What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.31SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Again QOS Broken. This time even the client was not disconnected. Just idle for 1 hr thats all.

Not clear. Did you do all steps according to my instruction

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-31sf.39142/page-4#post-326725

before it fails?

Is there any cron job i can do to check if streamboost stopped it needs to be started. I do know cron job does a simple scheduled time based task like it can reboot the streamboost once specific interval. But not like a triggering mechanism.

Entware contains a package "cron".

Voxel.

I was having the QOS Broken only when the Client accessing the GUI router is offline for hours so the idle timedout and never resumes to load or access router pages without authentication. But this was first time i tried to remotely access the router.

Now it was even the client stay connected it cant keep doing live trafficing for hours and fails.

But i believe i can kick start it but it is again failing. I dont want to do a cron jon on even if the Streamboost is working. It is so weired.

i believe it could be hardware or bad firmware. As i mentioned my traffic data is still there means it is not reset completely.

Do i need to TFTP your firmware when overlay partion is formatted. As you said it will have unchanged firmware files.

I will go home and do a 30/30/30 hard reset and then start from scratch. I always flash via Lan port. Not sure why this QOS is broken.

First Device WAN port and now QOS. Not sure even the another replacement is hardware/firmware error free.

Please follow this instruction:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-31sf.39142/page-4#post-326725

as a whole. Not only 30/30/30 reset. Steps from A. to G. Use TFTP (step E.) only if you fail to access router WebGUI.

Voxel.
Hi Voxel, I still think personally the 30/30/30 is unneeded. It can do more damage than good sometimes and when I tried on the R7800 it gave me a weird logging issue until i reloaded the firmware and just did a standard reset per Netgears instruction. I found this on the forum here about it.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/30-30-30-resets-voodoo-or-real.26534/

Last edited:
Hi Voxel, I still think personally the 30/30/30 is unneeded. It can do more damage than good sometimes and when I tried on the R7800 it gave me a weird logging issue until i reloaded the firmware and just did a standard reset per Netgears instruction. I found this on the forum here about it.

Well, maybe not needed. On the other hand this voodoo forces user to recognize a seriousness of reset process and to concentrate :)

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

The replacement device i got hands on. Just flashed your 31F firmware. So far good the QOS stays alive and i didnt restore backup. Just do from scratch. Will take backup after all done.

I do see LEDE is progressing good. I have it on N900 centria which i am using as switch. Hard time i used to configure sometime it works and most time even after multiple reboot it stays disconnected.

For now the interface hardly consume memory say 25-30MB max. 220+ always free.

60cfe1a70febbf46f95306d6362641751d9f3d6c.PNG

How do i set the package to use HDD that i mounted 160gb instead of root. I know its out of topic and not relevant. But it was same in your firmware. may be different opensource.

de81a67c7bc4a34fcf64e993cc2d8ae803351a3a.PNG

It seems the current hnyman package still gives basic functionality. it is not full featured. All the same package manager allows to install all the packages.

Hi Voxel,

Will take backup after all done.
Dont use backups if possible as that is where trouble can start, with Voxels firmware you don't need to reset after updates but I found its always better to maybe have all your details in a txt document or even just a picture on your phone if need be and do them manually, as back ups can sometimes introduce issues from previous firmware that's had changes. It doesn't take long to put your settings in anyway. Also try to void 30/30/30 it could possibly corrupt your nvram read the link below. Just reset once even from within the GUI is enough now, but if you use the hard reset button once and holding the button in for 20 seconds at most is more than enough. Good luck

Last edited:
yeah it was fresh out of box came with usual 1.0.0.40 . Just flashed it via lan to 31F. So far the QOS is working as supposed to be even idle disconnected clients works by resuming. This is where it used to broke on my previous hardware.

Oh no again the QOS crashed. I dont know why. It was working fine until now. Suddenly all + symbol gone. I am done with this QOS

Like many others I have no QoS issues in stock or Voxel's firmware, at this point you can either call Netgear directly, install LEDE and enable "Piece of Cake" in SQM-QoS or try DD-WRT.

Voxel, I found this article on congestion control thought you might be interested:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1610.03534.pdf

Last edited:
Oh no again the QOS crashed. I dont know why. It was working fine until now. Suddenly all + symbol gone. I am done with this QOS

Just common sense: try to disable QoS update and flash previous version 1.0.2.30SF with previous version of QoS DB.

Regarding LEDE configuration: better to ask somebody else. Maybe on LEDE forum. I do not use LEDE, sorry.

Voxel.

As avtella has mentioned I like many others are having no issues with QoS on Stock or Voxels firmware with the latest database. There is no crashing, and it all works as it should. What browser are you using, what operating system, and is it up to date? Are you using any add blockers etc that could interfere with what you are seeing , and have you scanned your computer for malware etc?

I have turned on QoS and with 11 wireless devices working with QoS enabled on the latest database there is no crashing and my bufferbloat is A down and A up at worse B down and B up.

Maybe information on your OS, browser as I mentioned and where you get these R7800's from would help 1.0.0.40 was the third firmware release I believe and I would have thought newer units being sold now would have a higher firmware version on them by now as that firmware came out early last year, but that's just a hunch. I thought you changed the last one via RMA? (I may be wrong if so sorry) but now you are saying you have got yet another one. If the router was brand new and arrived with non standard firmware normally you would return it to the shop or online retailer for replacement not RMA it. (as I said I may have got this wrong)

I ask all this because I have never seen a brand new Netgear router arrive with non standard firmware. I'm just trying to eliminate other potential issues. So any information you could provide with precise details only would be very helpful. Failing that talk to Netgear support, you have 90 days from new.

Last edited:
I got this as 2nd replacement. I do use adblocker. I have disabled it. Let me see if that can cause the trouble. I am using Firefox browser with ver 53.03 64bit

My initial purchase was bad WAN PORT and ddwrt on arrival. I got it replaced with brand new router. But WAN was working fine but QOS issue only with V4.0 firmware.

I got 2nd replacement yesterday as i flashed the stock firmware with VOxel 31f without any settings. Initially it was working after it seems to be not working.

I dont know . Iam going to now ignore it for now and see if this is really going to bother me. As now the internet connection issues are no longer there i presume. As previous hardware when QOS fails it will cause intermittant wireless clients fail

Hoping for the best.

Last edited:
Make sure HT160 is disabled that can cause wireless drops when Intel 7260ac clients connect. This is something that Intel is working on apparently.

Awesome work @Voxel !

Question about the VPN client. Once an ovpn file has been set up with the appropriate keys, will all traffic by default be routed over the tunnel? Or is that left the to end users to figure out the fire wall rules?

Merlin users the nice policy based routing which has been great for someone like me who is not strong with firewall rules.

Last edited:
This makes no sense to me, sorry, what is it meant to represent? Dymanic QoS monitors what is being used at any time buy device what traffic it is using what type of traffic etc. I thik you are expecting maybe something else but when I am using my TV to watch Netflix it is not using all my bandwidth, it uses what is required by the app for a 4K UHD broadcast for instance and Streamboost QoS priorities latency and bandwidth as needed. I am really confused as to what you are trying to explain I am afraid.

Maybe you should not worry so much and just let it work and see how things perform. Let the QoS define your traffic and devices and software running and don't change anything, mine works fine, an has since the update. Sometimes not playing with settings at leaving things as they are is best :)

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-features/32297-does-qualcomms-streamboost-really-work

No I explain that the traffic monitor have some delay on showing the actual traffic as it refresh once in 3 or 5 secs.

The bandwidth monitor i showed is 90Mbps current traffic at the time i was taking the snaphot.

Even if the QOS monitor lacks by 10 seconds i was waiting for 20 sec to see some progression in the bar. But it was they crashing stage i guess. So not more than 1Mbps its showing instead of 90Mbps.

I dont expect or want the bandwidth to be fully used by one application or dedicate all the bandwidth to one device.

I am not see the live traffic which makes me feel that unless it see the actual traffic of each device how can it determine which device needed the right packets at right time.

It need to see if the bittorrent is consuming 90 percent and a 4k or 1080p video request made by the 2nd and 3rd client that 90% needs to be cut down by considerable amount to ensure the video streaming works without any more buffering than initial.

i hope thats the way the qos works,

I left it way but even a single device buffering i see every now and then. I never have issues with youtube unless its 4k. But now even with 1080p at time i face buffering and i have to keep refreshing the page for it to progress.

I do have 100Mbps fiber line with mostly ping response within 20ms.

Having spent 250 dollars in my country currency. I am felt i made a wrong choice . I thought this hardware is equal to R7000 interms of reliability and flexibility.

Somehow this dynamic QOS making me crazy.

Right QOS v2.0 with DB/

In the above example 2 devices are doing youtube streaming and downloading offline videos.

the wired device is doing 3 FULL HD and 1 4k .

Wireless is doing offline video saving say 300-800MB sized files

Wired device also downloading via FTP 3gb file.

The same when all the video streaming is closed in wired pc.

the traffic consumed by wired pc for video stream got transferred for the wireless device leaving the pc with currently allocated bandwidth for download as note general traffic in the below snapshot

Once the wireless device finished with youtube offline video saving the pc was given full traffic back as possible since no devices demand active traffic.

Last edited:
Awesome work @Voxel !

Question about the VPN client. Once an ovpn file has been set up with the appropriate keys, will all traffic by default be routed over the tunnel? Or is that left the to end users to figure out the fire wall rules?

Merlin users the nice policy based routing which has been great for someone like me who is not strong with firewall rules.

Sorry, but only: "all traffic by default be routed over the tunnel". NETGEAR has own firewall and GUI (prebuilt), and even minimal changes are problematic.

Voxel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!