What's new

Cutting Cable, Will go with 1GB/s Xfinity: Would like suggestions on coverage and gaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Debu

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

So right now I have an Asus AC-5300 running Merlin.
The house is Colonial with the family room on the side. So think Colonial house with an extra bottom half next to it.

Roughly 3000+ with basement.
The router is in the middle bedroom upstairs and covers most of the house OK, but the deck gets spotty and my Verizon wifi calling drops a bit.
The Gaming is in the basement and right now I have hooked up using MoCA adapters that are about 100 Mb/s. That is where the PS4/Xbox reside today and are wired into a gigabit switch today that connects also with the MoCA adapters.

Since no one is watching TV, I figured I'll increase our bandwidth to 1 Gb/s Down with 35 Up.

My Asus says it can run mesh mode.

So some questions:
Should I get 1 or 2 lower end models from Asus and set them as mesh satellites or go with a new thing all together?

I'd like to get off the MoCA adapters at some point.
If I have a mesh AP in the basement and I assume the ports would be bridged in, would I have less latency?

In terms of usage, most are on Youtube or gaming online. Mostly PS4/Xbox.
I have heard complaints when I Xbox or PS4 pulls down an update the network gets slow and when I look at the downloads on the router they are very close to 100 Mb/s down...which surprised me because I figured MS/SONY wouldn't have that much for each person.

For TV, we'll probably buy an AppleTV since you can do the Airplay and we all have iphones/ipads. Might do something like Sling with it. We don't have 4K yet, but will probably get something that supports 4K down the road.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Hi,

So right now I have an Asus AC-5300 running Merlin.
The house is Colonial with the family room on the side. So think Colonial house with an extra bottom half next to it.

Roughly 3000+ with basement.
The router is in the middle bedroom upstairs and covers most of the house OK, but the deck gets spotty and my Verizon wifi calling drops a bit.
The Gaming is in the basement and right now I have hooked up using MoCA adapters that are about 100 Mb/s. That is where the PS4/Xbox reside today and are wired into a gigabit switch today that connects also with the MoCA adapters.

Since no one is watching TV, I figured I'll increase our bandwidth to 1 Gb/s Down with 35 Up.

My Asus says it can run mesh mode.

So some questions:
Should I get 1 or 2 lower end models from Asus and set them as mesh satellites or go with a new thing all together?

I'd like to get off the MoCA adapters at some point.
If I have a mesh AP in the basement and I assume the ports would be bridged in, would I have less latency?

In terms of usage, most are on Youtube or gaming online. Mostly PS4/Xbox.
I have heard complaints when I Xbox or PS4 pulls down an update the network gets slow and when I look at the downloads on the router they are very close to 100 Mb/s down...which surprised me because I figured MS/SONY wouldn't have that much for each person.

For TV, we'll probably buy an AppleTV since you can do the Airplay and we all have iphones/ipads. Might do something like Sling with it. We don't have 4K yet, but will probably get something that supports 4K down the road.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Depends on what sort of speeds your expecting to get over wifi. Mesh your gonna not gonna get more than a few hundred Mbps over wifi. If you wire all the APs you could see upwards of around 600-800mbps depending on what APs you get and clients that'll be connecting to it.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

What is the usual latency from mesh node to mesh node?
I don't have a mesh system right now and was curious.

As for running ethernet to the APs, I could probably do that. I don't think it is too hard in this house.
Might just call an electrician to fish it.

Until Covid is over I really don't want to have anyone in house for awhile.

What is the usual latency from mesh node to mesh node?
I don't have a mesh system right now and was curious.

As for running ethernet to the APs, I could probably do that. I don't think it is too hard in this house.
Might just call an electrician to fish it.

Until Covid is over I really don't want to have anyone in house for awhile.
It can depend. But honestly only issues I've ever had with mesh was speeds. Never noticed a huge bump in latency unless signal was bad which by then speeds where useless.

I use a GT-AC5300 but with wireless disabled. I use a TP-Link EAP225 and 245. Soon they're supposed to be coming out with a WiFi 6 lineup so waiting for that to upgrade.

I've honestly thought about trying out Asus mesh, but this past year I've been spoiled with the simplistically of PoE

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Buy one RT-AC86U and try it as the wireless AiMesh router/root node.

Disclaimer: I have a hammer so everything looks like a nail.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!