What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.77SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Monday morning was a V.I.P
Tuesday night they didn't wanna know me
Wednesday night drank sour grapes
Must'a smoked near on fifty straights a-huh-huh

Friday wondered where Thursday went
Saturday failed to pay my rent
Sunday found me in the church to say
If you got a little heaven won't you send it my way

Remember me, I'm Voxel
Feeling like forty, more like thirty-five
Remember me, I'm Voxel,
Feeling like forty, more like thirty-five
Remember me...

There was a hard release... now... Beer, beer, beer.

Who knows this song?
Voxel.

I'll be very impressed if anyone else has listened to Smokie. My older brother used to play I'll meet you at midnight all the time when we were kids. He felt it was cool to mix UK artist songs in with his normal variety. He was a pioneer of his time (my brother, not the band :) )

Oh and it's Petesey's song.

I'll be very impressed if anyone else has listened to Smokie. My older brother used to play I'll meet you at midnight all the time when we were kids. He felt it was cool to mix UK artist songs in with his normal variety. He was a pioneer of his time (my brother, not the band :) )

Oh and it's Petesey's song.
I like "Needles and pins".

Voxel.

does anyone expect any meaningful changes to functionality from these mods? I'm wondering specifically if the iptables changes might do something important?

does anyone expect any meaningful changes to functionality from these mods? I'm wondering specifically if the iptables changes might do something important?
Rhetorical question, sorry. Why to upgrade to the version with security fixes? Do you feel any difference in say Windows 10 two years ago vs current Windows 10 with all fixes installed...

iptables. The version 1.4.10 was used long time for R7800. Look for example at this:

https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2012-2663/

Well. No visible effect if you are changing to latest iptables 1.8.4. But you have now CVE with 7.5 score fixed. Should you feel something meaningful changes to functionality? Rather no. Just fixing vulnerability. Practically nobody would feel any changes. Until somebody will be hacked.

iptables changelogs: https://netfilter.org/projects/iptables/downloads.html

try to trace all of them. Only 1.4.10 (used before this my build in R7800)- >1.4.11 (next version) is about 300 lines of changes/fixes:

https://netfilter.org/projects/iptables/files/changes-iptables-1.4.11.txt

P.S.
The same me notes for the rest my upgrades of packages. Software should be kept up-to-date.

Voxel.

Last edited:
The new iptables has option -C, that is interesting for people dealing with iptables.
That can help my script to be smaller, but I will wait as not everybody is upgrading their firmware yet.

Last edited:
Rhetorical question, sorry. .
Sorry Voxel, I sincerely wasn't trying to be sarcastic. (i'm often sarcastic, but not this time) On other relatively minor voxel updates I feel confident to know if I'm even using OpenVPN or nano or whatever, so I'll be affected by the upgrade.

But the iptables seemed like a huge jump and that's why it piqued my interest.... has netgear really been running the same iptables for like 6+ years? Then again I guess their baseline is openwrt altitude adjustment so that was from 2013...

And dumber question... am I even using iptables? I mean, I have a single port forwarded on the router... I'm not intentionally doing anything with "iptables", so I don't know if netgear uses iptables or something else for the same functionality.

iptables are used by NG along with their own firewall. So yes, even with a vanilla setup, you are using iptables ;)

Sorry Voxel, I sincerely wasn't trying to be sarcastic. (i'm often sarcastic, but not this time) On other relatively minor voxel updates I feel confident to know if I'm even using OpenVPN or nano or whatever, so I'll be affected by the upgrade.

But the iptables seemed like a huge jump and that's why it piqued my interest.... has netgear really been running the same iptables for like 6+ years? Then again I guess their baseline is openwrt altitude adjustment so that was from 2013...

And dumber question... am I even using iptables? I mean, I have a single port forwarded on the router... I'm not intentionally doing anything with "iptables", so I don't know if netgear uses iptables or something else for the same functionality.

Sorry Voxel, I sincerely wasn't trying to be sarcastic. (i'm often sarcastic, but not this time)
No problems.

iptables binary itself is user level program allowing to interact with kernel level firewall. So "huge jump" rather not this "iptables" binary. Stability of firewall. iptables package consists of user level and kernel level space.

Direct calls of iptables binary are used e.g. in QoS, Guest Network, OpenVPN server/client, WireGuard etc. etc. etc. So its upgrade is important.

Voxel.

Last edited:
@Voxel

I have a problem with this custom firmware. I cant access readyshare folders which are password protedcted via Windows 10. Unprotected folder can be accessed without any problems.

Is this a know issue? Any advice? Thanks for your hard work!

which are password protedcted via Windows 10. Unprotected folder can be accessed without any problems.
Permissions problems? What filesystem do you use for your USB drive? How do you map your drive? By what user?

There are three possibilities to map the network drive of R7800: as a guest, second choice: as an admin. Third choice: as a root user. The last one (root) should have all access rights for any kind of disk. Read/Write/Modify.

Voxel.

Filesystem is ntfs, usb drive connected to router.

Setup via readyshare webgui.
One folder is without password and works fine.
One folder uses admin pass and doesnt work. Its not accessible.

Maybe a general problem with x4s

Filesystem is ntfs, usb drive connected to router.

Setup via readyshare webgui.
One folder is without password and works fine.
One folder uses admin pass and doesnt work. Its not accessible.

Maybe a general problem with x4s

I do not quite understand. Do you use the Windows specific folder features on your remote drive attached to router such as protection the folder by password or so? It will not work.

My question was how do you map this remote network drive to your Windows? You can map it w/o password (== guest account), as an admin (restricted user), or especially pointing that user is "root" and password is "your pass" (full access).

Voxel.

also just tried on my R7800 configured my USB disk like this:

Share Name Read Access Write Access Folder Name
\\readyshare\USB_Storage admin admin U:\ optware

then in Windows 10 (1909) did this:
net use * \\readyshare\USB_Storage /user:admin
and entered the same password I use to access the webgui:
Enter the password for 'admin' to connect to 'readyshare':
Drive X: is now connected to \\readyshare\USB_Storage.

The command completed successfully.

So it does work...
Note, my USB stick is formatted with ext4

also just tried on my R7800 configured my USB disk like this:

Share Name Read Access Write Access Folder Name
\\readyshare\USB_Storage admin admin U:\ optware

then in Windows 10 (1909) did this:
net use * \\readyshare\USB_Storage /user:admin
and entered the same password I use to access the webgui:
Enter the password for 'admin' to connect to 'readyshare':
Drive X: is now connected to \\readyshare\USB_Storage.

The command completed successfully.

So it does work...
Note, my USB stick is formatted with ext4

I mean that if you use root user you have all root rights (read/write) to all folders:

net use x: \\readyshare\USB_Storage /user:root

Rights of user "admin" are restricted. Password is the same as for user "admin".

Voxel.

Flashed Voxel firmware on an Orbi RBR50 and it was running fine. It experienced a power cycle (I knocked the power cube out with my knee :) ) and it now reboots (fast LED flash) and then goes into a white LED pulsing varying brightness up an down). Seems like a soft-brick. Ethernet ports are dead (no link status) and I can't do TFTP, but I see that plugging in a USB drive gets some activity on the drive. Any chance there is a UBS recovery trick or a way to "autorun" a firmware update to reflash? Doesn't pulsing white mean trying to do factory reset or config update? Thanks.

Scott

ps. this is a test RBR50 so I am not SOL but would like to unbrick this thing for testing.

pps. Do you know if the 4 pin header on the Orbi board (TP1) is the serial interface? I might have some luck with CFE bootloader via that path too. thanks

@Voxel

Although I was on Needles and Pins (pun intended), I just upgraded from 74.4SF to 77SF successfully.

The only nit was when I uploaded 77SF to the 7800, I got a warning that said:
192.168.1.1 says: Warning! You are trying to download firmware with version V1.0.2.77SF which is older than the firmware with version V1.0.2.74.4SF you had. Do you want to continue?

I clicked OK and the install process completed successfully.

The surprisingly nice aspect to the firmware upgrade was that the nvram did not cause problems like it had when I upgraded to 74.4SF. The router retained all it settings. BTW, I am not running any other software provided by other snbforum members to get around the nvram content retention issue.

Prior to today's firmware upgrade, I momentarily lost power on Friday night (during some local riots). The 7800 rebooted without issue with 74.4SF. I had expected it would have the nvram retention issue and lose its settings.

The only difference I can recall is that I disabled the Traffic Meter (TM) after I installed 74.4SF and setup the 7800 back in March. TM with DST enabled was causing Shield's Up All Service Ports test to fail.

With 77SF, I just ran Shields Up All Service Ports test with TM disabled and DST enabled. It passed. I have no practical use for TM and will never enable it again.

I'm glad I was able to upgrade to 77SF without hassles.

THANK YOU Voxel!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!