What's new

Voxel Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.62SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well I just checked and the old firmware threads didn't have any posts at the end indicating any new firmware/thread, hence my asking.

First off, thank you for your work on this build. I've been running LEDE on my R7800 for almost a year going between the master & hnyman's builds but have been a bit disappointed with performance (particularly with 2.4GHz) and was hoping stock firmware might help (but was afraid of losing third party packages) - your firmware addresses both needs.

I am wondering if there's any way to enable WDS master mode in your firmware? I understand that Netgear removed that capability from its firmware a while back, but I'm curious if it's something I can enable from the CLI. I unfortunately need a wireless bridge and have had issues in the past when not running in 4addr mode.

He makes new posts for each of his new releases so you'll just have to keep an eye out on the main NG AC Wireless forum for new posts.
You can keep an eye out here as well:
https://www.voxel-firmware.com

Well I just checked and the old firmware threads didn't have any posts at the end indicating any new firmware/thread, hence my asking.

I am wondering if there's any way to enable WDS master mode in your firmware? I understand that Netgear removed that capability from its firmware a while back, but I'm curious if it's something I can enable from the CLI. I unfortunately need a wireless bridge and have had issues in the past when not running in 4addr mode.

I am sorry. I am not ready to answer right now. Did not test WDS long time. Some investigation is needed to answer.

Voxel.

I am sorry. I am not ready to answer right now. Did not test WDS long time. Some investigation is needed to answer.

Voxel.

No worries Voxel, I really appreciate you responding.

I cloned your repo and did some digging over the weekend and found many references to WDS/4addr in the source so I strongly suspect support is there but not exposed via the web interface. I tried to enable it a few ways, but couldn't get it working and unfortunately this is my family's primary router so my troubleshooting time has been limited to not disrupt everyone from using it. I unfortunately have several devices in my home office behind a wireless bridge & 8 port switch so 4addr is essential for me or the arp table breaks after a couple days (all the IPs behind the bridge have the same MAC). I'll play with it a bit more, but may need to jump back to LEDE/OpenWRT.

On a side note, any chance we can get either the NFS kernel module and/or rpcbind packaged? I was trying to get unfsd to work, but I think I need rpcbind to be successful.

Running latest .62 Voxel Firmware. Running into an extremely odd issue (not sure if It's voxel related or not as I haven't ran stock in a long time).

My Canon Laser Multi-Function AIO sometimes loses connection to the R7800's 2.4G network and doesn't see it anymore and it's right next to it. The printer sees every other 2.4 network around. Even rebooting/power draining the printer doesn't help. Then sometimes it will randomly see it again. I've since hard wired it, but hate wasting a LAN port for a stupid printer.

No problems with any other devices that need to use 2.4 on my R7800's network.

I've since gotten an EX6200 extender for a back yard camera. Ended up connecting the printer to the extender wirelessly and have not ran into any problems with the EX6200.

I've tried changing wireless channel on my R7800 thinking that may be the problem, but it wasn't.

Any guesses? The last thing I was going to try is disabling 802.11k in the debug screen. Not even sure if that would help, and at this point my workaround is successful regardless.

Overall, I'm just mind boggled I suppose...

Hi,

Just realised I had been posting in the wrong thread so thought I’d post again here.

I’ve been having horrible problems with WiFi and gaming stability on the latest Netgear FW and decided to downgrade to the official .52 version.

I am going to try that but on standard tests I am seeing horrific upload bufferbloat.

So, with that in mind, how does Voxel's compare to normal firmwares in terms of normal operation? Does this firmware speed anything up (i.e QoS/bufferbloat etc), or just add features/fix bugs?

I also wanted to ask if it's worth me enabling QoS. I have 53Mb/10Mb but have found that the Netgear QoS doesn't really do anything to improve the connection. Would I notice better performance using Voxel's firmware and enabling QoS?

I'm talking mainly from a gaming/latency standpoint.

Thanks!

Running latest .62 Voxel Firmware. Running into an extremely odd issue (not sure if It's voxel related or not as I haven't ran stock in a long time).

My Canon Laser Multi-Function AIO sometimes loses connection to the R7800's 2.4G network and doesn't see it anymore and it's right next to it. The printer sees every other 2.4 network around. Even rebooting/power draining the printer doesn't help. Then sometimes it will randomly see it again. I've since hard wired it, but hate wasting a LAN port for a stupid printer.

[snip]

I had a similar issue with my Dell wireless laser - the "fix" was to switch the 2.4GHz mode from 800 to 347Mbps.
See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...-between-Mode-347-and-800/m-p/1683143#M113972

No worries Voxel, I really appreciate you responding.

I cloned your repo and did some digging over the weekend and found many references to WDS/4addr in the source so I strongly suspect support is there but not exposed via the web interface. I tried to enable it a few ways, but couldn't get it working and unfortunately this is my family's primary router so my troubleshooting time has been limited to not disrupt everyone from using it. I unfortunately have several devices in my home office behind a wireless bridge & 8 port switch so 4addr is essential for me or the arp table breaks after a couple days (all the IPs behind the bridge have the same MAC). I'll play with it a bit more, but may need to jump back to LEDE/OpenWRT.

On a side note, any chance we can get either the NFS kernel module and/or rpcbind packaged? I was trying to get unfsd to work, but I think I need rpcbind to be successful.

Sorry, no possibility to check/modify this in the nearest time. Cannot promise anything.

Voxel.

Info for Entware users: Entware is upgraded. It is enough to run:

Code:
/opt/bin/opkg update
/opt/bin/opkg upgrade

to upgrade your version.

Voxel.

Probably this is correct action in your case.

Voxel.

Thanks!! On a side note, figured I'd inquire...

I have very little knowledge on how 11k works, but as far as I understand it relates to roaming and handoffs?

So technically since I don't have multiple AP's with the same SSID, it shouldn't really affect me right? It would more likely affect people that use "Smart Connect" and have 2.4/5 GHz under the same name?

Or am I not understanding correctly how it works.

So did switching the 2.4GHz mode from 800 to 347Mbps work?

I just tried this just now and rebooted router and printer. It did not. I see a bunch of other SSID's except mine. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Yes 11k is roaming.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33195-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...s/33196-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part-2
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...s/33197-wi-fi-roaming-secrets-revealed-part-3
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/33180-how-to-fix-wi-fi-roaming
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

Thanks!! On a side note, figured I'd inquire...

I have very little knowledge on how 11k works, but as far as I understand it relates to roaming and handoffs?

So technically since I don't have multiple AP's with the same SSID, it shouldn't really affect me right? It would more likely affect people that use "Smart Connect" and have 2.4/5 GHz under the same name?

Or am I not understanding correctly how it works.

I just tried this just now and rebooted router and printer. It did not. I see a bunch of other SSID's except mine. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Unfortunately printer wireless firmware tends to especially suck (I have similar issues on m HP printer). One thought since you're not seeing the SSID is that perhaps the printer doesn't support 802.11N (or perhaps not fully considering how long it was in draft). You could try disabling 40MHz channel mode or setting the data rate in the g range (just to test out this theory). If something like this turns out to be the case, best bet to solve long term is probably throwing a wireless bridge in front of the printer.

Hello, is HT160 (Well...80+80, 1733 Mbps) supported with Voxel firmware? If so, does anyone have an experience with getting it working with an Intel 9260 network card? I've searched and have seen that this combo can work, but not sure with Voxel firmware in particular.

I'm only able to connect at 866.7 Mbps after switching to different channels, looking at the card properties, moving closer, etc. Any ideas?

Channel 36+40+44(p)+48
Mode Up to 1733 Mbps

inSSIDER info:
u4XfVFi.jpg

EDIT:

Wouldn't you know it, I missed the "Enable HT160" checkbox under Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings :oops:. Bouncing between 780-1560 Mbps now...will keep fiddling!

Channel 36+40+44(p)+48+52+56+60+64
Mode Up to 1733 Mbps

Last edited:
Try setting manual channels on 5Ghz and single mode AC on 5Ghz and see if the connection rates stop bouncing.

Hello, is HT160 (Well...80+80, 1733 Mbps) supported with Voxel firmware? If so, does anyone have an experience with getting it working with an Intel 9260 network card? I've searched and have seen that this combo can work, but not sure with Voxel firmware in particular.

I'm only able to connect at 866.7 Mbps after switching to different channels, looking at the card properties, moving closer, etc. Any ideas?

Channel 36+40+44(p)+48
Mode Up to 1733 Mbps

inSSIDER info:
u4XfVFi.jpg

EDIT:

Wouldn't you know it, I missed the "Enable HT160" checkbox under Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings :oops:. Bouncing between 780-1560 Mbps now...will keep fiddling!

Channel 36+40+44(p)+48+52+56+60+64
Mode Up to 1733 Mbps

How long until the new voxel firmware is due now the official version is out?
Netgear has to first publish the source code for the new firmware. That can take a while.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!