What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.62SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Try setting manual channels on 5Ghz and single mode AC on 5Ghz and see if the connection rates stop bouncing.

I played with it a bit last night. Even with line of sight at max data rate the transfer speeds seemed pretty inconsistent compared to 80 MHz.

How do you go about setting single mode AC at 5Ghz? I only see the dropdown box to set 1733Mbps. Will try changing to different channels manually. Had read that 160 Mhz only works at the lower channels for some reason.

I'm really not sweating sticking to 80 Mhz, though, as I'm coming from an Intel 3165 card that maxed at 433 Mbps...hah. 80 Mhz seems solid with the Intel 9260 for me on the R7800, even at a decent range. Should have swapped a long time ago.

Hey voxel,

great piece of software thanks a lot for that!
I would like to include samba4.9 in my setup to use it for Time Machine backups.
Can I "just" install samba4.9 from entware or do I have to deinstall the samba that is included in your firmware as well?
Any help is highly appreciated! :)

Hey voxel,

great piece of software thanks a lot for that!
I would like to include samba4.9 in my setup to use it for Time Machine backups.
Can I "just" install samba4.9 from entware or do I have to deinstall the samba that is included in your firmware as well?
Any help is highly appreciated! :)

Rather not deinstall, but disable in GUI. And you can try to setup Entware version. I know some people are doing so.

Voxel.

Hi still getting cable connection disconnected once a week, wifi works, could this be MTU issue? Using cat6 cables, gs305, desktop, TV, PS4, Synology Nas. UPC modem 500/30, r7800 w 62sf, r7000 did not have that issue.

Has a factory reset and set up from scratch been performed yet?
If modem is cable modem, MTU should be at 1500. You might check with your ISP on MTU values needed for there system.

Hi still getting cable connection disconnected once a week, wifi works, could this be MTU issue? Using cat6 cables, gs305, desktop, TV, PS4, Synology Nas. UPC modem 500/30, r7800 w 62sf, r7000 did not have that issue.

Rather not deinstall, but disable in GUI. And you can try to setup Entware version. I know some people are doing so.

Voxel.
Hi Voxel,

I have a R7800 running your latest firmware V1.0.2.62SF.

Where does one enable smb in the R7800 GUI?

Can the R7800 be the master browser?

Background: I have a Win 10 pro desktop. I have smb 1.0 enabled to allow my Oppo 103 & 203 to stream from the music folder on the desktop. A WHS v1 provides the master browser. If it ever becomes necessary, I would like for the R7800 to provide the master browser. My retired Asus RT-N66U offered master browser support although I never needed to use it.

Has a factory reset and set up from scratch been performed yet?
If modem is cable modem, MTU should be at 1500. You might check with your ISP on MTU values needed for there system.
Yes all setup. Did test for MTU as well, happens like once a week.

IPv6 disabled on the router?

Might check the logs on the R7800 when you see this to see what it reports. Post it if possible.
Yes all setup. Did test for MTU as well, happens like once a week.

If I update to new Netgear firmware while waiting for next Voxel update do I lose any changes I made via telnet entries like 11k?

Edit: it's a 7800 if relevant.

Last edited:
Continuation of
. . .
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-r7800-v-1-0-2-61sf.49358/

New version of my custom firmware build: 1.0.2.62SF.

Changes (vs 1.0.2.61SF):

1. OpenSSL package is upgraded 1.0.2p->1.0.2q.
2. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 (2.0.19) is included into firmware:
to enable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=1
nvram commit
and reboot your router;
to disable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=0
nvram commit
and reboot your router.​
3. ipset package and its dependences are added into firmware.
4. unbound package (used in stubby) is upgraded 1.8.1->1.8.3.
5. wget package is upgraded 1.19.5->1.20.
6. util-linux package is upgraded 2.32.1->2.33.
7. haveged package is upgraded 1.9.2->1.9.4.
8. ethtool package is upgaded 4.18->4.19.
9. libjpeg package is upgraded 9a->9c.
10. curl package is upgraded 7.61.1->7.62.0.
11. libgcrypt package is upgraded 1.8.3->1.8.4.
12. libubox package is upgraded 2018-07-25->2018-11-16.
13. sqlite package is upgraded 3240000->3250300.
14. jq package is upgraded 1.5->1.6.

The link is:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com (thanks to vladlenas for his help with hosting).

NOTES:

1. stubby (DNS-Over-TLS) is already included into firmware. To enable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=1
nvram commit
and reboot your router; to disable stubby run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set stubby=0
nvram commit
and reboot your router. Currently it is configured to use Cloudflare servers (DoT). You may customize your config file:

/etc/stubby/stubby.yml

2. DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 is already included into firmware. To enable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=1
nvram commit
and reboot your router;
to disable DNSCrypt Proxy v.2 run the commands from telnet/ssh console:
nvram set dnscrypt2=0
nvram commit
and reboot your router. Currently is is configured to use Cloudflare, ipredator, scaleway-fr, dnscrypt.eu-nl, dnscrypt.eu-dk. You may customize your config file /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml to add/remove your selected servers.

3. If both (stubby and DNSCrypt Proxy v.2) are enabled, stubby has highest priority (it will shutdown all dnscrypt (v1 and v2)). DNSCrypt Proxy v1 if still used has lowest priority.

Voxel.
Hi Voxel,
I am using the latest firmware for R7800 X4S from your site and has enabled stubby by using the guide. I have to use either dnscrypt or stubby since my ISP is using transparent DNS proxy. I want to use opendns resolver instead of the cloudflare DNS. But by default stubby uses cloudflare DNS.

Can you please provide the command to change the DNS resolver from cloudflare to opendns in Stubby? I don't wanna use any other resolver as Opendns gives me the best pings.
Kindly help.

I hope to release new version during this week. 3-4 days. Testing now. Too many changes, hard release.

Voxel.

I know you have a lot to do but would it be possible to compile stubby with OpenSSL 1.1.1 to get TLS 1.3 support? :)

Hi Voxel,
I am using the latest firmware for R7800 X4S from your site and has enabled stubby by using the guide. I have to use either dnscrypt or stubby since my ISP is using transparent DNS proxy. I want to use opendns resolver instead of the cloudflare DNS. But by default stubby uses cloudflare DNS.

Can you please provide the command to change the DNS resolver from cloudflare to opendns in Stubby? I don't wanna use any other resolver as Opendns gives me the best pings.
Kindly help.

I'm pretty sure OpenDNS doesn't support DoT...

I'm pretty sure OpenDNS doesn't support DoT...
Ok, then can anybody please tell me how can I route all my traffic through opendns using dnscrypt. I can enable dnscrypt but by default it uses cloudflare DNS resolver. I only intend to use only opendns. Is there any specific command to do it?
@Voxel kindly help

Ok, then can anybody please tell me how can I route all my traffic through opendns using dnscrypt. I can enable dnscrypt but by default it uses cloudflare DNS resolver. I only intend to use only opendns. Is there any specific command to do it?
@Voxel kindly help

I am not sure: the only reason is low latency to OpenDNS?

There are Cisco servers in DNSCrypt public servers:

https://dnscrypt.info/public-servers/

as it is written there:

Cisco OpenDNS IPv6 sandbox Warning: modifies your queries to include a copy of your network address when forwarding them to a selection of companies and organizations

You may try to play with this and DNSCrypt. Just disable stubby if enabled and enable dnscrypt (see the very first post in this thread re: how to).
Then you have to modify (edit) the file /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml replacing default with cloudflare (ant the rest) by Cisco, names are in link above.

Find the line in /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml:
Code:
. . .
server_names = [...]
. . .

and play with it changing to Cisco.

P.S.
I did not test Cisco and cannot check now, before release of new FW version, sorry.

Voxel.

I am not sure: the only reason is low latency to OpenDNS?

There are Cisco servers in DNSCrypt public servers:

https://dnscrypt.info/public-servers/

as it is written there:

Cisco OpenDNS IPv6 sandbox Warning: modifies your queries to include a copy of your network address when forwarding them to a selection of companies and organizations

You may try to play with this and DNSCrypt. Just disable stubby if enabled and enable dnscrypt (see the very first post in this thread re: how to).
Then you have to modify (edit) the file /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml replacing default with cloudflare (ant the rest) by Cisco, names are in link above.

Find the line in /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml:
Code:
. . .
server_names = [...]
. . .

and play with it changing to Cisco.

P.S.
I did not test Cisco and cannot check now, before release of new FW version, sorry.

Voxel.
Thanks for your prompt reply. I will try it tomorrow.

I know you have a lot to do but would it be possible to compile stubby with OpenSSL 1.1.1 to get TLS 1.3 support? :)
It requires not only stubby recompilation, but inclusion of OpenSSL 1.1.1 into firmware. There are two ways: replacement of OpenSSL 1.0.2 (this could influence to many other packages including such as ReadySHARE, what I do not control, and it may destroy it). Or additional library. I am not sure. Anyway, it requires investigation. So I am not ready to confirm or not right now.

Voxel.

It requires not only stubby recompilation, but inclusion of OpenSSL 1.1.1 into firmware. There are two ways: replacement of OpenSSL 1.0.2 (this could influence to many other packages including such as ReadySHARE, what I do not control, and it may destroy it). Or additional library. I am not sure. Anyway, it requires investigation. So I am not ready to confirm or not right now.

Voxel.

Thanks, I am not a coder so I don't know a lot about the subject but the people over at the Asus forum managed to compile it with a statically linked openssl 1.1.1.1 or something like that. I just thought it might be possible... :)

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/stubby-installer-asuswrt-merlin.49469/

I recently upgraded my R7800 running DD WRT Kong's build to Voxel's latest build. The download and upload speed has increased by 10% - 15% but the stability of 5GHZ band has decreased. I am experiencing frequent wifi disconnection at 15 feets from the router. Moreover, every now and then the device gets disconnected and wifi disappears. This happens only with 5GHZ band. I have tried resetting the router too but the issue isn't fixed. Same is the case with default Netgear FW.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!