What's new

Unable to change client names under network map

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Viktor Jaep

Part of the Furniture
Weird... I used to be able to change client names under the network map. But now, after I edit it, exit out and come back, it goes back to what it had before.

I noticed one of my PCs changed its name on its own to "MSFT 5 0"... been trying to change it back to no avail. Anyone else experiencing this, or is it time to reboot the dang GT-AX6000 (running 388.1)? There's no other place to change client names that I'm missing, right?

1675367017441.png

You can also change the name on the same tab on the right side "Client status". Click on an entry and a new dialog pops up.

If the right side shows "System status", clock on the blue circle above "Clients: 38" to switch to "Client status".

1675370563802.png

Weird... I used to be able to change client names under the network map. But now, after I edit it, exit out and come back, it goes back to what it had before.

I noticed one of my PCs changed its name on its own to "MSFT 5 0"... been trying to change it back to no avail. Anyone else experiencing this, or is it time to reboot the dang GT-AX6000 (running 388.1)? There's no other place to change client names that I'm missing, right?

View attachment 47649
I just made a change in one of my client names (one that I previously modified) and the change is still there after exiting and coming back.

View attachment 47649

The NVRAM variable may have gotten corrupted, you can wipe it out in the CLI and then try again.

Weird... I used to be able to change client names under the network map

I've seen this bug on multiple Asus routers and firmware versions. Try few times until the name sticks.

You can also change the name on the same tab on the right side "Client status". Click on an entry and a new dialog pops up.

If the right side shows "System status", clock on the blue circle above "Clients: 38" to switch to "Client status".

View attachment 47651
Thanks for the suggestion... this didn't allow me to change the name either unfortunately. UGH. :(

I've seen this bug on multiple Asus routers and firmware versions. Try few times until the name sticks.
Doesn't matter how many times unfortunately... I think a reboot is in order. What a PITA.

Not sure if you have noticed, but custom icons won't stick either for other Asus devices. They revert to the default picture of the device after some time, usually on re-connect. This is not 388.1 specific, all usual Client List related bugs. You perhaps have clients that never show in Client List as well.

Doesn't matter how many times unfortunately... I think a reboot is in order. What a PITA.
Rebooting is a pain? I assumed you had already tried that....

You can ssh in and clear the NVRAM variable where they are stored, that will probably fix it, but yeah, makes sense to reboot first.

Rebooting is a pain? I assumed you had already tried that....
Everything else is working flawlessly... and have to wait for a good opportunity to bring it down, with wife and kids in college that can't get interrupted unless I want to get yelled at. ;) So 3am is a sweet spot. Yes, it's a PITA. lol
You can ssh in and clear the NVRAM variable where they are stored, that will probably fix it, but yeah, makes sense to reboot first.
The reboot seems to have resolved the issue. I believe the client list was stuck or not updating as new devices join/drop off, and not allowing updates to some bogus device that probably wasn't there.

I believe the client list was stuck or not updating

I've seen this too, mostly on AC86U and it usually happens with >1week uptime. Once my AX86U was left for about 3 weeks running and I found it with Client List and Web History frozen in time. Don't worry, everything is running as expected. Just reboot and reset from time to time.

everything is running as expected. Just reboot and reset from time to time.
But you *shouldn't* have to for silly stuff like this... :p

For Client List you can try killall asusdiscovery in ssh, but not guaranteed to help. For Web History - I don't know. I've seen Traffic Analyzer frozen too on AX86U, but I had no space left on the second page of Issues Found list to write it down and forgot about it. Hopefully your AX6000 is better.

For Client List you can try killall asusdiscovery in ssh, but not guaranteed to help. For Web History - I don't know. I've seen Traffic Analyzer frozen too on AX86U, but I had no space left on the second page of Issues Found list to write it down and forgot about it. Hopefully your AX6000 is better.
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in my swissarmy knife list of helpful commands!

Credit goes to @dave14305, not my find. He's one of the ssh wizards. :)

I've been testing this for a month, and it appears to be keeping the client list from freezing up. The approach I've taken is to create a cronjob to kill asusdiscovery once a week.

What router do you have? Is it RT-AC86U with the software bug still not fixed?

What router do you have? Is it RT-AC86U with the software bug still not fixed?

If you're asking me, I have an AC86U.

Yes, this model suffers more often than others from stuck GUI components like Web History, Client List, Traffic Analyzer or the GUI not loading at all. Usually you find one not working after about a week or two uptime.

Yes, this model suffers more often than others from stuck GUI components like Web History, Client List, Traffic Analyzer or the GUI not loading at all. Usually you find one not working after about a week or two uptime.

I think my AC68U on another network suffers from the same issue, but overall, this is an interesting potential correlation. I can't tell from the other thread whether ASUS has acknowledged the issue with stuck processes and intends to fix the issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!