What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.31SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HIGH_RAM_USAGE.png

Does high ram usage is a problem in future. Its running fine , But with stock till day before yesterday peak usage was 290MB

Not sure what are process running after 30F. But may be this was there even when i flashed 31F and stock with last router.

Also is it possible to do remote SSH or telnet using DDNS or wan ip

Last edited:
Does high ram usage is a problem in future. Its running fine , But with stock till day before yesterday peak usage was 290MB

This debug page displays summarized memory adding cache/buffers to free. It's normal for Linux. See my comments here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-2-23sf-v-1-0-2-24sf.37477/page-4#post-313293

Also you can check more detailed explanation:

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Also is it possible to do remote SSH or telnet using DDNS or wan ip

I strongly do not recommend to use telnet remotely. It is possible to use SSH remotely, e.g. I use it all the time. How to: see my readme.docx (adding ports to firewall for remote access).

Voxel.

Thank you Voxel. I appreciate all your work and support - very much.

I changed to this release from DD-WRT.
My only reason for running DD-WRT was to use the OpenVPN Client.
I have now tried your build with your "OpenVPN Client" solution.
I had no problem at all, and have run speed tests today.
All tests were run many times with 3 different torrent-applications in WIN10. Mostly ubuntu-images were downloaded.
Maximum speed Download results for OpenVPN Client:
DD-WRT build r31980M: 85 Mbits
Voxel v.1.0.2.31SF: 55 Mbits
(Without OpenVPN Client I get about 500 Mbits)
www.speedtest.net gives about the same difference in results, so DD-WRT was (for me) surprisingly faster in these tests.

Thank you Voxel. I appreciate all your work and support - very much.

I changed to this release from DD-WRT.
My only reason for running DD-WRT was to use the OpenVPN Client.
I have now tried your build with your "OpenVPN Client" solution.
I had no problem at all, and have run speed tests today.
All tests were run many times with 3 different torrent-applications in WIN10. Mostly ubuntu-images were downloaded.
Maximum speed Download results for OpenVPN Client:
DD-WRT build r31980M: 85 Mbits
Voxel v.1.0.2.31SF: 55 Mbits
(Without OpenVPN Client I get about 500 Mbits)
www.speedtest.net gives about the same difference in results, so DD-WRT was (for me) surprisingly faster in these tests.
Thanks for you your thanks.

Regarding OpenVPN client: good news that it works :). I was not sure, because I am limited in testing. Practically my tests was 3-4 free OpenVPN service and my own second R7800.

Speed: it is my first release with OpenVPN client. It works, not I'll try to boost it. In next versions.

Could you please pass me your config for investigation as an example? You can cut your CA/CERT/KEY values. Maybe in P.M.

Voxel.

Thanks for you your thanks.
Could you please pass me your config for investigation as an example? You can cut your CA/CERT/KEY values. Maybe in P.M.
Voxel.

Sure, will do as you wish; P.M.

My VPN-provider has a tool where you can generate "the-all-in-one" file.
I just added my login credentials in an auth.txt file.
Your solution is beautiful in it's simplicity!
A few more guide lines in the readme.docx would make it clear how easy t is to get the OpenVPN Client running!
It even survives a button-factory-reset! I tried.

If it's possible to boost, I'm more than happy to try it out.
I use only AES-256-CBC cipher.

It means that my integration of a stock 1.0.2.28 was successful :). Bugs in 1.0.2.28 are integrated too...

Well, IMO you have to report this bug to NETGEAR. I personally do not use this ReadyCLOUD, but some people like this feature.

Workaround is what deweyii suggested, right, or use of OpenVPN, when you can get an access to your local LAN. I prefer OpenVPN with mapping shared disks from my LAN (including attached to router) by samba to remote computer (over OpenVPN). Security.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

I would like to report the 30F i was able to register readyshare no problem. I dont know i was in 30F before when i was reading this post and i tried it didnt worked. Like you i didnt use much the readyshare. I have seperate WD ex2 NAS.

Today 3 hours back i rebooted the router for new cycle to obtain a fresh ip. It was running cool for 3 days. After 3 hours of reboot. I did tried to set the readycloud. It is registered instantly as fresh registeration. I was reflecting instantly on readyshare web portal as welll with all the mounted storage.

Hi Voxel,

I would like to report the 30F i was able to register readyshare no problem. I dont know i was in 30F before when i was reading this post and i tried it didnt worked. Like you i didnt use much the readyshare. I have seperate WD ex2 NAS.

Today 3 hours back i rebooted the router for new cycle to obtain a fresh ip. It was running cool for 3 days. After 3 hours of reboot. I did tried to set the readycloud. It is registered instantly as fresh registeration. I was reflecting instantly on readyshare web portal as welll with all the mounted storage.

Strange. Maybe there were some temporary problems on Netgear cloud server.

Would be good if mr.fabe check it now.

Voxel.

Strange. Maybe there were some temporary problems on Netgear cloud server.

Would be good if mr.fabe check it now.

Voxel.

Yes May be that or if rebooting made sense. either way it is now working and would be better to try it now.

@ Voxel,

I wanted to know is that enabling VPN client will disable server. So one have to remove the certificate / delete which needs reboot.

Is there a way to start or stop the same.

I have VPN unlimited account . I wanted to try the same. Let me know . It just use a account credentials.

@ Voxel,

I wanted to know is that enabling VPN client will disable server. So one have to remove the certificate / delete which needs reboot.

Is there a way to start or stop the same.

I have VPN unlimited account . I wanted to try the same. Let me know . It just use a account credentials.

If VPN server is set in GUI as "ON" then VPN client will not be started. Even if you prepare your USB flash according to my readme.docx.

So to start VPN client you should first disable VPN server in GUI and only then proceed with instructions from readme.docx with USB flash. Reboot is not needed.

Voxel.

There seems to be a bug in the readyshare portal possibly

I have hooked a two 32gb pendrive but it says 180gb of storage coming no where.

jE6i3F
readyshare_bug_or_wrong_report_of_storage.png
wrong_storage_bug.png

There seems to be a bug in the readyshare portal possibly

I have hooked a two 32gb pendrive but it says 180gb of storage coming no where.

It looks like you are looking at the drive size information provided by the Netgear Readycloud app which may have a bug in it.

When you look under Readyshare in the web interface (http://www.routerlogin.net) does it report correctly?

I tried two 16GB usb drives and the web interface reports them correctly. I do not use the Readycloud app so I could not check it.

Voxel,

You've done a fantastic job with this firmware, thanks for your hard work.

I'm trying to open a port from the WAN side to the router for external SSH access. As described in the readme.docx, I've created a Unix text file /etc/netwall.conf with the following contents:

Code:
ACCEPT       net     fw       tcp   31493

Should there be a certain number of spaces or tabs between each part?

I've changed the SSH port to 31493 in /etc/init.d/dropbear and I can connect to this port on the LAN side.

However, I am unable to access this port externally from the WAN side and it still shows as "stealth".

Any tips would be appreciated.

Voxel,

You've done a fantastic job with this firmware, thanks for your hard work.

;)

I'm trying to open a port from the WAN side to the router for external SSH access. As described in the readme.docx, I've created a Unix text file /etc/netwall.conf with the following contents:

Code:

Should there be a certain number of spaces or tabs between each part?

I've changed the SSH port to 31493 in /etc/init.d/dropbear and I can connect to this port on the LAN side.

However, I am unable to access this port externally from the WAN side and it still shows as "stealth".

Any tips would be appreciated.

You know, IMO there should not be specific format. But it is internals of NETGEAR's firewall. I'd suggest you to do the following:

Run the command " net-wall rule" and after this check the file "/tmp/netwall-rules". This file contains current rules. You can use a line from this file (Copy/Paste in your editor) for your /etc/netwall.conf. Just to be sure.

Also, notice: this will not work immediately. Try after this (when you created your /etc/netwall.conf already) to run:

"net-wall restart"

Voxel.

Thanks Voxel.

Run the command " net-wall rule" and after this check the file "/tmp/netwall-rules". This file contains current rules.

Both before and after running "net-wall rule", my "/tmp/netwall-rules" contained the following:

Code:
ACCEPT       net     fw       tcp   31493#Accept Rules Begin:
ACCEPT       net     fw       udp   520,5050
ACCEPT       fw     net       udp   520,5050,53,123,6060,67,68
ACCEPT       fw     net       tcp   119,25,80,2345,3495,7070,20,21,5050,6060
ACCEPT         net       fw            udp     161,162
#Drop Rules Begin:
DROP       net     fw       tcp   7,19,135
DROP       net     loc       tcp   135
DROP       net     fw       udp   7,9,19,137,138,139,445
DROP       net     loc       udp   137,138,139,445
DROP           loc       fw            udp     161,162

Could it be the #Accept Rules Begin: that is causing the issue? I still can't connect from the WAN side.

"net-wall restart"
Thanks for the tip. Originally, I restarted the entire router. This is quicker :)

Thanks Voxel.

Both before and after running "net-wall rule", my "/tmp/netwall-rules" contained the following:

Code:
ACCEPT       net     fw       tcp   31493#Accept Rules Begin:
#Drop Rules Begin:

Could it be the #Accept Rules Begin: that is causing the issue? I still can't connect from the WAN side.

Thanks for the tip. Originally, I restarted the entire router. This is quicker :)

It looks as your file /etc/netwall.conf does not contain LF at the end of line. Just press the key ENTER in your editor moving cursor to the end of line:

Code:
ACCEPT       net     fw       tcp   31493<here you should press the ENTER key>

Voxel.

I.e. your /tmp/netwal-rules after this correction should be:

Code:
#Accept Rules Begin:
#Drop Rules Begin:

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!