What's new

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router Review:Draft 2.0 arrives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just FYI: By forcing N mode you are limiting the link rates and modulation methods used. This could force use of a "faster", but poorer performance connection.

When operating under low signal conditions, it's best to let the AP/router use all possible connection rates and modulation methods. This assumes, of course, that the router chooses its link rates wisely!

Right now I have the router in its stand with the antennas facing straight out towards the opposite side of the house where the DWA 160 is...two floors down.

Is that a mistake? Would I be better off having the 4500's antennas straight up in the air instead?

If by "facing straight out" you don't mean the tips are pointed at the client, but instead they are positioned in a manner that exposes the most antenna surface area* in the direction of the client, then that's close if not ideal. Since obstructions can also alter the signal trajectory, you may get better performance with a little more tweaking beyond the initial alignment.

Are you using the USB extension cable that came with the 160? That would get you a bit of flexibility in client positioning

*omnis, disappointing results w/ yagis

I set it to N only change the channel manually, create a different SSID and let the DIR-655 manage N only. Let the two Turbo G Access points with one sharing wireless client bridge link to the main Turbo G Access point all 3 on the same channel but using different SSID. where the client bridge using the SSID of the first Access Point. That seems to work out fine.

If by "facing straight out" you don't mean the tips are pointed at the client, but instead they are positioned in a manner that exposes the most antenna surface area* in the direction of the client, then that's close if not ideal.

Correct.

Since obstructions can also alter the signal trajectory, you may get better performance with a little more tweaking beyond the initial alignment.

Are you using the USB extension cable that came with the 160? That would get you a bit of flexibility in client positioning

Yes. Right now, at least, thanks to the recommendations you all have given me the situation overall is MUCH better now...to a pleasantly surprising degree! :)

Just FYI: By forcing N mode you are limiting the link rates and modulation methods used. This could force use of a "faster", but poorer performance connection.

When operating under low signal conditions, it's best to let the AP/router use all possible connection rates and modulation methods. This assumes, of course, that the router chooses its link rates wisely!

Let me revisit this real quick: Instead of "n only" even though I'm running N hardware only, I should set the router to mixed that includes n, g, and even b?

Let me revisit this real quick: Instead of "n only" even though I'm running N hardware only, I should set the router to mixed that includes n, g, and even b?
Correct. You won't hurt anything by using that setting and can possibly help your performance.

Of course, you can always experiment to see what works best for you.

Correct. You won't hurt anything by using that setting and can possibly help your performance.

Of course, you can always experiment to see what works best for you.

For now at least, it seems to be negligible either way.

I'm still trying to isolate this occasional and seemingly all too regular, very brief, and very quick drop out that happens on the DWA 160 two floors away. The behavior of it suggests either that "algorhythm" you suggested earlier or it could simply be a physical location/distance issue.

It's not a really bad problem or terrible, it's a minor nuisance at most and I'm just going to try and figure it out.

If it comes at a constant interval, it may be Wireless Zero Config (WZC) rescanning for networks. If so, I'd monitor the connection with WZC turned off.

DIR-655 With NAS

With the recent addition of the 1.21 firmware, the USB port on the back can now be used to network a USB device - from a NAS to a Scanner. Very handy.

Those of you here who have Costco membership have until 12/31/08 to get the router for only $79.99. I just seen this about 15 minutes ago in my local store.

A3 hardware
1.11 firmware

I guess I'll end up with another one for wireless n access point

DIR-655 / DWA-160 performance results

I know this is an old thread, but i just bought a 655 / 160 combination, both REV B1 and am getting pretty good results.

I get 4/5 bars (70%) and constant 67Mbps using Jperf from my laptop (client) to my desktop (server).

The 655 was set to N only, and rebooted. No G near the router or laptop. The laptop/160 is one floor above the 655. I tweaked the 4 TCP parameters in Jperf as follows: Buff length = 8Meg; Window Size = Default; Max Seg Size = 8K and TCP No Delay = checked.

With the default TCP settings, i got around 40Mbps.

With the router set to N & G, i got a constant 24Mpbs using the default TCP settings.

Dieter

So what does the Windows Link speed say?

Great distance

Just hooked my DIR-655 up and wow I got 220yards of coverage with good reception quality at the other end. Very happy so far.

From the latest D-Link DIR-655 A4 Review:

"There was a bit of a surprise checking the wireless security mode throughput, with slightly over 30% reduction running downlink with WPA2/AES"

Is this kind of performance hit common with among draft 802.11n products?

Looking at the IxChariot charts posted for average downlink throughput shows similar loss between the 655 A1 (avg. 25% loss) & the A4 (avg. 32% loss) but only avg. 8% loss on the 825.

Is the faster CPU of the 825 the reason it performs better when WPA2/AES is enabled or am I totally missing something else? Just curious. Thanks!

Here are the links to the charts:
DIR-655 A1 Security Chart

DIR-655 A4 Security Chart

DIR-825 Security Chart

Generally, using WPA2/AES in draft 11n products yields no noticeable throughput reduction over no encryption. However, some products show some speed loss, usually in one direction, not both.
That's why we test for it.

It is a wireless chipset /driver issue. Not related to the router CPU.

Generally, using WPA2/AES in draft 11n products yields no noticeable throughput reduction over no encryption. However, some products show some speed loss, usually in one direction, not both.
That's why we test for it.

It is a wireless chipset /driver issue. Not related to the router CPU.

Thanks for the quick reply & explanation. Do you think something like this might be fixed in a firmware update?

This is a great site & am very glad to have found it. I just purchased a DIR-655 A4 after reading many of your reviews & hope to have it set up (and replace my aging Netgear WGT624) soon =)

I have a question about this router.

We actually bought one but it is still in seal because it is an Hardware Version A3 instead of A4 which we wanted, becase of the review of the new A4. And we still can take it back to the shop as long it is in seal.

But I have a question about this thing, because they tested both A3 and A4 with different firmwares, so does anyone know wether this new higher output values of the A4 come from different internal hardware or just because of the newer firmware version?

Do I need to get an A4 or just upgrade my A3's firmware? Is there any test between the A3 and A4 where they have the same firmware? Or can you guys say that the better results of the A4 is definitely because of the different internal hardware?

Thanks in advance

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!