What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.67SF & 1.0.2.67.1SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys, @Voxel I am having trouble with dnscrypt2, it's enabled in NVRAM and scripts run it, however at a reboot it does not start and I am left with no internet after any power outage. Is there further troubleshooting / recent changes that could be related? I am currently connecting via SSH at every boot to start it, noot great :)

Thanks! Matteo.

Couple things: Did you modify the /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml config file or did you leave it stock? Are you manually setting DNS settings through the GUI? Are you overriding your MAC?

I just installed this. Be sure to backup your settings first. After it installed, it wouldn't connect to the Internet. Restoring the settings fixes the issue.

EDIT: This may have something more to do with my Cable modem and not this new release. I just switched services so I'm not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of this service.

The second LED still is flashing so I'm not sure the DNS issue is fixed.

The second LED still is flashing so I'm not sure the DNS issue is fixed.

In general this 67.1SF fixes:

1. curl package: revert to OpenSSL 1.0.2 (to provide compatibility with ReadyCLOUD).

There was real problem with this. ReadyCLOUD did not work generating new and new child process. And most probably every new process sends DNS request.

If

he Led flashes constantly in the stock .62 firmware as well.

stock 62 has the same there could be problem not with router but with NG remote sites. E.g. similar to QoS update remote NG (or QCA) site - it is just unreachable and no DNS records for this QoS update server anymore.

Voxel.

Installed Voxel's 67.1SF a few minutes ago.

51404452.png

8377441779.png

Running 67.1SF.

I was a little bored this morning, so I climbed up on a step stool to view the LED's on my 7800. (My 7800 is on a high closet shelf). It appears to me that the Internet (WAN) LED is modulating/flashing with LAN traffic communicating through the WAN. Perhaps Netgear changed the functionality?

Last edited:
still remote management feature is not working from stock. Was there any issue with URL changed or server is not seeing right version in the list to recognize. Not sure how they work.

I am trying to get DNSCrypt running. But it just refused. When I check the Kamoji debug page it says enabled but not running. I reboot. Won't start. I try to start it manually through telnet it won't start. It will say not enabled in NVRAM. I try to enable it. It gives me no response to the command.

I tried to install the packages from the voxel website but obviously you have already included newer versions.

It just won't run. I had it running on .65 and .66 if I remember well. .65 at least. I'm on .67.1 now and same story for .67

To enable DNSCrypt-Proxy v2, run these commands from telnet/ssh console:
  • nvram set dnscrypt2=1
  • nvram commit
  • Reboot your router.
To disable DNSCrypt-Proxy v2, run these commands from telnet/ssh console:
  • nvram set dnscrypt2=0
  • nvram commit
  • Reboot your router.
To display DNSCrypt-Proxy log, run these commands from telnet/ssh console:
  • cat /var/log/dnscrypt-proxy-2.log

There we go. That did the trick. Thanks so much!

And how to edit the config file?

Last edited:
There we go. That did the trick. Thanks so much!

And how to edit the config file?

Glad that worked, but I'm surprised there wasn't an entry.

You have to edit the /etc/dnscrypt-proxy-2.toml file. Do you know how to use vi? What do you want to edit? There may be another way to do it.

The data throughput is also to cry about. I think after upgrading a few versions this puppy needs a factory reset! I'll give that a try later. I just replaced it with an Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin.. and boy that's a relieve from the retro genie interface and outdated neglected options.. With the Asus everything just works as advertised and I ended up using most of its features where on the R7800 I turned most off resorting to other options.

I'll use the R7800 in my office environment to extend the Wifi range there and hook it up to a blazing fast uplink and let it function as a documents cloud.

I tried using DNSCrypt but the slowdown is too significant within China, I turned it off again. Thanks for the support anyway! Appreciated!

Any luck for the remote management feature. . I dont want to downgrade to stock for this on feature.

Any luck for the remote management feature.

You have enforced me to test this intensively. Nighthawk App (NA below) is a "black box" for me because I do not have any source codes.

So results of my testing with iOS (I do not have any Android device):

1. NA is using somehow ReadyCLOUD. The last is installed automatically after flashing new any fw (if you do not disable it in my build setting in nvram).
2. If ReadyCLOUD is disabled or if it was installed wrongly: NA will not work.
3. 1.0.2.67SF was incompatible with ReadyCLOUD from NG (OpenSSL 1.1.1 used in libcurl is not compatible with ReadyCLOUD using 1.0.2).
4. 1.0.2.67.1SF is compatible with ReadyCLOUD from NG. And if it was installed properly NA should work.

When ReadyCLOUD was disabled in my R7800 (I do not use these "extensions" from NG such as ReadyCLOUD or/and hippllay/kwilt) I could not enable Remote Management in NA. It was displaying something like "Some error occurred while enabling/disabling remote management". But when I enabled ReadyCLOUD and when I was able to see my files from https://readycloud.netgear.com/ I could enable this Remote Management in Nighthawk App.

So check first that you are able to use ReadyCLOUD. If not - reset or flashing new fw (coming soon).

I dont want to downgrade to stock for this on feature.
Anybody is free to choose what he needs in the first turn. If it is critical for you... I prefer to do not create any additional holes in my security (ReadyCLOUD, kwilt, Remote Management etc.)

Voxel.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!