it right after I bought it). I tried lots of reboots (via gui) and reflashing stock firmware and then back again but the QoS seemed to break after a few hours or up to a day. What would happen was that the "+" disappeared from all devices and no programs were listed anymore. Sometimes I also got negative speed values when it was "working".

When the latest Voxel FW came out I did a factory reset using the button on the router and then configured the settings from scratch. It then worked for a couple of days before it broke again but then after another reboot it has stayed on for several days now... I really hope it's ok now.

One thing I noticed, although it could be a coincident, was that when I enabled static routes to block Google DNS it stopped working. Might just have been a coincident I'm not sure, I've tried so many things my head is spinning.

Just wanted to share since it sounds similar to @ulaganath 's problems.

p.s. I never installed ipk packages from local machine. can I do it something like that ?
Code:
opkg remove mysql-server (to uninstall mysql)
opkg install /tmp/mariadb-server_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk (to install mariadb from local machine)
this will install dependencies like "libmariadb_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk" automatic ? so i need to put them in the same directory?

Something like that. The only, enter to your tmp directory and work there, enlisting all needed packages with dependencies, e.g:

Code:
cd /tmp
/opt/bin/opkg remove mysql-server
/opt/bin/opkg remove php7-mod-mysqli (if installed)
/opt/bin/opkg install libmariadb_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk php7-mod-mysqli_7.1.3-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk mariadb-client-extra_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk mariadb-client_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk mariadb-server_5.5.56-1_cortex-a15-3x.ipk

Zyxmon advices to install all these packages.

Voxel.

That was me in a different forum name.

Yeah i can give it a try to reset the router. Do you suggest erase setting or hard reset holding it for 30 seconds.

You mentioned formatting overlay partion. Does that mean no recovery. i have to TFTP your firmware wired?

Also i wanted to know if i can make the pyload to work. As i already have transmission on my NAS. but it was missing with download manager. I need a FTP manager with accounts saved. So everytime i dont need to authenticate. It can also work remotely is added advantage.

I tried many time installing it.

You also mentioned it is hardware issue. What make it hardware issue. How does QOS alone can break the hardware but everything else will work.

i did factory reset and hard reset 3 times. Loaded 31 firmware and didnt restore setting took 30 min to set back all the settings and so far working fine

But it did worked fine without hicups of WAN issue or router gui access issue. except Traffic meter rest all was resetted.

Pyload started to work. But still wiered is one It never prompt me for useranme it skips and go to password directly. Also need to change to NTFS storage for download. Is it possible. As ex3 i partitioned only 6gb of 32gb pen drive.

Today morning again a fresh reset with 31 also crashed QOS again

Why is it happening so much with v4 db.

But this time it didnt failed but it actually was not working as well. Giving restart command actually started it and no error message except auto update disable and it was back. I see + symbol.

I dont what happened as i never rebooted the router from yesterday night.

this is what happened.

I am fine if it needs a refresh once in a while without rebooting the router.

15ohron.jpg

Last edited:
it is now crashing so often. Not sure why? . I had to restart it within an hour of idle router gui page.

Hi Voxel,

Just curious to know is there any way to further optimize the load speed. It is fast even fastest in terms of reboot. Never seen such quick reboot and considerable load speed is also good. But wondering if it can load faster like Advanced tomato.

As it is have faster processor than R7000 and Double ram. Even stock fw of R7000 was dead slow. But Stock of R7800 is ok but yours is good

Today morning again a fresh reset with 31 also crashed QOS again

Why is it happening so much with v4 db.
I have had no crash issues with v4 of the QoS database, and none of the odd GUI issues you had. I think you have just somehow ended up a very corrupt install, you have been swapping back and forward at times maybe without resetting? Also you really don't need a 30/30/30 reset, 20 seconds as a once off is fine. I would pick one firmware you feel happy with maybe not play with it to much and just leave it and don't import any backups. My R7800 works well. Even though your router boots maybe try a TFTP flash. :)

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

it is now crashing so often. Not sure why? . I had to restart it within an hour of idle router gui page.

OK, too many info from you (sometimes contradictory). Let’s collect the facts:

a. Your problems with QoS are NOT related to my custom build. You have the same problems with my custom build, you have the same problems with a stock firmware. Therefore you suppose that problems are exactly in QoS DB released recently (28th of April 2017).
b. You were happy with previous version of QoS and do not feel any problems with it using stock firmware.
c. But you need to use Entware what is impossible with stock firmware, so you want to use my custom build but without latest QoS DB.

Reasons of your problems could be three:

(1) Really problem with latest QoS DB itself.
(2) Some spoiled configuration of your router (nvram, mtd) left after previous versions of firmware installations (e.g. attempts to install DD-WRT).
(3) Pure hardware problem of your router, such as partially damaged internal flash or so.

So I suggest you to find first of all the reason of your problem. The way to do that is: to reset again the router and format overlay partition (to exclude the reason “(2)” above) and then to install my custom build version 1.0.2.30SF (it contains previous version of QoS DB) disabling automatic QoS DB updates.

How to do that: please just follow the instruction:

A. Download my custom build version 1.0.2.30SF to your computer.

B. Unplug your WAN cable to avoid any automatic QoS DB update from Internet.

C. Do 30/30/30 reset:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30

then after reboot format your overlay partition, i.e. enter by telnet to router console and run the command:

Code:
mtd erase overlay_volume

D. Do hard reset of router (hole in the back panel of a router).

E. Flash the previous version of my custom build 1.0.2.30SF to your router using WebGUI if possible or through TFTF. Instruction re: how to use TFTP for flashing is here:

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

F. Configure your router and disable automatic update of QoS DB (WAN port is still disconnected).

G. Connect your WAN cable and continue to use your router with previous version of QoS.

If no problems, then the reason was (1). If still problems then the reason is (3). The reason (2) was excluded in steps “C” and “D” above.

P.S.
Regarding use of pyload and its configuration: as I said, I do not use it. I already pointed you where to report your specific problems with config of Entware program to zyxmon:

Voxel.

Last edited:
okay. Got it i can try it. But QOS DB can crash the GUI i doubt it. Even i did try the hard reset 3-4 times flash blink of router. As sometime when i did hold the reset button except power reset all glow. So in the process of resetting i did 4 time rebooting the router while the power LED blinks 4 times and while releasing the reset key it reboots. I hold it back and it flash blink 4 time and release.

it happened 4 times possible 30+ sec reset procedure.

Except it didnt reset completely even though all my settings were gone i end up getting my usage statics still . The Traffic meter was off but the data was this time correct . I dont know formatting overlay will also erase this stats.

I will give it a try till next time it crashes the QOS. It only crashes when idle client trying to connect again. Which is most wiered part.

I am ok without entware. But i wanted your CPU optimization. Its fast then stock and better in reboot.

I am also hearing a lot about the hank LDE firmware which is stable enough . But will not have any of the gui rich . Just basic features or function for running the router.

Any one tried that. Is that good. They were using Cake qman for QOS optimization.

As long as i have the QOS up and running i hope i am good to go. I only get frustated when it is broken.

Wiered part is more than 2 people reporting it is working fine. May be it is not visible or it takes CPU hit when it was always on and getting refreshed in the browser it is paniced.

okay. Got it i can try it. But QOS DB can crash the GUI i doubt it. Even i did try the hard reset 3-4 times flash blink of router. As sometime when i did hold the reset button except power reset all glow. So in the process of resetting i did 4 time rebooting the router while the power LED blinks 4 times and while releasing the reset key it reboots. I hold it back and it flash blink 4 time and release.

I have had no crashes of GUI with the database at my end at all, in fact QoS has not crashed at all. Maybe stick with the Netgear firmware for a while see how it runs then if all goes well load Voxels firmware, then reset the router just the once for 20 seconds, doing it to many times could well corrupt your firmware. Only then after that reset enter all your settings again manually. I hope it all works out.

The Reason is say QOS crash is that either when i execting the command it was not running and it works fine after the restart command.

or when it was running it start and stop . so it wont be running. Instead restart should do stop and start. You can check my screen shots above posts.

I dont know why i am more frustated with one broken piece . Though the Internet works fine for me. I dont know. I have a 100mbps connections. This is killing my time and sometime makes me think why did i get this router.

I was happy with R7000 for 2 years almost no complaint perfect router. I used to put tomato and switch back to Stock and test new one and usually wont feel it right. So go back to Tomato. It works fine.

But i did even have big discussion will R7000 will die after 2 years which will be complete waste after warranty ends.

So i end up getting this being the closest AC wave 2 completely implemented upto 95% of wave 2 std.

I dont know if this was a mistake.

I should have stick to R7000. I still see people say this was one of the best Hardware after R7000 as R7500 was not that good and had many issues.

Hope i get it to resolve quickly.

Dont know if LDE firmware can fullfill my needs. At time it good to test open source and see if that fixes the issue.

Again QOS Broken. This time even the client was not disconnected. Just idle for 1 hr thats all.

qn03h4.jpg

Is there any cron job i can do to check if streamboost stopped it needs to be started. I do know cron job does a simple scheduled time based task like it can reboot the streamboost once specific interval. But not like a triggering mechanism.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!