What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.62SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Im currently on V1.0.2.59SF. Looking to upgrade to 62. Any recommendations before I do besides "have your own backup keeping for example /root/.ssh /root/.profile with PATH settings etc." and maybe some other misc config files not stored on external usb?

I currently have SSH access to it (That was fun settings up and getting working). Will I need to re-setup ssh access to it after update? I plan on backing up keys.

Thanks, ~SOL

Hi Voxel! Would it work to flash this FW to a XR500 (I figured it might be possible as the XR500 FW works on the R7800)? I got one as a present but would prefer your FW over the stock.
If so, any special steps I would need to take?

3rd party FW isn't supported on the XR series routers. Nor is the XR FW officially supported on the NG R series routers.

Hi Voxel! Would it work to flash this FW to a XR500 (I figured it might be possible as the XR500 FW works on the R7800)? I got one as a present but would prefer your FW over the stock.

Does anyone know what transmissionbt.com is in relation to the R7800? I noticed it for the first time today from DNS logs right after a reboot. Perhaps it is related to firmware update via torrents? I have blocked it's resolution in DNS for the time being.

Well official support or not does not really cause me much concern. Tomato runs fine on my r7000 without support ;)

3rd party FW isn't supported on the XR series routers. Nor is the XR FW officially supported on the NG R series routers.

Well official support or not does not really cause me much concern. Tomato runs fine on my r7000 without support ;)
No support means you won't get any help to install Voxel's FW on the XR500. Asking the question is asking for support.

Back to dropped one device in Attached Devices. I’ve dropped the Netgear smart switch.

1. It works. The smart switch functions perfectly. Gets IP from router’s DHCP server.
2. Devices attached to it show up in Attached Devices.

The router does not know it exists. Even though getting IP address from DHCP server the Netgear switch is not listed in LAN devices for having an IP. The smart switch is not listed in Access Control listing either. (Makes sense given it doesn’t exist for the most part in the router that its not listed).

The TP Link smart switches that for the most part look to have the same firmware/OS as the Netgear’s work fine.

Thought I had it addressed by configuring VLAN settings in the smart switch but did not.

Why would a device get an IP from the DHCP server but at the same time the router does not know it exists? It has to exist to get the IP address......

We’re working right now and I can’t be fooling around with the router nor the switch.

What is the model # of this Smart Switch?

Try a non managed, non smart switch. Just a general 1G switch with out any features.

I have a D-Link DGS-1100 behind mine and it shows up correctly on my NG routers.

Back to dropped one device in Attached Devices. I’ve dropped the Netgear smart switch.

1. It works. The smart switch functions perfectly. Gets IP from router’s DHCP server.
2. Devices attached to it show up in Attached Devices.

The router does not know it exists. Even though getting IP address from DHCP server the Netgear switch is not listed in LAN devices for having an IP. The smart switch is not listed in Access Control listing either. (Makes sense given it doesn’t exist for the most part in the router that its not listed).

The TP Link smart switches that for the most part look to have the same firmware/OS as the Netgear’s work fine.

Thought I had it addressed by configuring VLAN settings in the smart switch but did not.

Why would a device get an IP from the DHCP server but at the same time the router does not know it exists? It has to exist to get the IP address......

We’re working right now and I can’t be fooling around with the router nor the switch.

Netgear Prosafe GSS108E. Its a smart switch.

Used to show up in the router. Don’t know if it’s something with the new FW for the R7800 or the switch.

Need smart for work at home setting.

TP link ones as noted work as expected and the Netgear did. I need to roll back the FW for the R7800. It is totally invisible to the router BUT it gets and IP from DHCP?

Have you tired latest stock to confirm it's not working there as well. If it's not, you might try a full factory reset and see. If this doesn't bring it back in current code, I would post about this over on the NG forum as well.

Netgear Prosafe GSS108E. Its a smart switch.

Used to show up in the router. Don’t know if it’s something with the new FW for the R7800 or the switch.

Need smart for work at home setting.

TP link ones as noted work as expected and the Netgear did. I need to roll back the FW for the R7800. It is totally invisible to the router BUT it gets and IP from DHCP?

Maybe however the XR FW is not available for the R7800.

I believe NG is keeping that officially for the XR model routers only. Time will tell if Voxel does anything for the XR Series or not.

e

This is not try coz DDWRT BS build was already released for XR500

Have you tired latest stock to confirm

Work on that now. Done with work........

Some one thinks because DDWRT can be crammed into a router that means Voxel should suppport it too?

Edit: Went all the way back to stock .40. My switch shows in attached devices, DHCP coughing up an IP address in LAN Advanced setup and it populates for Access Control. In other words the router knows its there.

I loaded .40, booted the switch, showed up.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Going to latest "stock" FW now. Well in a moment.... :)

Edit: Not going to keep messing with it. The switch and devices attached work as expected. This seems to me to be a problem with the current FW's and a display problem. Not a fundamental functioning problem.

.40 stock works. .52 does not. .60 does not. Voxel's latest also do not. Some dots are not connecting for this particular smart switch. Could be the switch too but again its working just fine. I am not qualified to identify nor address it.

Last edited:
To get it working you can install my add-on:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...800-x4s-and-r9000-x10-temperatures-a-o.49907/

Or run this command from the router prompt:
Code:
while true; do I=$(ip route|awk '/br0/&&/src/ {print $NF}'|awk -F"." '{for(i=1;i<=3;i++) printf $i"."; print ""}');for ip in $(seq 254);do $(ping -c1 $I$ip>/dev/null 2>/dev/null&); usleep 40000; done; sleep 600; done &

Edit: Not going to keep messing with it. The switch and devices attached work as expected. This seems to me to be a problem with the current FW's and a display problem. Not a fundamental functioning problem.
.40 stock works. .52 does not. .60 does not. Voxel's latest also do not. Some dots are not connecting for this particular smart switch. Could be the switch too but again its working just fine. I am not qualified to identify nor address it.

Or run this command

Thanks. Will try in just a bit.

What is it telling the router to do?

Edit: Displays now in Voxel's .62...... :)

And its listed in the DHCP Lan devices which was the main issue. Not displaying in attached devices was just a symptom. The switch can't be dropping its IP config being its work related and then losing connectivity. Was one step from hard coding IP/DNS/etc. Wasn't dropping but was worried it might given it disappeared. If that makes sense.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    132 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!