What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.62SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So the information in the router is expiring and not being renewed? It isn't there to display anymore but its still present in the switch so the switch works?

If so when I boot the switch, which I of course did a bazillion times, seems like it would come back. Did not.

Just when it seems like I figured something out, it'd disappear again. The switch, all of the switches, are set to have static IP via DHCP. They can't be changing IP information due to VOIP devices, work network drive access, etc. But that wasn't it either in the long term.

Came down to the switch is not sending whatever needs to be sent to the router to keep the switch's information "live" or it was and the router was ignoring it for whatever reason.

Or both guess.

Just odd that its the Netgear switch acting up and not the cheaper TP Links. Need the Netgear because of its built in USB charging/power ports.

Edit: Can't remember which now but either Tomato's or Merlin's, someone's, had a box to check for ARP stuff. Can see the box but not the firmware in my dusty brain.

Edit: It has disappeared again which if I understood correctly one would expect it to?

Last edited:
The "sleep 600" in the command is the time (600 seconds) between updating the "ARP table".
You can try with a shorter interval, like e.g. "sleep 300" instead.
Also the command has to be re-issued after every router reboot.

Edit: It has disappeared again which if I understood correctly one would expect it to?

command has to be re-issued after every router reboot.

Yes, figured that out. If the router issues the command to update the ARP table but whatever its asking for from the client, if the client doesn't respond then it won't work yes?

It looks to me from my relatively uninformed position this is also a problem with the switch's firmware.

After the elapsed time when it was supposed to refresh still didn't see the switch. Again assuming I'm understanding there'd be a point at which the switch would reappear when the ARP cache is flushed and updated.

It never comes back once gone.

I've gone ahead and hard coded IP's, gateways, DNS, etc. in the switches. While I didn't have any problems with having them set to DHCP, I want to avoid any.

Edit: Thanks for your help. Doesn't seem to be related in particular to .62 FW so I'll back out of the thread.

Last edited:
I have a Netgear R7800 running Voxel's latest firmware.

I ran two different port scanners from my smart phone. Both port scanners report that ports 80 and 443 are open. (Shields Up reports all ports are in stealth mode which is always a good thing). I have no ports forwarded, uPnP is disabled, and remote administration is disabled. Why are ports 80 and 443 open?

I have a Netgear R7800 running Voxel's latest firmware.

I ran two different port scanners from my smart phone. Both port scanners report that ports 80 and 443 are open. (Shields Up reports all ports are in stealth mode which is always a good thing). I have no ports forwarded, uPnP is disabled, and remote administration is disabled. Why are ports 80 and 443 open?

Was your smart phone connected to Wifi when you did the scan from your smart phone? Sounds like it may have been. Or you do have ports forwarded somewhere.

~SOL

Was your smart phone connected to Wifi when you did the scan from your smart phone? Sounds like it may have been. Or you do have ports forwarded somewhere.

~SOL
Yes, my smart phone was connected to the R7800's 5GHz radio.

All my internet devices (Win 10 computer, WHS computer, Tivo dvr's, Denon avr, Oppo BD players, FTV Sticks, Canon printer, Samsung smart phones, and my Obi200 voip device) are connected to the R7800.

The R7800 port forwarding page shows no forwarded ports.

Yes, my smart phone was connected to the R7800's 5GHz radio.

All my internet devices (Win 10 computer, WHS computer, Tivo dvr's, Denon avr, Oppo BD players, FTV Sticks, Canon printer, Samsung smart phones, and my Obi200 voip device) are connected to the R7800.

The R7800 port forwarding page shows no forwarded ports.

If you use an external (internet) port scanner such as sheildsup ect.. it will check your routers port forwarding status from the outside of your network. If you have no port forwarding setup then all ports should show closed or stealth etc..

If you use a port scanner from your phone while connected to the routers wifi then you are checking from the inside of your network which will show most all of the routers ports that are open (not the same as forwarded ports) such as the admin webpage (port 80 or 443) etc.. in most all cases this is normal and expected/by design. As long as ShelsUp shows stealth then your router is good as it relates to open ports.

~SOL

Isn't port 80 supposed to be open? Isn't that the WAN/Web? Sorta the same with 443.

They are both open by default yes?

Port 80 and 443 should only be open on LAN side (which is the router admin web interface) unless you are running a web server behind your router. Or if you run a local/LAN port scanner from behind the router.

If you use an external (internet) port scanner such as sheildsup ect.. it will check your routers port forwarding status from the outside of your network. If you have no port forwarding setup then all ports should show closed or stealth etc..

If you use a port scanner from your phone while connected to the routers wifi then you are checking from the inside of your network which will show most all of the routers ports that are open (not the same as forwarded ports) such as the admin webpage (port 80 or 443) etc.. in most all cases this is normal and expected/by design. As long as ShelsUp shows stealth then your router is good as it relates to open ports.

~SOL
Makes sense.

In fact, using Fing's open port scanner tool, if I use www.google.com as the target, it reports 80 and 443 open. If I use 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare dns) as the target, Fing reports 52, 80, and 443 are open.

If I use my own WAN dhcp assigned ip address as the target, Fing reports 22 (ssh), 53 (dns), 631 (internet printing protocol) , 3333 (DEC Notes), 9100 (HP JetDirect card), 9101 (HP JetDirect card), 9102 (HP JetDirect card), 9103 (HP JetDirect card), 9104 (HP JetDirect card), 9105 (HP JetDirect card), 9106 (HP JetDirect card), 9107 (HP JetDirect card), and 20005 (btx xcept4 - interacts with German Tel...) are open. The port descriptions in paren are from Fing.

In the case of my own WAN ip address, I have no idea why it reports most of these ports open since I know DEC went out of biz years ago, I don't own an HP printer, I have no interaction with German Tel... However, if I go to wikipedia and check the port descriptions which are different from Fing's description, some make sense. For example, it appears that ObiTalk uses port 20005.

Anyhow, Steve Gibson's Shields Up which I always run after I make any changes to my router reports all tested ports are stealth.

So I'm not sure what value these port scanner tools offer that scan from the LAN side.

Finally, thank you.

So I'm not sure what value these port scanner tools offer that scan from the LAN side.

Finally, thank you.

LAN side port scanning is great for troubleshooting if a service is or is not listening/open on a tcp/udp port. In my case I have lots of ports are open/listening for connections but only a few of them are open on the WAN side (port forwarded). If I run into an issue where WAN side cannot connect, I can use tools like ShieldsUp and Smartphone Port scanners to help troubleshoot. LAN Ports Scanners are great for troubleshooting.

~SOL

Last edited:
Port 80 and 443 should only be open on LAN side (which is the router admin web interface) unless you are running a web server behind your router. Or if you run a local/LAN port scanner from behind the router.
It is really so. 80 and 443 are used by router's WebGUI. 22 is used by dropbear (ssh). All this is inside LAN.

Voxel.

I have 2 occurrences of cable connection for ps4 going dead, restarting ps4 did not help, only restarting router. Any ideas?

I would let NG support know about this. If it's working in older version and not in newer, something has changed in later version of FW and NG would have to fix it. This would populate to Voxels FW.

Going to latest "stock" FW now. Well in a moment.... :)

Edit: Not going to keep messing with it. The switch and devices attached work as expected. This seems to me to be a problem with the current FW's and a display problem. Not a fundamental functioning problem.

.40 stock works. .52 does not. .60 does not. Voxel's latest also do not. Some dots are not connecting for this particular smart switch. Could be the switch too but again its working just fine. I am not qualified to identify nor address it.

"I would let NG support know"

I would report both the switch and the router given I'm not exactly sure which it is IF I thought it'd make a difference. My personal opinion is it would be a waste of my time.

Good Luck then.

Good luck about what?

Working as desired with the easily loadable add on and did so with just the command line about ARP.

Hi - I've just switched over to Voxel firmware and it seems great so far as an AP.
But how do I subscribe to notifications of firmware updates/threads as there doesn't seem to be a master firmware thread, just individual ones? I really don't want to sub to the entire sub forum.

He posts new posts in this thread each time he releases, so you'll have to keep an eye out in the forums or check his web site where he posts there first.

Hi - I've just switched over to Voxel firmware and it seems great so far as an AP.
But how do I subscribe to notifications of firmware updates/threads as there doesn't seem to be a master firmware thread, just individual ones? I really don't want to sub to the entire sub forum.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!