What's new

D-Link DIR 655 vs DIR 628

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QBA

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new router and I found these two D-Link DIR 655 vs DIR 628, for a similar price at a local store.

What do you guys think is the overall better router out of the two?

Thanks

Alex

Your choice is basically gigabit ethernet and faster routing performance (DIR-655) vs 5 GHz support (DIR-628).
Unless you intend to run a 5 GHz-only network, the 655 would probably be a better choice.

Thanks jdabbs,

Which of the two has more range?

I don't really do a lot of networking between the computers, maybe a few small files once every two weeks.

Which of the two routers will be better for VOIP? I will connect the voice over IP router behind one of those routers.

I'm using this cordless 2.4 Ghz phone from Panasonic, that promises a Wireless network friendly built in capability to avoid interference from Wi-fi networks and microwave ovens.

I guess that if this "Wireless network friendly in capability" works, I shouldn't have to worry about running a 5Ghz betwork vs a 2.4 Ghz to avoid interference. So having a 5 Ghz to avoid interference maybe shouldn't be something to take into consideration, right?

The 628 underwent a revision a few months ago that replaced the radio, so the performance data here may not reflect what you buy today. However, both devices use Atheros radios and feature 2 dBi antennas. I would expect range to be similar with the performance advantage going to the 655 as it is a 3T3R design. Performance also lies in your choice of client, so you may not be able to take advantage of a potential performance difference anyway.

Both use Ubicom CPUs, so QoS should be identical.

You are describing the ability of your phone to handle interference. This is a separate function from its ability to cause interference. If your phone allows you to manually set a channel, then you can work around the issue.

Since range is the first thing your reply brought, it's probably important to you. Although moving to the 5 GHz band allows you to escape from interference in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, the use of a higher frequency results in reduced range. You exchange one problem for another.

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply,

I have one last inquiry:

Can use the DIR 268 in the 5 GHz frequency without interrupting the communication with my 2.4 GHz wireless print server?

Or this pretty much take away the argument of using the 5 GHz feature on the DIR 268, therefore making the DIR 655 a clear winner?

The 628 can only operate in one band at a time, so for 5 GHz operation you would need another device for your 2.4 GHz devices. The router you are using now may be do the trick.

There's a performance penalty for having your 11g and 11n clients share the same AP. Your print server wouldn't be much of a problem unless it is particularly chatty, but your other 11g devices may be. Then again, you may just be looking for a "better" router, and not be too concerned with wringing the last bit of performance out of it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!