What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.31SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sorry i didnt catch up your instructions.

I am stuck. I did formatted the drive to ext3 via pc but forgot to rename .

how do i rename to optware so that it can recogonize for install

the below command failed. but the opt list shows something

2ikprgl.jpg

Check that /mnt/sda1/autorun/scripts/post-mount.sh was installed to your ext3. And reboot router if it is so. Then check again /opt/ there should be symlinks to Entware directories (/opt/bin, /opt/lib etc).

Voxel.

i did that and now swap creationg is saying no space. I am sorry to bother. I might have skipped. Not very ease with this linux skills. But i have used linux for a while.

not sure on this procedure well. trying to learn. In the rebooting process my WAN LED went off and red and off and red . I have to reboot 4 times to bring internet back. Only when i rebooted after extracting the optware package.

xfyp2a.jpg

2ela2gw.jpg

You must study Linux more.

According to you screenshot you created (rather tried to create) swap file in /opt, but /opt is just internal flash memory if ReadyCloud is installed. You should remove this file (/opt/swap) and create it in the root of /mnt/sda1. I.e.

Code:
cd /mnt/sda1
dd if=/dev/zero of=swap bs=1024 count=1048576
mkswap swap
chmod 0600 swap
swapon swap

Then reboot the router. (Probably I have to change my readme.docx, it is for R7500 and for R7800, but R7800 started to use /opt as internal flash).

Yet another problem: you tried to "cd /var/opkg-list/packages". But Entware package list is in /opt/var/opkg-lists"

Code:
cd /opt/var/opkg-lists

Voxel.

after multiple reboots things started working.

But while rebooting i am not get WAN port up it is either red or blank. I have to do 2-3 reboots why is that.

Sometime it reboots automatically

one last request. I have a vpn subscription. If i need to enable how and which package will let me to do that. If this client can connect to server . All the clients connected to router will have access.

i was able to do this in merlin which has open vpn client and just given credentials and keys to do so.

So far from your instruction you have give openvpn private key instead of router registeration. means can i use the same. As the router vpn is different which allows to connect to router/home network . the public vpn to bypass region restriction.

It was breeze once the entware was ssetup. Thanks it was nice work. Just to note i am not sure if i messed up but the WAN port stablity after rebooting is a big challenge for me. Hope it wont reboot inbetween.

I didnt have a single reboot or net disconnect for past 7 days

hoping the same for this firmware after all these packages installed.

Was there any package with web gui which can store data traffic and analyze device by day ,date , week and month with all the meta data. I hope netdata can do i am looking more into it further.

after multiple reboots things started working.

But while rebooting i am not get WAN port up it is either red or blank. I have to do 2-3 reboots why is that.

Sometime it reboots automatically

I am not sure. Did you remove your swap from /opt? If not it means that internal flash memory is over and no space left. So this could be a reason for occasional reboot. Check your space by "df" command. You should check that "/overlay" space is not over.
one last request. I have a vpn subscription. If i need to enable how and which package will let me to do that. If this client can connect to server . All the clients connected to router will have access.

i was able to do this in merlin which has open vpn client and just given credentials and keys to do so.

So far from your instruction you have give openvpn private key instead of router registeration. means can i use the same. As the router vpn is different which allows to connect to router/home network . the public vpn to bypass region restriction.

It was breeze once the entware was ssetup. Thanks it was nice work. Just to note i am not sure if i messed up but the WAN port stablity after rebooting is a big challenge for me. Hope it wont reboot inbetween.

I didnt have a single reboot or net disconnect for past 7 days

hoping the same for this firmware after all these packages installed.

Was there any package with web gui which can store data traffic and analyze device by day ,date , week and month with all the meta data. I hope netdata can do i am looking more into it further.

I do not quite understand you. Your English is a bit alien for me. (Are not you from India? Just interesting...)

Do you need to run OpenVPN client on your R7800? OpenVPN servers are available already long time. And it is possible to use own, not generic CA/CRT/KEY files with OpenVPN server. I.e. you can connect to your router and your LAN being outside from the other place using own CA/CRT/KEY. If you need to connect all your LAN to third party OpenVPN, i.e. to use your R7800 as an OpenVPN client then it should be possible now. Described in my readme.docx. I tested this possibility using 4-5 free OpenVPN servers and my own. But it is necessary to understand how it works.

Regarding your questions about Entware: I do not know ALL Entware packages. Sorry. Even this netdata: I just played with it a bit and that's all. Probably it is what you need. But it is necessary to use it to be in touch.

Voxel.

6xvklg.jpg

here you go for the space status. I dont see any abrupt space use

5a5ezc.jpg

no swap file in the opt directory .

i was trying to install pyload for the download manager. But few packages not available.

nuces.jpg

I did a test installation of pyload:

Code:
opkg install pyload

and then added additional packages it suggests in warning message:

Code:
opkg install python-pyopenssl openssl-util
opkg install duktape pillow tesseract python-crypto unrar unzip

after this I executed:

Code:
pyload --configdir=/opt/var/pyload

answering all as default, using my User/Pass and then I started the daemon:

Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S51pyload start

it works. I could see its GUI in my router IP, port 8000.

Voxel.

Updated (through wifi again I might add) and all taken fine. Might just be dreaming it, but swear my browsing is smoother :p

Did you change some images on the home screen of the web gui?

Thanks as always Voxel.

If I want to change back from dnscrypt to normal dns, how do I delete the /etc/dnscrypt.conf file (from telnet)?

If I want to change back from dnscrypt to normal dns, how do I delete the /etc/dnscrypt.conf file (from telnet)?

Just run in telnet:

Code:
/etc/init.d/dnscrypt-proxy stop
rm -f /etc/dnscrypt.conf

and it will not be started anymore, even after reboot.

Voxel.

Hi Voxel.

its again back my streamboost is failing again in your firmware with v4 database. It was stable for a while but not anymore.

2qtehcg.jpg

Same qdiscman 40 failed.

I never had this issue for 1 week with pumping 300+gb internet traffic and 1+tb internal traffic on the whole. it was on stock but with version 2.0 database. Something is causing this to fail. I can reboot to fix but it will eventually comeback as i used to connect to router with idle disconnected desktop which when try to reach the gui it brokes easily.

Last edited:
Something is wrong with your router:

When you run "/etc/init.d/streamboost restart" it should first stop all daemons and only after that it should start them again. My test, executed right now:

Code:
root@nighthawk:~$ /etc/init.d/streamboost restart
StreamBoost: Restarting
streamboost: StreamBoost: Executing start all
 [  OK  ] 60_ozker stop
 [  OK  ] 52_p0f stop
 [  OK  ] 50_drflocs stop
 [  OK  ] 49_cape stop
 [  OK  ] 45_flowman stop
 [  OK  ] 44_overlord stop
 [  OK  ] 43_flowmark stop
 [  OK  ] 40_qdiscman stop
 [  OK  ] 35_leash stop
 [  OK  ] 34_jigglyp0f stop
 [  OK  ] 33_sbmacouid stop
 [  OK  ] 32_sbnamed stop
 [  OK  ] 31_nodedetectd stop
 [  OK  ] 30_sbnoded stop
 [  OK  ] 25_sea stop
 [  OK  ] 13_prio-reader stop
 [  OK  ] 12_settings-loader stop
 [  OK  ] 11_sbsaved stop
 [  OK  ] 10_policy-reader stop
 [  OK  ] 01_redis stop
streamboost: flushing conntrack
Starting Firewall...
Done!
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?).
ip6tables: No chain/target/match by that name.
ip6tables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?).
killall: poll_set_priority: no process killed
streamboost: StreamBoost: Executing start all
 [  OK  ] 01_redis start
 [  OK  ] 10_policy-reader start
 [  OK  ] 11_sbsaved start
 [  OK  ] 12_settings-loader start
 [  OK  ] 13_prio-reader start
 [  OK  ] 25_sea start
 [  OK  ] 30_sbnoded start
 [  OK  ] 31_nodedetectd start
 [  OK  ] 32_sbnamed start
 [  OK  ] 33_sbmacouid start
 [  OK  ] 34_jigglyp0f start
 [  OK  ] 35_leash start
 [  OK  ] 40_qdiscman start
 [  OK  ] 43_flowmark start
 [  OK  ] 44_overlord start
 [  OK  ] 45_flowman start
 [  OK  ] 49_cape start
 [  OK  ] 50_drflocs start
 [  OK  ] 52_p0f start
 [  OK  ] 60_ozker start
Starting Firewall...
Done!
streamboost: streamboost update
Downloading https://updates.r7800.netgear.streamboost.yeti.bigfootnetworks.com/banana/packages-2/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/streamboost.
streamboost: [  OK  ] Everything is up-to-date.

In your case it tries to start all but did not tries to stop first. IMO you have to check that you did not change somehow your streamboost configs/scripts/etc. Check your "/overlay" directory. It contains all changed files in your router. Compare with "/rom" directory. The last keeps original files from firmware, w/o changes.

As you can see: nothing is bad in my router. It stops streamboost daemons and then it starts streamboost daemons.

Voxel.

And qdiscman was started after this restart:

Code:
root@nighthawk:~$ ps | grep qdiscman
11321 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/qdiscman --daemon --run-dir=/var/run/appflow --pid-file=/var/run/appflow/qdiscman.pid --redis-port=6379 --redis-stat-prefix=flowdb:flows: --ifname-up=brwan --ifname-down=br0 --nss
12000 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep qdiscman
root@nighthawk:~$

Voxel.

Hi Voxel,

I hope you are well. First, I have a question. I did the speedtest on DDWRT vs. on your firmware, on DDWRT I scored about 986 Mbps and 800 something upload, on your firmware I am getting 580 something down and 250 or so up. I am hardwired using cat 7 to the router, so I can't chalk it up to interference. Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

Secondly, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to remove a limitation in place by the Netgear firmware. At the present time they have a really dumb limitation in place where you can only block 20 "services". Is this something you could remove so we can block as many ports and/or services as we want.

I also did my best and followed your instructions but cannot for the life of me get into my router via SSH. I have a 128 MB flash drive fomated ext4 but I still am very unclear on how I am supposed to generate the keys to actually get into the system. Your read me seems to indicate that I need to log into the router to generate the keys, but since you don't have the keys, you can't log into the router.

I might have a case of the stupid but I am lost.

If anyone can help me with the keys, that would be great and as a piece of constructive feedback (I do know how to use unix pretty well...not an expert but I can work it), it might be helpful to have a step by step set of instructions like you do for the swap file.

If I can help write any of this or even help revise the readme, I'd be glad to assist. It might even make sense to put together a wiki at this point too, since your firmware is evolving very fast. A wiki with clear guides could definitely accelerate adoption by more users and give novices the guidance to upgrade to your firmware as well as to use it to the full extent.

Just let me know and I thank you or anyone here for their assistance.

J

Hi Voxel,

I hope you are well. First, I have a question. I did the speedtest on DDWRT vs. on your firmware, on DDWRT I scored about 986 Mbps and 800 something upload, on your firmware I am getting 580 something down and 250 or so up. I am hardwired using cat 7 to the router, so I can't chalk it up to interference. Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

J

Are you running factory default settings?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!