What's new

Custom names list

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maghuro

Very Senior Member
I posted this inside the 388.2 thread, but I'll post it in a new thread to bring the attention needed.

The NVRAM var "custom_clientlist" gets bugged after a reboot.

The correct syntax is:

Code:
custom_clientlist=<NAME>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>><NAME2>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>>

And whenever I reboot the router, the first entry (only the first one) is saved without the opening "<":

Code:
custom_clientlist=NAME>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>><NAME2>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>>

The Asus router deals correctly with it, displaying that device name correctly.

However, some third party services like NextDNS, which rely on the correct syntax, don't process correctly the custom names and doesn't show them in their page, because of that bug.

The solution is change one device NAME to another one, and then change it back.

But after a reboot, that var trims again the first <

I'm using a GT-AX6000. Happens on both regular and rog firmware.

Anyone facing the same issue?
Thanks.

I've noticed this with various nvram variables since the 2021 386.x releases. I don't think of this as a bug particularly because the firmware itself seems to cope with both formats.

I've noticed this with various nvram variables since the 2021 386.x releases. I don't think of this as a bug particularly because the firmware itself seems to cope with both formats.
It worked well on my ol' Rt-ac86u, never noticed that trimm. And NextDNS always worked correctly

Here also appears this "bug". I always come across when exporting/importing my device list. But the truth is that it works even if the "<" disappears at the beginning...

Here also appears this "bug". I always come across when exporting/importing my device list. But the truth is that it works even if the "<" disappears at the beginning...
Except for third-party services that rely on that specific syntax

I posted this inside the 388.2 thread, but I'll post it in a new thread to bring the attention needed.

The NVRAM var "custom_clientlist" gets bugged after a reboot.

The correct syntax is:
Code:
custom_clientlist=<NAME>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>><NAME2>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>>

And whenever I reboot the router, the first entry (only the first one) is saved without the opening "<":
Code:
custom_clientlist=NAME>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>><NAME2>MA:CA:DD:RE:SS>0>0>>>>

The Asus router deals correctly with it, displaying that device name correctly.

However, some third party services like NextDNS, which rely on the correct syntax, don't process correctly the custom names and doesn't show them in their page, because of that bug.

I'm using a GT-AX6000. Happens on both regular and rog firmware.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you said, this could become a problem for some 3rd-party s/w that currently parse the affected NVRAM vars based on one specific syntax form.

I have added/modified code in YazDHCP to be able to account for such scenarios. A GitHub PR has already been submitted.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you said, this could become a problem for some 3rd-party s/w that currently parse the affected NVRAM vars based on one specific syntax form.

I have added/modified code in YazDHCP to be able to account for such scenarios. A GitHub PR has already been submitted.
Thanks!

As I'm not familiar with Asus code, I sent a fix directly for NextDNS which uses go.

Just have some attention regarding all NVRAM cars you use on YazDhcp - @ColinTaylor said he noticed the same issue with some other vars also.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!