What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.65SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Funnily... What is a result of

Code:
nvram show | grep http_passwd

(sure, if it is plain text just replace this output :) )

Mine is:
Code:
http_passwd_digest=E19AC60CC4BBDE6805EF8356FEB40A8F4816FAD27134A96719C20138C09932BF
http_passwd=E19AC60CC4BBDE6805EF8356FEB40A8F4816FAD27134A96719C20138C09932BF

(guess what is a passwd ;))

So I do have an encrypted password. But it is not asked when QoS and Attached Devices in Advanced tab.

P.S.
There was obsessive suggestion (initially) in GUI to repeat my restore password questions. But I've checked the checkbox to do not ask me again. It was after integration of the latest stock in my 63SF.

Voxel.

I have as well scrambled password for http. Plus I've cleaned up password hints:
PWD_answer1=
PWD_answer2=
PWD_question1=
PWD_question2=
I am really surprised you are unable to reproduce since on my end that behavior is consistent starting from .64SF if I recall correctly despite few config clean ups.

Funnily... What is a result of

Code:

(sure, if it is plain text just replace this output :) )

Mine is:
Code:
http_passwd_digest=E19AC60CC4BBDE6805EF8356FEB40A8F4816FAD27134A96719C20138C09932BF
http_passwd=E19AC60CC4BBDE6805EF8356FEB40A8F4816FAD27134A96719C20138C09932BF

(guess what is a passwd ;))

So I do have an encrypted password. But it is not asked when QoS and Attached Devices in Advanced tab.

P.S.
There was obsessive suggestion (initially) in GUI to repeat my restore password questions. But I've checked the checkbox to do not ask me again. It was after integration of the latest stock in my 63SF.

Voxel.

After updating to R7800 v. 1.0.2.65SF I have completely lost connectivity to my 5Ghz network. The 5Ghz ssid is visible but my devices which were working fine before just cant connect to it anymore. On my windows system I keep getting a message that my password for the 5Ghz connection is not correct, I double checked and tripled checked the password is correct. On my other devices like my smart TV, Amazon Fire tv, Xbox one x and PS4 pro I just get a message that its unable to connect.

I do not use the smart connect feature on my X4S I like explicitly connecting compatible 5Ghz devices to the corresponding frequency cause smart connect does not work very well for me.
Here are some things that I tried:
+ Made the 5Ghz ssid open - Devices were able to connect if the connection is open
+ Factory reset the router and set it up again with different ssids and passwords than before for 2.4 and 5Ghz - The 2.4Ghz works but the 5Ghz on my windows keeps telling me my password is incorrect and on other devices I get the message unable to connect
+ mtd erase netgear and reflashed v. 1.0.2.65SF - Setup everything new again including ssids and passwords for each ssid, now my 2.4Ghz has been unreliable and keeps disconnecting randomly, the 5Ghz wont connect at all
+ mtd erase netgear + downgraded to v. 1.0.2.64SF (This FW worked well for me) - Setup as new router but with my original ssid and passwords for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, the 2.4Ghz so far is working fine but my 5Ghz will not connect
+ Enabled smart connect after the above step (single ssid for 2.4 and 5Ghz with the same password) - My Desktop computer with an intel 9260 gets connected to the 2.4Ghz, My LG oled 2016 smart TV (which is in the same room as my router) connects to the 2.4Ghz, my PS4 pro connects to the 2.4Ghz. The only 2 devices that connect to the 5Ghz are my iphone X and my Xbox one X.

Any help would be appreciated .

I would try moving back to stock and then reinstalling .64SF (if everything is going to work with stock). Before each reimaging might be good to erase netgear partition.

I would try moving back to stock and then reinstalling .64SF (if everything is going to work with stock). Before each reimaging might be good to erase netgear partition.
Going back to the stock FW V1.0.2.62 after mtd erase netgear screws up wifi completely, with stock I am not able to connect to my 2.4 or 5Ghz with smart connect enabled or disabled.

I might be doing something wrong here is the sequence of steps I perform when flashing stock or voxel FW:
+ Enable telnet
+ Telnet into the router and do "mtd erase netgear"
+ reboot
+ Flash FW
+ Factory reset
+ Setup router as new

Is there a an exclusive DFU mode available on X4S where I can just start fresh by flashing the stock 1.2.46 FW because this was the most stable FW for me, I went months without disconnecting or rebooting the router.

Have you tried Voxels V65? It's loaded on mine. No issues currently.
Though your method of resetting the router should work. I use the web page in the UI to reset factory only after FW is loaded then setup from scratch.

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?
I use manual Channel 11.
Beamforming enabled.

You seam to be doing everything right. No errors during the process?
I have only to more ideas:
1) unbirck procedure (load stock FW, maybe some really old one, via TFTP)
2) RMA process with NG (hopefully your NG is still under warranty)
Optionally erase nvram partition _after_ flushing firmware.

Going back to the stock FW V1.0.2.62 after mtd erase netgear screws up wifi completely, with stock I am not able to connect to my 2.4 or 5Ghz with smart connect enabled or disabled.

I might be doing something wrong here is the sequence of steps I perform when flashing stock or voxel FW:
+ Enable telnet
+ Telnet into the router and do "mtd erase netgear"
+ reboot
+ Flash FW
+ Factory reset
+ Setup router as new

Is there a an exclusive DFU mode available on X4S where I can just start fresh by flashing the stock 1.2.46 FW because this was the most stable FW for me, I went months without disconnecting or rebooting the router.

Last edited:
Have you tried Voxels V65? It's loaded on mine. No issues currently.
Though your method of resetting the router should work. I use the web page in the UI to reset factory only after FW is loaded then setup from scratch.

Any wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many?
I use manual Channel 11.
Beamforming enabled.

I was on Voxel 64SF and upgraded to .65SF. Voxel's .64SF worked well for me the problems started when I moved to .65 now no matter what FW my Wifi does not work properly.

To answer your questions:
My systems just detect a DirectTv, Xfinity and my wifi ssid other than this no other Wifi networks are detected but thats because I live on a 40k Sqft property and the houses are all far apart.
My 2.4Ghz channel is set to Auto and 5Ghz is set to 153 this is how I had it originally before moving to .65SF and it worked well for me.
Beamforming is enabled for me too.

Have you tried:
nvram default
nvram commit​

**** Do NOT reboot the router via the 'reboot' command in telnet/ssh ***

Reboot the router via the GUI button or the power button on the back of the router.

I would have done a factory reset after migrating to v65SF and setup from scratch.

Try channel 48 or 149 first on 5Ghz.

I was on Voxel 64SF and upgraded to .65SF. Voxel's .64SF worked well for me the problems started when I moved to .65 now no matter what FW my Wifi does not work properly.

To answer your questions:
My systems just detect a DirectTv, Xfinity and my wifi ssid other than this no other Wifi networks are detected but thats because I live on a 40k Sqft property and the houses are all far apart.
My 2.4Ghz channel is set to Auto and 5Ghz is set to 153 this is how I had it originally before moving to .65SF and it worked well for me.
Beamforming is enabled for me too.

Have you tried:
nvram default
nvram commit​

**** Do NOT reboot the router via the 'reboot' command in telnet/ssh ***

Reboot the router via the GUI button or the power button on the back of the router.
Is there a difference in rebooting from command line and from the GUI ?

The GUI reboots the entire system. The telnet command may only reboot parts of the FW. I would always reboot from the GUI if possible.

Is there a difference in rebooting from command line and from the GUI ?
I have run across instances where the reboot command resulted in some of my changes not actually getting applied; whereas, the reboot button in the GUI ensured they were.

I'm not sure of the exact specifics as to why; I'm just speaking from past experiences.

I hope this helps!

One question about the ssh key:
Does the ssh key in /root/.ssh survive a firmware update?
I am not sure when it happened, but I updated to .65SF and downgraded to .64SF and now I dont have ssh access any more.

You seam to be doing everything right. No errors during the process?
I have only to more ideas:
1) unbirck procedure (load stock FW, maybe some really old one, via TFTP)
2) RMA process with NG (hopefully your NG is still under warranty)
Optionally erase nvram partition _after_ flushing firmware.

Thank you Percy3 ! I did mtd erase netgear and flashed stock 10.2.46 via TFTP, then factory reset via GUI. Now everything is working flawlessly, my router is back to its original state before flashing voxel's FW. 5Ghz works with no issues and I have not reboot my router in 3 days and not once has my wifi connection on both 2.4 and 5Ghz drop. I am very happy, thank you again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!